Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
Not His, it's your large rims and summer tires. They stick like crazy it's a good thing but I hear ya.
Agreed... the 20" Summer Pirelli's are pretty darn sticky!

If you want to really do a burnout, throw down a bit of water.. don't be alarmed when only one tire spins... autos have an open diff...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
That would do it for sure!

But addressing the OP, why would you want to spin the tires? The goal for quick acceleration is to NOT spin. Get the power to the ground with little or no spinning is the goal we spend thousands on....
Lots of kids here.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I personally would prefer mine spin less, but if you want to light them up your also being held back by the torque management as well. You can get Vince at Trifecta to send you the transmission tune and it will reduce that (even elminate it if you want). It also will firm up the shifts and make thing a lot more fun to drive.

I found that the Injen CAI also improved the low-end torque a bit (butt dyno only), so you might look at that.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
My service manager measured the depth of my tire treads when we did an oil change at 4k miles... grinned at me and said "you haven't been burning your tires much, have you?" I grinned back and said "Are you kidding me? I already been to see my tire guy and know what replacements are going to cost me. No burnouts at all!"
My RS is a manual, and I'm a chick too honey, you're way better off to just give 'em a mona lisa smile and drive off sanely. I stepped in mine a little deep one day - truck coming on the highway I didn't want to get stuck behind and was surprised that I toasted tires and got a wee bit tailhappy. I wanted traction, not spin, but my bad, gave it a bit too much gas.
If you're not concerned with the price of tires, just go out on a back road and learn how to roast the rubber in private before you have another impress the bystanders fail.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #19
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
You could try what I did in the summer when I was 17 with my mom's 65 Olds Delta 88 with a 425 CI V-8. go to a deserted country road--smooth, sweaty blacktop--stop the car, put it in reverse, back up slowly, and while still moving backward at 1 or 2 mph, slam it in low and floor it! That heavy 4 door sedan would really lay down a smokin' patch of rubber!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
x7productions
x7productions.com

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 3-Series Coupe
Send a message via Skype™ to x7productions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not His View Post
I'm not stupid, I know how to peel out, however, this car just won't do it.

Traction control is off, brake on, gas on, slowly let off brake, slight fishtale, let off brake and... nothing. No squeal, no nothing. Lame.

I don't try to do it very often, but you know, there are times that call for it. Tonight called for it and I ended up looking like a chick that doesn't know how to drive.

What am I doing wrong? I've never had a problem doing this before.
Lol, a little of topic, but I live in CA, and I did this in my 350z in a parking lot coming out of it onto the street, and I didn't see there was a cop across the street, he pulled me over, and I got a ticket for Exhibition of Speed. He labeled it an infraction.

3 weeks later, I got the thing in the mail and long story short it was a misdemeanor and like a $1000 fine and they wanted me serve a 6-month sentence in Sacramento County jail.

After pricey attorney fees, I got off on an infraction, traffic school, and paying the fine, but yeah, just a heads up. I thought it was pretty stupid. Never ever going to do that again haha.

Go like our Facebook Fan Page!
http://facebook.com/x7productions/
x7productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #21
barnesql

Drives: 95' Z28, 2010 2ss RS
OP, if you are driving an automatic then it is pretty easy. Put it in drive...push the brake ALL the way in...rev the gas ALL the way until your tires are spinning...then let go, but keep the gas going and you will fly. Just watch your redline though. Mine is an SS, but I am sure that the six bangers can do it also.

Magnaflow 3" Competition Series Catback
Off road x-pipe
Kooks LT Headers
barnesql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #22
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
V6?
Last V6 I drove flat fried them. So it's not that..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #23
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I have more of a problem keeping mine from spinning. I have to give it very little gas at a light to avoid lighting my tires up, but when I want to I have no problem at all. I just don't do it often because I'd rather not replace my tires every 3 months.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #24
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
V6 can definately peel out. I woke up my neighbours one day because I wanted to try it LOL. It left some marks in my neighbourhood. Needless to say, i never did it in my neighbourhood again lol.

I'm in Automatic, turn off traction control and whatnot. Set it in sport. I dont even need to accelerate while braking, I can peel out with right foot brake, and right foot pedal. Believe me, the V6 is one lively S.O.B.

I realized it's more lively after my breakin though, I tried doing it RIGHT after breakin, and it felt impossible to do. Now i does it too easily, kinda annoying lol.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7productions View Post
Lol, a little of topic, but I live in CA, and I did this in my 350z in a parking lot coming out of it onto the street, and I didn't see there was a cop across the street, he pulled me over, and I got a ticket for Exhibition of Speed. He labeled it an infraction.

3 weeks later, I got the thing in the mail and long story short it was a misdemeanor and like a $1000 fine and they wanted me serve a 6-month sentence in Sacramento County jail.

After pricey attorney fees, I got off on an infraction, traffic school, and paying the fine, but yeah, just a heads up. I thought it was pretty stupid. Never ever going to do that again haha.
That's why I go to the track! No tickets!!! My wife laughs at me because I drive the speed limit around town and calls me Grandpa... I tell her I get my adrenalin fix at the track, including burnouts!!! And no worries about any moving violations! LOL!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
x7productions
x7productions.com

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 3-Series Coupe
Send a message via Skype™ to x7productions
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
That's why I go to the track! No tickets!!! My wife laughs at me because I drive the speed limit around town and calls me Grandpa... I tell her I get my adrenalin fix at the track, including burnouts!!! And no worries about any moving violations! LOL!
+1
An expensive lesson learned for me

Go like our Facebook Fan Page!
http://facebook.com/x7productions/
x7productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #27
Not His

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro, IBM/LT1/RS
Thanks everyone for the tips and info. I'm going to head over to the high school parking lot and try some of this stuff. Sorry, I didn't realize there were other threads on this topic. I'll do a search next time.

Not His is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #28
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
No need to be sorry! I think it is the 20 inch Pirellis that are killing me. I have a M6 but I cannot spin em unless I am sloped up. Like you I just want to do it once haha, my wife tells me I drive like a Grandpa too But, a bright yellow Camaro attracts cops like fleas to a hound!

I seem to remember when Iwas a kid in the 70s putting bleach on the back tires for a lot of smoke, or maybe dish washing soap too. For you young kids that was BEFORE dishwashers!

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote