Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
NO LIFT SHIFTING

I'm trying to find the "No Lift Shifting" instructions in The Owners Manual. Can't seem to find, I understand how it should be done, but I'd like to see what the manual has to say. If anyone knows what page it's on, thanks for posting. Figured it would be w/Launch Control and Competitive Driving. Like to read it over before going out and giving it a try.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
I'm trying to find the "No Lift Shifting" instructions in The Owners Manual. Can't seem to find, I understand how it should be done, but I'd like to see what the manual has to say. If anyone knows what page it's on, thanks for posting. Figured it would be w/Launch Control and Competitive Driving. Like to read it over before going out and giving it a try.
I found no specific info about the No-Lift-Shift feature in the Owners Manual however, this video from GM describes its proper use.

You can FF to the NO-LIFT-SHIFT dialog at +1:34 in the Video
Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Normagene

Thanks, I enjoyed watching that video. Only wish they had demonstrated the "no lift shifting" like they did the launch control. It's funny how they refer you back to the Owners Manual. But there's nothing in the manual on the No Lift Shifting, that I can find. It was still a very good video. I'm gana give the no lift a try. Also the launch control and the open throttle coming out of a turn in one of the PTM modes. Tried it before, but I chickened out and let off the throttle, even knowing the manual states the engine will only allow the acceleration necessary (pg 940, Owners Manual) for a smooth and consistent corner exit.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
Even with the ptm modes active, you still do not want to just wide open throttle out of corners, you could still get way out of control before the TC kicks in. Its best to modulate the throttle enough to maintain traction, and rely on the ptm for a safety net.

Also, you do not need to be in a ptm mode to use the no lift shift, just hold the throttle wide open when your at your shift point.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I've done all of the above with my ZL1 and I've reached a conclusion. While power shifting and no lift shifting work, it's not the best way with the Tremec. I think the trans shifts best with fast quick pulls with properly timed clutch engagement and letting off the throttle. It is also best to short shift, meaning pull at about 5900 rpm. Going much over 6000 usually results in hitting the rev limiter. I'm convinced the rev limiter in the stock calibration is before the redline on the tach. Just my .02 based on my own experience.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Normagene

I guess the only sure way to find out is give it a try myself and come to my own conclusion. Since its the only vehicle i know of that has this feature, why not test it out. It's gotta be fun and exhilarating. Tried the Launch Control in my SS and was disappointed. It just didn't grip, way too much tire spin, and I was able to get a faster launch on my own.

In a PTM at WOT coming out of a turn, per instructions in the owners manual, I understand there will start to be a loss of tire grip and the traction control will kick in, but according to the instructions (and some demo videos I watched) it is suppose to be easily controllable. Sure hope so since I'll be re-attempting it, like I said earlier, I chickened out last time and had to let off the throttle. Let you know how the No Lift Shifting feels/handles.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
instructions: Hold the throttle down and make sure your RPMs are above 5k RPM, grab clutch and upshift and let go of clutch again while keeping throttle pinned...do this quickly and you will maintain boost between shifts. No lift shifting is also independent of any PTM mode so it is essentially always "On"

2012 ZL1 Coupe (M6) #80 (SOLD)

2007 Ducati 1098 (SOLD)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Track/Race Only )
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Do you plan on going to the track? I would recommend power shifting first then practice no lift shift. Practice with the car in park and engine off ala the ranger method (make sure the engine and trans are at operating temp). With nls you have to stab the clutch super fast at WOT above a certain rpm; otherwise it won't work. It can be pretty hairy on the street.
its very hairy at first and i believe you have to have a manual transmission for the no lift part. if you let off gas even for a thought the car automatically comes out of performance mode. when you hit the gears right though , hold on! trickiest part is convincing your brain to keep the gas mashed while your other foot is mashing the clutch back in
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
I have no problem with the 1-2 and the 3-4 NLS, but when I went to the dragstrip I couldn't pull off the 2-3 NLS. It would never go into 3rd. I ended up lifting off the throttle for the 2-3 shift.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
ive got it down pretty well to where my drag radials chirp when i hit 3rd
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
trainman

Drives: 2012 CTS V,2000 Firehawk, SRT Ram
I know this is not a ZL1, but here is a video of no lift shifting (power shifting) in my SRT-10 Ram. I just purchased a new CTS V Coupe with 6-speed manual and I have the no lift feature in it also. I shift with my foot to the floor whenever I race, but I 've been doing it a long time. I also had the rev limiter moved on the CTS V to allow me to get into the power peak without hitting the rev limiter. I will be at Famoso raceway this Sunday (April 14, Bakersfield, Ca) and there will be a modified ZL1 and a very fast 45th Anniv Camaro there also. Enjoy the video.

Here is what it sounds like from outside, me vs. a new Z06 (LS7) with drag radials, he's a little slow on the light.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...C6B92EuvQ#t=0s

Last edited by trainman; 04-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
trainman

Drives: 2012 CTS V,2000 Firehawk, SRT Ram
Boy, I sure know how to kill a thread.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
shiner98

Drives: 13 AshGray M6 ZL1 w/Nav/ECF/Sunroof
I will never attempt any of these on my ZL1

I am not rich and can not afford very expensive repairs

and it just goes against every cell in my body

yes, I am a hard core car guy, but i'll never abuse my baby

I DO run my car hard, but not like it's not stolen !

Last edited by shiner98; 04-13-2013 at 10:35 PM.
shiner98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
Normagene

From all the GM videos on the ZL1 that I've watched this is the kink of driving the car is made and designed to do. It's the main function of a track ready vehicle. I imagine if you drove like this in every instance, from traffic light to traffic light, yes it would be abuse. The purpose of these cars is to be driven hard and fast. Nothing wrong if you want to baby it and drive it like "driving miss daisy" to each their own. For me, not to try out what the car is made to do defeats the purpose of having one. I'm not driving it all out every time I get behind the wheel. I do have to say she really purrs when I let her be a muscle car. Seems like we're both very happy, although I must admit I know I really don't possess the skill level to really even come close to letting this car be what it was designed to be.