Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Catch cans and you, discussion.

So this has been going on since catch cans basically became a thing. Some have seen it very useful and needed, some has seen it as extra and didn't do anything and then some has seen side effects which caused more issues than it has "fixed".

Figured we can talk about it in a civil manner about. To start off... I found this on the corvette forum.

Maxie2U asked:
Why did the Camaro design team decide to design in an Oil Catch Can on the 2016 Camaro with the LT1 engine? Will the 2017 C7 with LT1 engines also come with an Oil Catch Can, if not why not?

Tadge answered:

To answer the second question first: No, the 2017 Corvette LT1 will not have the Camaro V8 PCV air/oil separator (what the questioner calls a "catch can") added to its oil management system. For those not familiar with the abbreviation PCV, it stands for "positive crankcase ventilation"

Even though the Corvette and Camaro share the LT1, they are very different in execution detail. The LT1 in the Corvette sits lower and very close to the ground to enable an industry-leading low profile hood and good sight lines despite a very low seated position. Having the engine close to the ground is great for keeping the vehicle's center of gravity down, but means the oil pan is relatively shallow. Having little depth in the oil pan means it is very challenging to scavenge oil in high G loading conditions. For this reason we add dry sump lubrication to our high performance models. The Camaro's higher engine position allows for a deeper oil pan and a reliable configuration for picking up oil for delivery to all parts of the engine. Thus the Camaro is able to avoid the cost and mass of the dry sump tank and resulting complexity of the lube system.

The Corvette's dry sump tank looks relatively simple on the outside but the internals are really quite complex. The top third of the tank contains a PCV air/oil separation system. On the Corvette, PCV lines route from the valve covers to the air/oil separator on top of our dry sump tank. Oil from PCV air is separated and returned to the lube system through the oil tank. The PCV separation system on Camaro V8 performs a similar function except oil is returned to the engine oil pan from the PCV separator's drain back tube. The Camaro V8 PCV air/oil separator is more complex than a "catch-can" since it not only separates oil from PCV air it provides a drain back path for this oil to be reused by the lube system. "Catch-can" systems that do not have a drain back path for separated oil run the risk of poor oil pressure performance over time as oil is removed from the lube system.

The bottom line is that both cars use optimized engineering solutions for their lube systems based on vehicle architectural considerations.

- End of Quote.

You can read this in a few ways, could say that Tadge is saying it's optimized due to his affiliation with GM, or you could say he is correct.

I personally haven't seen any oil issues with my car, TB+IM perfectly clean, no oil anywhere during and after break in, I do have a Mishi Catch Can sitting in the garage shelves as a "just in case" which can lead to warranty issues if installed. But that's something I personally would care AFTER warranty expires because if something happens to the engine or any other part... It will get fixed whether it's a brand spanking new engine or not, for free.

Anyhow, what do YOU guys think? Also, keep in mind. My stance is NEUTRAL and I am posting this to get a mature and civil discussion going on, especially for other forum members to gain some knowledge and opinion out of it.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
I'm probably going to get one, I pulled my stock IM at 2k miles and there was oil on the ports.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
I'm probably going to get one, I pulled my stock IM at 2k miles and there was oil on the ports.
I guess the factory catch-can isn't doing it's job or can it be related to something else?

So the stock "catch-can" for the SS is different from an aftermarket I'm assuming..
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
I guess the factory catch-can isn't doing it's job or can it be related to something else?

So the stock "catch-can" for the SS is different from an aftermarket I'm assuming..
Same principle, it's just not enough. I'll be adding one most likely.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
I'll take a pic of what's in mine and why it's a good idea, regardless of what the corvette forum thinks.

The need for the catch can is raised in a direct injected motor because the fuel no longer washes over the valves. Oil mist in the engine ventilation systems still do and that oil will burn on the top of the valve. Over time this can effect valve sealing and degrade performance. The catch can helps to remove the oil most prior to it getting to the cylinder head.
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Same principle, it's just not enough. I'll be adding one most likely.
Ahh gotcha, that's what I thought too..
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post

The stock system is on the CCV (crank case ventilation system). The aftermarket systems are for the PCV system. They run at different vacuum levels which is why they couldn't be combined.
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #8
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I have thought about adding one, but after hearing of the potential warranty issues, I have not made the leap. As one of the few that has had considerate issues with both my 5th gen and my 6th gen, I don't want to give the dealer or GM any reason to argue against repairs during the warranty period.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
I have thought about adding one, but after hearing of the potential warranty issues, I have not made the leap. As one of the few that has had considerate issues with both my 5th gen and my 6th gen, I don't want to give the dealer or GM any reason to argue against repairs during the warranty period.
This will have to be my position on it too.
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i didnt have one on my direct injected 2.0 lnf cobalt ss and never had any issues with it cept some oil getting into the intake/filter but always ran fine to me
kropscamaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
I preordered one when Mishimoto came out with theirs. I haven't installed it yet because I'm worried about possibly warranty issues. I'm a little over 2,000 miles. I'm torn.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
Lemosine

Drives: 2016 M6 Hyper Blue 2SS
I may get myself one, but if your worried about warranty issues just remove it if you need work done at the Chevy House. Its not as if it is Long Tube Headers, and you have to jack up the car, unbolt Long Tubes, re-install old Headers. Should be just a skip and a hop, but that is IMO.
Lemosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #13
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
You guys worried about warranty issues, which from reading seems like a legit concern with GM, just remove it before going in for work. Us smart folk know the CC isn't going to cause problems that should void a warranty.

I'll put one on mine when I find one I like. I've had one on my Challenger since new and I've kept the oil collected in a jug for reference. In 25,000 miles I've collected over a quart.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #14
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
I had pulled my intake manifold off my car before I put my catch-can on (my first car) and saw oil in the IM, the intake itself and along the ports on the front 1/2 of the motor.

I do think GM CCV system works great, but the PCV side does push a good amount of blow-by through the system. Every car is different, but the stock untouched system will pass oil and gas mixtures through the system that will get burnt off.

Warranty claims are tricky, most dealerships do not care, while GM will instantly revoke a warranty for it just being in place. I change my own oil these days and do most of the work on my car myself. So, I am not all that worried.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote