Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Thinking about stainless works catback

I have a A8 NON dual mode exhaust. I'm thinking about getting a stainless works cat back exhaust and was wondering if I get the kit without the AFM valves, I know it has a spot where the AFM hooks up but there isn't the valve on the inside, but will it throw any sort of code? Any advantages/disadvantages getting rid or keeping AFM?
I'm wanting to do the exhaust without throwing any codes.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
No code will get thrown for the valve delete, but a code will get thrown without the 2ndary cats. The SW system does remove those 2ndary cats that follow the 02 sensors. They advertise the system as a 'Off Road' system. So to avoid CEL's you may need a tune.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:29 AM   #3
jamminj007

Drives: 2016 Camaro Black 2SS, 69 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
No code will get thrown for the valve delete, but a code will get thrown without the 2ndary cats. The SW system does remove those 2ndary cats that follow the 02 sensors. They advertise the system as a 'Off Road' system. So to avoid CEL's you may need a tune.
I thought the secondary cats are not monitored. No O2 sensors on the secondary cats.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
shrubby

Drives: 16' Black³ / 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I didn't get any CEL after installing the SW cat back system. No tune either. Man does it sound terrific!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
From what I've read, those that have gotten a CEL after secondary cat deletion, they've discovered bad welds which caused a leak in the system. Those that have had proper welds when installing off road pipes in place of the 2ndary cats have had no problems with codes.

Quote:
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
1badrwd

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss npp, A8
I installed SW's full system(off road, no cat's) last week and i do not have any CE lights. I've put about 50 miles on it so far with zero issues besides all the neck injuries from people looking to see what the heck is coming down the road! I haven't had it tuned yet either but will be doing so soon.

The afm valves are simply for to get better mpg's. Personally i didn't like it going in and out of V4 mode so that was the first thing i bypassed. I didn't buy the car for the mpg's anyway. you won't get quit as good mpg's by deleting it but to me it was worth it as its a V8 and that is how i want it to act all the time.

To be American is to love the flag, women, and sports cars!
1badrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
moonrider

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
From what I've read, those that have gotten a CEL after secondary cat deletion, they've discovered bad welds which caused a leak in the system. Those that have had proper welds when installing off road pipes in place of the 2ndary cats have had no problems with codes.
Where did you read this? I have the SW exhaust and I keep throwing CEL
moonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
insidethreat07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badrwd View Post
I installed SW's full system(off road, no cat's) last week and i do not have any CE lights. I've put about 50 miles on it so far with zero issues besides all the neck injuries from people looking to see what the heck is coming down the road! I haven't had it tuned yet either but will be doing so soon.

The afm valves are simply for to get better mpg's. Personally i didn't like it going in and out of V4 mode so that was the first thing i bypassed. I didn't buy the car for the mpg's anyway. you won't get quit as good mpg's by deleting it but to me it was worth it as its a V8 and that is how i want it to act all the time.
Dumb question, so if I would get the kit that deletes the AFM valve, would it always be in v8 mode? I don't care if it is, I am just wondering get if it somehow stops it by going into 4 cylinder mode.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
insidethreat07

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrider View Post
Do you have aftermarket headers?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
1badrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethreat07 View Post
Dumb question, so if I would get the kit that deletes the AFM valve, would it always be in v8 mode? I don't care if it is, I am just wondering get if it somehow stops it by going into 4 cylinder mode.

No, it would still kick the car in v4 mode you just wouldn't have the afm valves opening and closing. Not sure if that hurts anything or not regarding exhaust back pressure over the long term. I thought I read somewhere that it's okay to have it like this. I would just buy the afm range disabler and be done with it. It's only $100 or so and then you don't have to worry about it. That's the route I went.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #11
shrubby

Drives: 16' Black³ / 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badrwd View Post
No, it would still kick the car in v4 mode you just wouldn't have the afm valves opening and closing. Not sure if that hurts anything or not regarding exhaust back pressure over the long term. I thought I read somewhere that it's okay to have it like this. I would just buy the afm range disabler and be done with it. It's only $100 or so and then you don't have to worry about it. That's the route I went.
Does it work well? With the SW cat backs it sounds terrible when it switches to v4 and even in track mode it is constantly doing this in city traffic. I'd love to disable it. It takes up the obd port, right?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:04 AM   #12
1badrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubby View Post
Does it work well? With the SW cat backs it sounds terrible when it switches to v4 and even in track mode it is constantly doing this in city traffic. I'd love to disable it. It takes up the obd port, right?

Works great! Yes, you simply plug it into the obd port when the car is off and that's it. Your left with the V8 car you were wanting in the first place!

Old 07-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

plenty of threads here in the forum about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrider View Post
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

This is a good question/point. If you have the SW headers you WILL throw a code. You will need a tune to get rid of it and you should get a tune to take full advantage of what you're adding to the system. If you did the cat back exhaust or axle back exhaust you shouldn't be throwing a code and you don't need a tune. If you are throwing a code, that indicates a bad weld and you have a leak in your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethreat07 View Post
Do you have aftermarket headers?