Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
AngeloVEnforcer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Gunna buy a camaro, have some questions...

Hey guys, I used to be in the car business (Chevy, Pontiac-GMC), being a GM lover and a lover of the Camaro, I'm gunna pick one up in a couple of months.

I'm getting a 2LT V6, but I want to customize it.

First off, what are your experiences with the V6 in terms of power overall. I've test driven it and it seem OK, but it was only a test drive (I didn't really cut loose).

I want to get a good exhaust for it, any suggestions?

I also want custom chrome rimes and body kit, any good ideas as to what I should get?
AngeloVEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloVEnforcer View Post
Hey guys, I used to be in the car business (Chevy, Pontiac-GMC), being a GM lover and a lover of the Camaro, I'm gunna pick one up in a couple of months.

I'm getting a 2LT V6, but I want to customize it.

First off, what are your experiences with the V6 in terms of power overall. I've test driven it and it seem OK, but it was only a test drive (I didn't really cut loose).

I also want custom chrome rimes and body kit, any good ideas as to what I should get?
Overall power depends on what you are used to and what you intend the car to do. I was spoiled in that I have been driving v8 Camaros for 28 years so a v6 in a 3770 lb car has taken me awhile to get used to.It lacks the bottom end torque of the v8 but they have done a nice job with the trans gearing and the vvt cam design to help out. The car will run better after 3-4000 miles like most cars also.Around town in normal stop and go I do not need or miss the v8 as it is not usable in that type of driving,also mine is an auto trans and don't miss the manual much either, again stop and go is mostly what I do all week and the auto has sport and manual mode to play with. I do love to get out and rev this thing as it loves to play in the 3500-6500 rpm range and really moves out.Power is more then enough for street driving, example when getting on the freeway and you have to merge in with traffic and say doing 55 or so, punch it, the auto downshifts immediately to 4000 rpm and in 2-3 seconds you are at 85 mph!
For legal mods in Kali I did what is in my sig. These along with 91 octane gas can add maybe 20-25 rwhp tops and a like number in torque which helps out alot in acceleration and fun factor without breaking the bank.
To compare a stock car can do 0-60 in 5.8-6 seconds and 14.4-14.6 in the 1/4 mile. One person here with basicallly the same mods I have done and with alot of track time has gotten down to 13.87 in the 1/4 with cool air and good track, and about 5.4 0-60, some lower then that in 0-60.

These are close to the times a 98 z28 would do stock with 345 hp/350 lb ft torque and 400 lbs lighter also!

As to exhaust I like what I have as has low /no drone, is good sounding with a low deep sound but not loud till you want it to be then it roars!
But I suggest look in the v6 ehaust section and there are alot off vids to listen to as they all are a little different.

The Wheels and gfx your on your own. Hope this helps.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
pennor

Drives: 2011 2LT - 73 Corvette 454
I think you'll love the 2LT. I have one and it's really more than adequate for everything I want to do and more. It has as much power and I suspect (though I don't have the numbers) that it will match the quarter mile times of my '73 Vette.

It sounds like you want to make yours into a custom or perhaps a show car. That being the case, the 2LT is once again a great choice. It's a personal thing, but I think that the engine cover on the V6 looks really great, I actually like it better than the V8 one (OK, I'm standing by to be flamed on this comment). As a bonus, you'll get better mileage with the V6 and be able to run regular gas vs. premium in the V8.
pennor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
MaddogZ28

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28, 2011 SS/RS
Not trying to be an ass but with all the money you'll be spending on your LT you could probably be pretty close to getting a 1SS. If you care about power, thats the way to go.

No need for a flame war LT guys, its just a suggestion feel free to take it or leave it, I'm just throwing it out there just in case he hasn't thought of it.
MaddogZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
pennor

Drives: 2011 2LT - 73 Corvette 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogZ28 View Post
Not trying to be an ass but with all the money you'll be spending on your LT you could probably be pretty close to getting a 1SS. If you care about power, thats the way to go.

No need for a flame war LT guys, its just a suggestion feel free to take it or leave it, I'm just throwing it out there just in case he hasn't thought of it.
Comment noted, accepted, and no war here.
pennor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I own a V6 and have test driven the V8 and honestlythe 8 has got more pow out of the hole but once you're up to speed there's not a lot of difference. How much does quick out of the hole mean to you? I did like the feel of the clutch in the V8 and who doesn't like to get slammed back in their seat.
I'm extremely happy with my V6, and while I love the V8 rumble and thrust it's not high on my priority list. V6 gets the job done for me just fine.
My suggestion is go back and drive that V6 like you want to and see if it performs to your satisfaction under stress.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
AngeloVEnforcer

Appreciate all the comments, I'm mostly buying it for looks, being someone who has driven and sold Trans Ams and Camaros, I would love a V8. But the price, gas, and insurance would make it WAY out of my budget. I'm gunning for a V6 mostly being 300HP is my benchmark, it's all I need really.

Now, with the 1LT vs. 2LT discussion, since I'm probably gunning for a custom/show car, which trim gives me the most flexibility for customization? Is the 2LT worth the extra few thousand bucks?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Chase Jacobs

Drives: RED JEWEL CAMARO V6 2lt
Go manual you will like it more.
Chase Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Jacobs View Post
Go manual you will like it more.
I second that motion. Going with the six speed gives you the option of swapping to a more aggressive rear end gear ratio which really brings these LTs to life.

After that all you need to do is open up the intake and exhaust, get her tuned, shed some weight, and get a decent suspension set up and you will surprise a lot of people.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Rs package helps a lot. I personally like Razzi ground efftects. Colored Halos from AAC always make people take a double take.
I would go for flow master exhaust the only one that doesn't sound ricey to me
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloVEnforcer View Post
I've got the Corsa and I like it so far. When just cruising, it's a little louder than stock, but when you get on the gas it really roars. Probably check out the exhaust thread and YouTube. There are lots of sound clips & vids. I've heard good things about the MRT systems too.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I too have a V6....in fact BOTH of my cars have the same engine...and I LOVE IT. A lot of people think V6.....and don't have a clue how much power its got....if fact, from 67 to now, minus OUR current v8, only one year camaro with a small black had more HP from teh factory than our V6! when our club did a nice road trip not long ago down some very windy roads....the V6 guys had NO PROBLEM keeping up with the V8 guys.....and they were very surprised.....if you do a lot of highway driving......your love this car....you come up behind someone takeing their time, say going 60, pull out and go to the floor, and before you kniow it, and you can see them in the rear view, you are going 90 plus! in the blink of an eye.....I LOVE THIS CAR!!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
AngeloVEnforcer

I'm thinking i should spend less on the car with the 1LT model, and spend the money on upgrades. I'm not too keen on all the bells and whistles stuff, I just want a Camaro, then trick it out for looks to get it ready. It's gunna be my on the town car and commuter, my wife has a RAV4 that we use for pretty much everything as it is.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I think that if you want to upgrade the car you wont regret buying a 2LT/RS. From there you'll enjoy the RS package and all that it offers. Compared to a 1LT it does make a big difference. Most of the guys I know (members in my region), all 1LT owners wished they had bought a 2LT/RS at first, but well they just did'nt know a the early stage of the existence of the Cam5.

As for exhaust, check Solo Performance on the thread. It will be my choice next spring. I've seen 3 of them with J - Pipes and the sound is great.

I prefered only a front lip. ASC Advance Composite will have a new model for the 3,6L very soon and this company does a great job for Camaros.
montreal2010yellow is offline   Reply With Quote