Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
ZL1 Addons Lift Point / Quick-Jacks questions

I have a set of ZL1 Add-ons Lift Points for my 2020 2SS I plan to install soon.

I know they go on the pinch weld and have set screws to hold them in place, I have a few questions:

1. Should I use some Loc-Tite? If so, which one? (I assume blue (I think))

2. Since the set screws are going to dig into the pinch weld (and scratch that paint off) should I put anything in that gap to keep it from corroding/rusting? (sealant of some sort?) If so, what is recommended?
I plan to install these to use with my Quick-Jack BL-5000SLX, I have the extensions for my 5000SLX so plan to put these blocks as far forward as I can and spaces them as far apart as I can.
3. When lifting with the Quick-Jack I assume just use one of the black rubber blocks and center it under the lift point? Any other concerns or things I should do to make things as stable as possible? If the flat rubber block the best choice?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
1) I'd suggest using blue. That reduces the risk of dropping one of the blocks as you drive down the road (bad day for your rear tires) and will be able to be removed easily, unlike red, if you ever have to remove the blocks.

2) I wouldn't mess with any sealant. If it's not a perfect seal it'll still let moisture in and likely accelerate the corrosion because it's holding moisture at the point that's unprotected. Kinda like how imperfect sealing coats on truck frames accelerate corrosion because it essentially forms pockets to keep what's corroding the steel right against the seal. IMO your better off sanding then using touch up paint if you see corrosion starting to pop up.

3) If using quick jacks, I think you'll have to use the "middle" and rear pinch weld cutouts. I don't think quick jacks are long enough to reach the front most cutout. I'm not familiar with the extensions, but when I've used quick jacks they didn't reach the front most cutout although that didn't have any issues with lifting or stability or anything like that. And yes, the single flat rubber blocks are best to use with the lift pads.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
1) I'd suggest using blue. That reduces the risk of dropping one of the blocks as you drive down the road (bad day for your rear tires) and will be able to be removed easily, unlike red, if you ever have to remove the blocks.

2) I wouldn't mess with any sealant. If it's not a perfect seal it'll still let moisture in and likely accelerate the corrosion because it's holding moisture at the point that's unprotected. Kinda like how imperfect sealing coats on truck frames accelerate corrosion because it essentially forms pockets to keep what's corroding the steel right against the seal. IMO your better off sanding then using touch up paint if you see corrosion starting to pop up.

3) If using quick jacks, I think you'll have to use the "middle" and rear pinch weld cutouts. I don't think quick jacks are long enough to reach the front most cutout. I'm not familiar with the extensions, but when I've used quick jacks they didn't reach the front most cutout although that didn't have any issues with lifting or stability or anything like that. And yes, the single flat rubber blocks are best to use with the lift pads.
I agree with all the above. I, however, didn't use thread locker when installing my lift points and the hardware remains tight after 15 months.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post

Many thanks for the feedback... That is what I was thinking on all accounts (especially #2)... Glad someone else reinforced my thoughts...

I'm hoping to be able to use the furthest forward area of the rear lift point and the very front lift point (as I have the extensions for my 5000SLX that make it a 5000EXT) but I'll certainly measure before cranking them tight to make sure what I can do... I've lifted my car many times from the center and aft lift points without the extensions (using pinchweld blocks) and it was fine, would prefer the front points if I can make them work...

I just make sure the gas tank is nearly full (also thought about buying a 50 lb bag of sand to throw in the back of the trunk for extra security when lifting...)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 11-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
1: I lost one on my last car so I use loctite red (permanent) but in all honestly blue should work fine, just use something on the threads

2: the ends of the set screws are flat so it wont dig in to paint unless you use so much force you bend the allen wrench

3: have only had my SS vert a week and haven't had my car on my quick jacks yet so cant tell you the best way

Here's a couple pics of the jack pads installed
Attached Images

joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
1: I lost one on my last car so I use loctite red (permanent) but in all honestly blue should work fine, just use something on the threads

2: the ends of the set screws are flat so it wont dig in to paint unless you use so much force you bend the allen wrench

3: have only had my SS vert a week and haven't had my car on my quick jacks yet so cant tell you the best way

Here's a couple pics of the jack pads installed
Thanks!

When you lost one, did it do any damage? That is my big fear about leaving these on, but I know a lot of people do without issue (I will certainly use blue Loc-Tite)

Old 11-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I have a QuickJack 5000EXT on order so can't speak from first hand experience, but I have read all the treads here I can find on Quickjack related to use of the pinchweld mounting points and reach dimensions of the 5000EXT (or 5000 SLX unit with the added extensions). The 5000EXT should be just long enough to reach the far front pinch weld points to the rear-most. For a bit more info, read-on:

If you mount the ZL1 Addon jack mount blocks as close together as possible (rear wheel block as far toward toward the front of vehicle as possible; front wheel block as far toward the rear as possible), they will be 66" apart. I've confirmed this is the case on my SS, with the ZL1 blocks added. The maximum lift-point block spacing on the Quickjack 5000EXT is 66", so it should just reach the ends of the ZL1 Addon blocks. One or two other forum members have reported this to be their actual experience, so sounds pretty solid.

To be clear though, there isn't going to be much room for error; you will need to carefully center the Quickjack frames front to back so the lifting blocks are perfectly positioned. If that proves to be too much of a pain in the ***, then I'll likely revert of using the middle and rear lift point as others are doing with their 5000SLX models.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I have a QuickJack 5000EXT on order so can't speak from first hand experience, but I have read all the treads here I can find on Quickjack related to use of the pinchweld mounting points and reach dimensions of the 5000EXT (or 5000 SLX unit with the added extensions). The 5000EXT should be just long enough to reach the far front pinch weld points to the rear-most. For a bit more info, read-on:

If you mount the ZL1 Addon jack mount blocks as close together as possible (rear wheel block as far toward toward the front of vehicle as possible; front wheel block as far toward the rear as possible), they will be 66" apart. I've confirmed this is the case on my SS, with the ZL1 blocks added. The maximum lift-point block spacing on the Quickjack 5000EXT is 66", so it should just reach the ends of the ZL1 Addon blocks. One or two other forum members have reported this to be their actual experience, so sounds pretty solid.

To be clear though, there isn't going to be much room for error; you will need to carefully center the Quickjack frames front to back so the lifting blocks are perfectly positioned. If that proves to be too much of a pain in the ***, then I'll likely revert of using the middle and rear lift point as others are doing with their 5000SLX models.
Thanks, I have only lifted my 2020 2SS once with the extensions but the block I have don't allow me to place them in the proper positions, I've lifted my car multiple times with the "center" and rear lift points without issue...

I did buy the lift points so I could use the extensions and use the maximum spread lift points...

Old 12-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #9
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
When you lost one, did it do any damage? That is my big fear about leaving these on, but I know a lot of people do without issue (I will certainly use blue Loc-Tite)
Nope, didn't even know I lost it until I went to lift the car and saw it was missing

ZL1 addons was great, they sent me a single replacement at no cost
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Capt, I wouldn't worry about adding weight to the rear when using the rearmost front location. I have a 5000SLX and had the rear cradle out, w/ jackstands under the motor - just in case. The car did not shift any weight to the stands. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Many thanks for the feedback... That is what I was thinking on all accounts (especially #2)... Glad someone else reinforced my thoughts...

I'm hoping to be able to use the furthest forward area of the rear lift point and the very front lift point (as I have the extensions for my 5000SLX that make it a 5000EXT) but I'll certainly measure before cranking them tight to make sure what I can do... I've lifted my car many times from the center and aft lift points without the extensions (using pinchweld blocks) and it was fine, would prefer the front points if I can make them work...

I just make sure the gas tank is nearly full (also thought about buying a 50 lb bag of sand to throw in the back of the trunk for extra security when lifting...)
Just out of curiosity, Captain, why did you remove your rotors? I can't imagine that you're having brake issues this early on.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #12
78yellow78

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I made a new pinch weld access forward of the rear access. I had to dremel out a tiny piece of plastic body work (not visible) to relocate my rear zl1 addon points. Now I can get my quick jack 5000 slx on the front lift point and not have so much unsupported front end hanging out.Name:  Old jack pads.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  151.4 KB This is with the jack points in the old position (and ugly winter wheels)Name:  New jack pads.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  130.7 KB This is with the rear points moved forward (and still ugly winter wheels).
78yellow78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift points, quickjack, zl1 addons