Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
torque

Drives: None
Want to buy a ZL1, some questions if you dont' mind

Hi ,

I am seriously toying with the idea of buying a ZL1 soon, after Christmas...
I am relocating to Boston and need a new drive obviously

My previous car was an M3 E46, previous to that an M3 E36. (I don't like the M3 E92 or E90, nor any new model BMW's; they're just off).

I am looking at used market, under 10,000 miles samples I see on cars.com.

I would prefer a 2013 just for the LCD screen and nicer navigation, but 2012 is not out of the questions; which brings out the following questions:

Do all of them 2012 models have Heads up display in the windscreen, or is it a special order feature? I like that feature, I think it's neat . Is that changed in 2013 at all ?

How does the navigation work on the 2012 model, I see no LCD screen, so it must be using the little green screen between the 2 dash dials ? Is that usable?

Are there any other changes from 2012 to 2013 models, that are worthwhile ?

Many thanks all
torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
Hi ,

I am seriously toying with the idea of buying a ZL1 soon, after Christmas...
I am relocating to Boston and need a new drive obviously

My previous car was an M3 E46, previous to that an M3 E36. (I don't like the M3 E92 or E90, nor any new model BMW's; they're just off).

I am looking at used market, under 10,000 miles samples I see on cars.com.

I would prefer a 2013 just for the LCD screen and nicer navigation, but 2012 is not out of the questions; which brings out the following questions:

Do all of them 2012 models have Heads up display in the windscreen, or is it a special order feature? I like that feature, I think it's neat . Is that changed in 2013 at all ?

How does the navigation work on the 2012 model, I see no LCD screen, so it must be using the little green screen between the 2 dash dials ? Is that usable?

Are there any other changes from 2012 to 2013 models, that are worthwhile ?

Many thanks all

HUD is standard on ZL1

Turn by turn navigation is standard on both years through Onstar. 2013 could be ordered with navigation in dash.

Good luck hunting for a ZL1 it's a fun car.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
jpclutch@msn.com

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Too bad you're not closer to California, I'm looking to sell my 2013 ZL1 auto vert- it's blue ray metallic. Only 1050 miles and just like from the showroom.... I just decided that I don't have the time or need to drive it, what a shame, it really is a nice car!
jpclutch@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...forget gambling, horse racing, girl friends on the side, fantasy leagues etc..etc.., if you are looking for thrills and andrenaline rushes, this is it. Plus, it's gives you all that performance with comfort. You won't wan't to get out of it...it will beg you drive it more. It crosses all boundries and is the total package. I don't have NAV, but the '12 has a "black and white" per se HUD. It looks like an old Nintendo console. But it's functional and has a pulsing ball shift light screen in the DIC as well if you wan't to focus on that instead of the HUD tach or dash tach.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpclutch@msn.com View Post
Too bad you're not closer to California, I'm looking to sell my 2013 ZL1 auto vert- it's blue ray metallic. Only 1050 miles and just like from the showroom.... I just decided that I don't have the time or need to drive it, what a shame, it really is a nice car!
Thanks, but I would probably prefer a coupe, not a vert... In Boston weather, that vert mechanism will get rust from non-use . And I am a manual guy.. I always will drive a manual, no matter what ( as long as they make them)

Cheers
Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
BHamm

Drives: Sierra 2500HD Denali, 14 Camaro ZL1
Boston gets cold in the winter, right? If its an only car you may want to consider an AWD car like an Audi, but if you are set on a ZL1 you may need a set of winter tires for the snow. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHamm View Post
Boston gets cold in the winter, right? If its an only car you may want to consider an AWD car like an Audi, but if you are set on a ZL1 you may need a set of winter tires for the snow. Good luck.
Good point. This is not a DD in weather below 40 degrees. It's a summer, or warmer temp fun ride to use on days where road conditions and weather permits. You can put winter tread on it and drive it I suspect, but I wouldn't advise taking it out in the inclement weather.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
torque

Thanks all. I will definitely need to get a second set of wheels with winter tread. My other car (wife's actually) is an A3 quattro so that holds it's own well on snow
Old 12-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Ok, so I have a '12. The HUD is nice. I use it all the time for speedo, don't even look down ever. The nav, well, it is what it is. I use my phone and the Onstar directions for a back up plan. It's happened a couple of times and I was glad to have it. It pops up on the radio and maybe the HUD, but it's not like it's just there the whole time so you can preview it.

I really wanted a '12 because it's the first year they came out and that was important to me. If you don't care about that and the Nav is more important then I'd lean towards the '13s.

Although don't the 13's have hill assist? That would just piss me off.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I've got the hill assist on my'14 and I also thought what a useless option but I have to admit that I've really got to like it as well as all the other toys it came with. Most importantly GM seems to have their sh!t together with this car and I think I might love my car more now then when I got it. Now I'm use to the gadgets and the power and I'm more comfortable with the car. Also, I put snow tires on mine and while we don't really get winter here in Vancouver I have to say that it handles the weather just fine but keep your foot out of it on the slippery stuff which is another whole challenge in itself.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Good point. This is not a DD in weather below 40 degrees. It's a summer, or warmer temp fun ride to use on days where road conditions and weather permits. You can put winter tread on it and drive it I suspect, but I wouldn't advise taking it out in the inclement weather.
Many people dd Rwd drive sports cars with high hp.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
In order to use navigation in the 2012 model you have to have a subscription to the OnStar Directions and Connections plan which is roughly $10 a month higher than a standard OnStar subscription. With that plan, you have to call into OnStar and tell them where you want to go, and the representative you talked to will then input that destination in the "navigation system". From there the representative will hang up, and you will get voice instructions from a computer like any other GPS system. The next turn can show up in the DIC between the tachometer and speedometer as well as in the HUD.

With the 2013, the MyLink navigation screen works like any other nav screen. When the car is not moving you can enter addresses, intersections, locations, search points of interest, etc. You can also use MyLink voice commands to do the same while driving. I have not learned all the voice commands since I rarely use them, but I guess it can be convenient. I personally love the 2013 with the MyLink system. It is leagues better than the UConnect system in my parents 2014 Chrysler Town and Country and the Honda Satellite Link system in my fiances 2014 Honda CR-V.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #13
torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
In order to use navigation in the 2012 model you have to have a subscription to the OnStar Directions and Connections plan which is roughly $10 a month higher than a standard OnStar subscription. With that plan, you have to call into OnStar and tell them where you want to go, and the representative you talked to will then input that destination in the "navigation system". From there the representative will hang up, and you will get voice instructions from a computer like any other GPS system. The next turn can show up in the DIC between the tachometer and speedometer as well as in the HUD.

With the 2013, the MyLink navigation screen works like any other nav screen. When the car is not moving you can enter addresses, intersections, locations, search points of interest, etc. You can also use MyLink voice commands to do the same while driving. I have not learned all the voice commands since I rarely use them, but I guess it can be convenient. I personally love the 2013 with the MyLink system. It is leagues better than the UConnect system in my parents 2014 Chrysler Town and Country and the Honda Satellite Link system in my fiances 2014 Honda CR-V.
Thanks a lot, that explains it really well. I suppose I need to focus on a 2013 model
Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Genob4c

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Here's one that might work for you. Already got the tire issue taken care of. Had them swapped out for Conti Extreme Contact at the dealer before I took deivery. Semi-retiring, so it's time to let it go. 3,000 old man miles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331072101772...CA:MOTORS:1123

Geno

Former:
2013 ZL1 Vert – Crystal Red
1978 Corvette Pace Car
1969 Pace Car
1969 Z/28 – Cortez Silver, 1974 LT/Z28 Blue
1974 Z28 Dark Green , 1976 Camaro Type LT – Black
1980 Z28 – Charcoal, 1981 Z28 – Dark Blue
1981 Z28 – Claret, 1982 Pace Car
1986 IROC – Red, 1993 Z28 – Red
1996 Z28 vert, 1998 Z28 Dk Blue