Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Fast Ken

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 Riverside Bl Metall
Front Brake Ducts For Track -Clarification?

I have read the Owner's Manual section (pgs 160-162) regarding Front Tire Deflectors, Lower Control Arm Deflectors and Disc Splash Shields. As far as I can tell my 2020 1LE did not come with any of those either on the car or in the trunk. I want to take advantage of what Chevrolet developed for ducting for the front brakes for Track Days. Part Numbers would be helpful.

P.S. I know this has been mentioned in several threads but I have not been successful in finding a detailed discussion on this subject.
Fast Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
This kit replaces the factory brake duct and splash shield and has parts for both sides.

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-84145204.html
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Fast Ken

Thank you! And I googled the part number and it has been replaced by #84433357 ($28.96 list price). It comes with 4 pieces (deflectors/shields) and the description "brake cooling for track use".
Any tips on installation?

Last edited by Fast Ken; 11-08-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ken View Post
Thank you! And I googled the part number and it has been replaced by #8433357 ($28.96 list price). It comes with 4 pieces (deflectors/shields) and the description "brake cooling for track use".
Easy peasy and they work !
Old 11-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ken View Post
Thank you! And I googled the part number and it has been replaced by #8433357 ($28.96 list price). It comes with 4 pieces (deflectors/shields) and the description "brake cooling for track use".
FYI, I think a 4 got dropped from that PN. Should be 84433357. If you order other parts from Summit I've found it cheap to buy through them as an add-on for an order that gets free shipping, was only $15 for me. Install is pretty easy, just take the wheels off or get on ramps/a hoist, unbolt the old parts, and bolt the new stuff on per the instructions in the packet.

That being said, keep in mind these are NOT needed for an SS 1LE using stock brakes. That's why you didn't find them in your trunk. These were developed for use on the SS because the 4 piston brakes are a bit too small to handle track use without extra cooling. Unless you're overheating the brakes (more aggressive pads or driving 10/10ths in hot weather kind of thing) all they really end up doing for the 1LEs is making clearances smaller (sometimes even rubbing depending on suspension position) and throwing more crud at the rotors that cars in front of you are kicking up. They will make temps cooler, but it's not required on the 1LE like it is for the SS. You can still run them if you want, completely up to you.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
....That being said, keep in mind these are NOT needed for an SS 1LE using stock brake pads for track days.....

This is true
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
Fast Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
FYI, I think a 4 got dropped from that PN. Should be 84433357. If you order other parts from Summit I've found it cheap to buy through them as an add-on for an order that gets free shipping, was only $15 for me. Install is pretty easy, just take the wheels off or get on ramps/a hoist, unbolt the old parts, and bolt the new stuff on per the instructions in the packet.

That being said, keep in mind these are NOT needed for an SS 1LE using stock brakes. That's why you didn't find them in your trunk. These were developed for use on the SS because the 4 piston brakes are a bit too small to handle track use without extra cooling. Unless you're overheating the brakes (more aggressive pads or driving 10/10ths in hot weather kind of thing) all they really end up doing for the 1LEs is making clearances smaller (sometimes even rubbing depending on suspension position) and throwing more crud at the rotors that cars in front of you are kicking up. They will make temps cooler, but it's not required on the 1LE like it is for the SS. You can still run them if you want, completely up to you.
Apha1BC- Editted post with correct part number. Thanks for the heads-up on the brakes need (or not) for more cooling.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
Alpha1BC

Old 11-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup i leave mine on year round!
Old 11-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #10
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yup i leave mine on year round!
Same. I didn't install the metal shields. The bolt heads snapped off of my two inner bolts probably from all of the scraping which wasn't a problem but just recently one of the middle heads snapped off too when I checked to make sure it was tight after an alignment so I bought some extractors to remove what's left in there so I can replace it. A few zip ties are holding on ok temporarily though.

I would recommend replacing the 6 small stock bolts when you install the track deflectors. Lowes has some that take the same socket size and are just slightly shorter. Also I lost 2 of those 6 bolts previously when the alignment tech didn't tighten them enough so hard to find a safe tightness/torque for them...maybe thread locker would help?

Also make sure to follow the wiring clip instructions. You push the clips up from below otherwise the wires could be damaged on full steering lock. You can probably install them with the car on the ground at full steering lock but easier to do it from under the car.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Same. I didn't install the metal shields. The bolt heads snapped off of my two inner bolts probably from all of the scraping which wasn't a problem but just recently one of the middle heads snapped off too when I checked to make sure it was tight after an alignment so I bought some extractors to remove what's left in there so I can replace it. A few zip ties are holding on ok temporarily though.

I would recommend replacing the 6 small stock bolts when you install the track deflectors. Lowes has some that take the same socket size and are just slightly shorter. Also I lost 2 of those 6 bolts previously when the alignment tech didn't tighten them enough so hard to find a safe tightness/torque for them...maybe thread locker would help?

Also make sure to follow the wiring clip instructions. You push the clips up from below otherwise the wires could be damaged on full steering lock. You can probably install them with the car on the ground at full steering lock but easier to do it from under the car.

yea i just looked under my car the other day after i plowed over a cone at the track and my deflectors are rubbing on the ground when i go up/down driveways i believe haha had em on for over a year or so no problems and dont really drive in the rain
Old 11-10-2020, 10:48 PM   #12
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yea i just looked under my car the other day after i plowed over a cone at the track and my deflectors are rubbing on the ground when i go up/down driveways i believe haha had em on for over a year or so no problems and dont really drive in the rain
I believe my first bolt head broke off a little over a year after I installed the track deflectors. It would have been a lot easier to replace them with new bolts before that happened!
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:50 PM   #13
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Im still amazed these dont come on the ZLE
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #14
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Camaro View Post
Im still amazed these dont come on the ZLE
Why's that? The SS needed them because the brakes and OE ducting are undersized compared to the braking (i.e. thermal energy dissipation) needs on track from the factory. SS 1LE, ZL1, and ZLE don't have that issue, so there's no need to develop and include this kit for the trims above the SS from the factory.