Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
csochs

Drives: minivan-blah, 1300cc Motorbikr-yeah
Why not the 1LE ?

First, I apologize if this is covered alresdy. I didn't find exactly what I was seeking in the ZL1 forum. I asked this question on the 1LE side of the forum and thought it fair to ask here as well. But I did t want to start any flames. Serious question.

Why choose the ZL1

I know this sounds like a stupid question but I test drove both. My observations are 1LE exhaust is louder, more growl. ZL1 more power and the power is more smooth. ZL1 has magnetic ride. 1LE was comfortable even without MRC.

My driving will be road course, autocross, country/canyon roads, mountain passes, long distance driving (400-2000 miles 2-5 per year) and daily jaunts to clear the brain.

Is the power in the ZL1 usable for my interests or too much?
Cant the 1LE be upgraded to ZL1 power output and keep its track agility?

Love both cars. Amazing handling,sound and driving experience. Would love a better interior.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by csochs; 10-26-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I was looking at both when I got my ZL1.. the zl1 had everything I was going to do to the 1le but with a warranty. Also the rear end being as monstrous as it is compared to the ss as well as the axles made it a no brainer for me. It also did not hurt I got such a smoking deal on the zl1 Love them both and you can't go wrong with a 1le.

Is the horsepower too much? Never heard of such a thing.. if you are going to fast let off the skinny pedal a little or use the ZL1's awesome brakes.

ZL1 pros

Brakes
Rear end
Axles
Mag ride
Lsa motor.
Hood (I like) lol

1le pros

Cheaper and still a awesome car.

Last edited by JackalopeZL1; 10-26-2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Bigtime53

Your question is not a stupid one,this is how you learn. I did not know about this site until after I bought my ZL1 or I would have asked some questions to. I had seen a 1LE and was not aware of the ZL1 until I was looking for info on the 1LE. Now this was in 2012. I was really impressed with this new high perf car {ZL1}and could not live without it! I compared the two cars but being a horsepower junkie the ZL1 was the one I had to have. I thought about buying the 1LE and then adding goodies to it for more HP but as stated above the ZL1 is built to handle the HP and with a warranty. So I guess it comes down to what you can afford being the Z has a much higher price than the 1LE. Either way you are still getting a camaro that I think is a awesome car and built by a group of people who take pride in what they do. Good luck with which ever one you choose to buy.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I went through a similar progression as the others. I wanted a naturally asperated engine and was hoping the Z/28 was going to be a 1LE spec with the LS7 engine. When that didn't happen, I considered buying a 1LE and add cam, headers and ZL1 rear axle. Math doesn't work. The ZL1 has so much more for a bargain price.

The ZL1's power isn't too much. It comes on so smooth that it doesn't feel like enough unless the tires are cold.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 10-26-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I think for a large group of us, the 1LE wasn't available when we ordered our Zl1's.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I think for a large group of us, the 1LE wasn't available when we ordered our Zl1's.
Yup, what he said. Both incredible cars.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
JackalopeZL1

I am reading guys breaking their 1le rear ends a lot once they add more power..

And just like in the previous post there is nothing the zl1 won't do better stock for stock as expected
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
I am reading guys breaking their 1le rear ends a lot once they add more power..

And just like in the previous post there is nothing the zl1 won't do better stock for stock as expected
True and if you decide to mod the ZL you have a huge head start and a platform that will handle the added power.

I would also add that the mag ride control works pretty good. When you come upon some hammered roads, put it in tour mode and it takes the bumps pretty well. When it smooths out put it back into you mode of choice. This great when you are out on long drives where you find many different roads in great to poor shape. This also makes it a stand out touring car.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I had a 2013 1/LE..it was the car before my current ZL1. It was a 2SS and it was camm'd and supercharged with all the best stuff and supporting mods, id850 injectors, CAI intake, New Era custom tune and install, etc...
I would say I had about 14k invested in it. Car was a beast at 612 rwhp.
Fast forward the story..... shortly after I did this I test drove a ZL1 and I couldn't believe how much more I liked it. (idiot for not doing this before the Modding of the 1/le, but you live and ya learn I guess)
The ride quality , shifts of the tranny, and overall feel of the car was so greatly improved. It was something I had to have. The Ptm modes as Well are so great, they allow you to put down all the power once the tires are warm, (something my 1/le had a lot of problem with, traction ).
Now with the above said and not getting to overly into this conversation /thread.... the supercharged 1/le was a great and fun car and had gobs of power, a lot unusable but overall I really liked it. Bottom line is I LOVE my current ZL1, more then any car I have ever owned (8 different mustang's and 3 camaro's) and the 1/Le will never ever be a ZL1, I don't care how much power you throw at it ..I have just an intake on my car right now and it feels more powerful then my previous car ever was due to being able to use all that power, can't imagine when I get into some basic bolt ons .

Both are great cars but I had to have the best.....and the best was a no brainer....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
This is totally a personal choice that one has to make. IMO it makes no difference which camaro one pics, just as long as he or she is making the choice that they like best.

I have a lot of respect for the 1LE, and I cannot think of a bad thing to say about it. It greatly improved the handling of the 'SS, and it comes with an aggressive exterior package. The '14 re-style really did wonders for the 1LE IMO. I'm not fond of the wrapped hood, but that's my op. The 1LE could be the best bang for the buck choice in a Camaro.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
The ZL1 is built to haldle much more power than the 1LE. You start with 580hp and adding another 100+ (pulley, headers, CAI, tune)to it is no issue at all for the ZL1. The drive train components are overbuilt to handle significant power.

The brakes are amazing. They just don't fade or warp.

Now take a 1LE add 250+ hp and equivalent brakes, probably $13k? So start with a $41k 1LE and add $13k. Now you are right at the door for a ZL1.

If you don't plan on doing anything to the 1LE, it's a great deal, but if you plan on more then start with a better base to work from (ZL1)
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by csochs View Post
First, I apologize if this is covered alresdy. I didn't find exactly what I was seeking in the ZL1 forum. I asked this question on the 1LE side of the forum and thought it fair to ask here as well. But I did t want to start any flames. Serious question.

Why choose the ZL1

I know this sounds like a stupid question but I test drove both. My observations are 1LE exhaust is louder, more growl. ZL1 more power and the power is more smooth. ZL1 has magnetic ride. 1LE was comfortable even without MRC.

My driving will be road course, autocross, country/canyon roads, mountain passes, long distance driving (400-2000 miles 2-5 per year) and daily jaunts to clear the brain.

Is the power in the ZL1 usable for my interests or too much?
Cant the 1LE be upgraded to ZL1 power output and keep its track agility?

Love both cars. Amazing handling,sound and driving experience. Would love a better interior.

Thanks!!!!

mainly it is just a faster, more robust, slighty better handling car. I like the looks better too. it is fatter though. there are some aspects of the 1le like initial turn it that might feel a tad nicer though on the 1le.

that being said the 1le drives great, handles good, great bang for the buck.

to me you buy a 1le when you can't afford a zl1 or you don't want the MAG ride suspension. even then though if money is no object you buy the Z/28 in that case.

I really like the 1le but to mod it the way I would want would cost alot and the car is still just 1le resale. If the Zl1 was out of my budget though buying a 1le and then just building as you go will get you an awesome perfroming car.

For me I really just thought the Zl1 was about the best looking camaro ever produced since 1969. Looks are subjective though.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by csochs View Post

Thanks!!!!
As noted, both great cars. My personal opinion (having very little time in a 1LE, so others may disagree) on your options:

road course - Zl1. Faster, and built for the power upgrades. You could beat a Zl1 with a 1LE and mods, but there is no advantage (outside of cash) to going that route. GM ran both cars as VIR and the Zl1 was 6+ seconds quicker, stock for stock.

autocross - 1LE - the power and brakes aren't needed as much on most course, and I imagine you can take advantage of lighter 1LE

country/canyon roads, mountain passes - Zl1 (depending upon preference) I enjoy the always-there power to be used any time I want, like getting by quickly in the passing zone on my favorite roads. The 1LE is no slouch here though. Again, I imagine the 1LE may feel a little more toss-able due to the lighter weight, but the ZL1 does not feel nearly as heavy as it is.

long distance driving (400-2000 miles 2-5 per year) - I would suspect the ZL1, as you can move between touring and sport as you desired for both steering and suspension setups.. Again, not enough time in a 1LE for me to be conclusive.

daily jaunts - either should be great, but again, the extra power, even if not used much, would push the Zl1 to the front in my mind.

For the last few, if you care at all about mpg, the 1le gets a little bump up there.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I had the choice, and it was really no choice personally. Getting all the road course capabilities of the Zl1, with no mods needed and a warranty, was what I wanted. Although the 1LE wouldn't be too far behind.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Eric_l

Drives: 2012 SW ZL1,Porsche Cayman S
I was actually walking into a dealership to place an order for a 1LE when my wife says to me: "would you be interested in that used white ZL1 over there?" There happened to be a 2012 white ZL1 parked next to the entrance of the Chevy dealer's new car showroom. We took it for a test drive and 4+ hours later I was driving the ZL1 home. My impressions:

1) 1LE revs faster and easier, but there is simply NO comparison to the ZL1's power. You have to be warry w/ your right foot. It can spin the tires at darn near any speed if your in the right gear. (My ZL1 was tuned w/ the JLT intake when I bought it.)
2) The ZL1 gets _horrible_ gas millage. Knew it going in, but I'm lucky to get 16.5 mpg w/ highway driving in Florida.
3) The suspension is hard to tell. The previous owner put the stage 4 BMR suspension on the ZL1, but even with that I find the car very comfortable to drive daily. I only spent a couple of test drives in the 1LE but I found it to be just as comfortable. (So take this perspective w/ a chunk of salt....)
4) I was going to option up my 1LE w/ 2SS, RS, Recaro's, etc. All stuff that the ZL1 had on it as well (except the Recaro's that was not available in 2012).
5) There is something to be said for exclusivity. You simply do not see many ZL1's on the road. Even though I darn near bought a 1LE its still kinda a "normal" Camaro SS.

Hard choice, but it comes down to what you want her for, I think they both _really_ kick!!!

-Eric

Closed Thread