Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #57
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
My 1LE has them. I always run the hud in tach / speed mode. The shift lights show up no matter what drive mode I have it in.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #58
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Only 1LE and ZL1 HUD has the shift lights.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #59
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
My 1LE has them. I always run the hud in tach / speed mode. The shift lights show up no matter what drive mode I have it in.

Anyone have a photo? I have yet to see them in my 18.

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #60
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I've seen them, but i rarely rev the motor that much as torque is not at peak.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #61
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
I see them flash green in first gear right past 4k rpm. Other gears, it doesnt do it. Maybe it does closer to redline, but haven't been up past 5.5k yet.

I have the HUD displaying the tach bar and speed. The lights are on both sides of the tach bar.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #62
Cgocifer

More info here:

They exist but nobody seems to know exactly what parameters are required to initiate them. Hard acceleration or floured pedal seems to activate them.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478343
Old 07-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #63
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfiredog View Post
I have an A8 but I have read about it in the manual when I read it.

Well if its in the manual I paid for it but didn't get it. I think I will sue for it to be fixed or get a partial refund!!!
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #64
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Well if its in the manual I paid for it but didn't get it. I think I will sue for it to be fixed or get a partial refund!!!
Are you being serious?

Dual zone climate control is in the manual as well.. but not all Camaros have it.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #65
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

I found this on the Chevy SS forum, not sure if it works for Camaros...

HUD Shift Meter and what it means...
This either belongs in electronics or here, but I figured six of one... so I posted here.

So I searched and searched - here, Camaro Forums, Corvette forums, and found nothing that definitively answered what the OM should have about the HUD's shift lights. What exactly are the ins and outs of the shift lights in the HUD? The OM is utterly silent on the meaning of any of it... Thanks, Obama.

I know I've always just looked at the tach, and "purists" will say there is no alternative, but the cowling in this car makes that a little less intuitive than in cars with better ergonomics. The tach in the HUD is, while perhaps neat and useful for some purposes, not ideal for quick shifting. So I went to the shift graph in the HUD as my next alternative.

Having shift lights front and center makes enough sense, though the implementation could be far better. I know contrast is an issue in the HUD already, but the very faint outlines of the "unlit" arrows that appear on the screen are barely visible, which was my first hurdle... what exactly am I looking for there? Do they meet in the middle? Do I shift in the red? Yellow? What? What does any of it mean? I was actually not wanting to use them because I feared waiting for the red meant I was redlining the car... and it's **** hard to view both the HUD and the IP simultaneously. Plus the **** things only appear over 4,000 RPM, and if you have decelerated, etc., etc. they don't report for duty.

So I tested, repeatedly. Here's the skinny:

There are 8 arrows on each of the left and right side of the meter which start appearing at about 4000 RPM, (along with a hazy outline of the full graph "underneath") which begin marching toward each other, outside in, pointing to the opposite side as if it was blaming the other. First, 5 green segments per side sequentially illuminate, then they bleed into a yellowish/orange color for 2 segments, and then finally 1 set of red segments "kiss" in the middle, accompanied by the entire bar flashing at you. Shift now!

But what does it all mean? I've read plenty of misinformation, such as "it tells you to shift at redline" or "it tells you to shift for the fuel cutoff". All wrong. It tells you, with the red arrows and blinking, *when to shift.* How is that different? Well, in first gear, the shift lights blink red at about 5250RPM. My guess is that this is so you don't hit the fuel cutoff and botch your run, and since first is so quick, gives you some room for overrun. First to second is "red" at about 6000-6100. So it isn't redline, sure isn't fuel cutoff.

Hope this helps other people wondering this very thing. Should help with your 1/4 times.

There are still some mysteries about this, such as when the meter will appear, because it seems if you are already in a gear and have let off the accelerator and re-accelerate, they don't appear. I have to wonder what they were thinking...

-N

PS - I also added some pictures to illustrate my results from repeated testing. The first is just to illustrate the segments, the next two show first to second and second to third shift "blinking" points. Sorry about the blurriness, night time was needed for equal contrast between the IP and HUD, and, well, there's a lot going on...
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #66
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Just did some more research, might be just for the 1LE or ZL1 models.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #67
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Just did some more research, might be just for the 1LE or ZL1 models.
Well, mine is in fact a 1 LE and I have them. Not sure what the tach graph is in the HUD the post above mentions vs. the tach. In the HUD. Only one I have is a bar that goes left to right.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:46 PM   #68
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Yup, My 1LE has them. They turn on when the car figures you’re “performance driving”. They aren’t there in any sort of regular driving, but I can mash the pedal, even in Touring, and they turn on. This is in the HUD. It isnt anywhere else and wasn’t on my ‘16 1SS.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #69
satanschariot666
Banned

Drives: camaro
yes i seen the rpm lights
but doesnt seem like its always doing it
kinda weird
satanschariot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #70
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S