Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #29
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I must not be using my brakes hard enough... new PBs coming all around next year! haha

I hate when the pedal starts getting soft and gaining travel. Does not inspire confidence in me as I like a rock hard pedal.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #30
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Haha, could be! It's definitely softer than I prefer and according to PDR I'm getting pretty close to the floor with the pedal. And I don't know if it's just in my head or not but I feel like when I snap off the accelerator and get on to the brakes really quickly it stiffens up sooner and is a little more confidence inspiring, maybe that could be worth a shot? Don't know if there's some sort of prefill happening or if the rapid jump on the pedal somehow helps build corner pressure a little faster or what, but I'll have to try to remember to get some data and see if it's real or not.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #31
TheRealJA105

The quick jump from accelerator to brake is what normally gets ice mode hard pedal and no stoppy stop/feels like ABS...
Old 11-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #32
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I'm 95% certain it's not ice mode. I'm still pulling well over 1g of decel (like 1.2-1.4g range), and in this case the pedal is more firm but not "hard pedal" firm around 3/5 through full pedal travel rather than the the usual 4/5 or 9/10 of travel I feel like I get without the quick ramp-in on the brakes. Like I said I'll try to get data so I can see if it's a real thing or if it's just in my head lol.

In the meantime, another suggestion for stock pads I've heard but haven't seen posted on the forums is to scrape off the glue that holds the shim on the pads. Sounds like the glue gets super squishy and compliant when it gets hot and you can get a noticeably firmer pedal feel if you scrape it off. That's also on my list of things to try on track next year.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #33
TheRealJA105

Yeah that's definitely not ice mode, Ice mode is scary.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #34
Hyperblue ss

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1ss
I have the SS with the 4 pots. I live in South Florida, the roads here are flat. I have the track deflectors equipped and keep them on all year round, the car is my daily and I've yet to scrape them.
Hyperblue ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #35
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Yeah that's definitely not ice mode, Ice mode is scary.
Has there been a lot of issues with the Ice brakes on the 6th gen? I remember it being a problem on the 5th gens. and the few videos I saw it happening to 6th gens there was wheel spin before going to brakes. which would make the car think it's on ice. Luckily... Knock on wood I haven't experienced this yet on my 2018
Old 11-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #36
TheRealJA105

I've experienced it frequently during the few autocross events I've done with the car. Yes wheelspin to brakes.

I did experience it on track a few times when trying the Kumho ACR front tires (square) and hitting braking bumps on the track. It is not common on the track.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:06 AM   #37
Gripp131

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Guys would adding ducts, changing pads, lines and fluids help? I'm changing my setup post 1st trackday. I want to drive on stock setup for baseline... then I will change set up.
Did anyone post part number on ducts I'm ordering an extra set for back up.

Future setup:
Castro SRF
Steel Braided lines
Carbotech XPs or something for strong for initial bite

Can anyone share the video link to ICE brake issues mentioned above?... I'm new to this car and have only 200 miles of seat time in it.
Gripp131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #38
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripp131 View Post
Guys would adding ducts, changing pads, lines and fluids help? I'm changing my setup post 1st trackday. I want to drive on stock setup for baseline... then I will change set up.
Did anyone post part number on ducts I'm ordering an extra set for back up.

Future setup:
Castro SRF
Steel Braided lines
Carbotech XPs or something for strong for initial bite

Can anyone share the video link to ICE brake issues mentioned above?... I'm new to this car and have only 200 miles of seat time in it.
Help with what?

I dont recall a single person reporting ice mode on ZLE regardless of pad/tire choices. I had 3 full seasons on my 17 SS 1LE and 1 (shorter) season on my 20 SS 1LE (full stock except for fluids), at 7 different venues with zero issues.
As stated above, ice mode is not an issue on gen6, except for some autox situations. I recall a vid posted a while back but frankly, to me it looked like a driver asking the car to perform unnatural acts...

Bottom line, dont worry about it, but for damn sure switch from stock fluid to DOT4 per the manual. Castrol SRF is the best, but there are others pretty equal to it as well (like Willwood EXP, etc).

PS As far as i know, based on GM commentary on ice mode, it has little to do with pads, or lines, but tires could affect the ABS calibration. But, tons of ppl have been tracking gen6 on slicks, with zero issues. But, keep in mind, models vary and dont have the same parts. So when you read feedback, ensure it pertains to your model. Lest you may start chasing your tail for no good reason. Happy new year!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote