Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 03-19-2024, 09:50 AM   #267
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Found this from back in November. Wondering what you guys think....Particulary the part about the fuse box.

This question runs through my mind every time I read about another SS being taken. I know about the "RF cloning" technology, although I don't understand how the car's RF is cloned. The key fob would be one target by an unsuspecting owner not having 'situation awareness'. Is there a way to clone the car's RF from the car itself?? Today I looked at the IAAI.com website. There are 25 crashed and/or stolen SS's from '14 to '17. Of the 25, 14 were stolen !! I noticed a strange similarity on 8 of the stolen ones. In the pictures of the engine compartments, the main fuse box covers were gone. On I think two of them, the fuse/relay portion, the top section of the assembly was gone. Have the thieves figured a way to mickey with the relays to get the car running?? I think so!! An owner in San Angelo, TX. car was stolen from his home. It was recovered in the DFW area unscathed and no apparent damage. However, it would not start!! He had it towed to a local dealer and it was reported that something had happened with the relays and fuses under the hood. Also, most of the stolen SS's that still had doors or glass had one window broken out. What are they doing once they get inside?? Is that when they use the 'cloned RF device' to start the car??
Old 03-19-2024, 09:51 AM   #268
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
I would like to thank everyone for this discussion and the various methods to prevent theft.

In the interim I have taken the passive approach with a OBD-II lock and a generic steering wheel lock. The steering wheel lock will provide the early warning presence that this owner is doing some thing to deter theft and maybe other prevention's will be encountered. I won't use the steering lock all the time, only when maybe deemed necessary. Maybe a little sign on the window stating; "OBD-II deactivated." LOL

I want to thank DamonZ28 for referencing Genosgarage.com the OBD-II lock for $51. I got a spare key for $10. It appears to be exactly like the BEM unit that VR Baron mentioned. Certainly cheaper to buy the Genos version. It is metal and very secure fit. Probably can be defeated, but is a good deterrent.

This will suffice for now, until I decide on what direction to go with for a more active solution. Quite a few good options mentioned in this thread. Thanks again.

Yep looks just like my BEM part. If needed yeah, a wheel lock is the only thing I can think of for a visual deterrent to keep Aholes from breaking/cutting the window. I guess 50/50 chance as to whether they came with a saw, or as in the few videos out there they only have the scanner tools.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:56 AM   #269
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
You are missing the point. IGLA, one of the better systems (I know) does nothing to prevent anyone from smashing the window and attempting the break-in to the vehicle. Why, because this is a know vulnerability in the car thievery tiktok world to attempt to steal your Camaro. You STILL GET damage and glass left, picking up pieces for the life of ownership. Once word gets on the street this has been fixed, and that they could no longer be successful that way, thefts won't be attempted as much.

JLR said it's has software updates to prevent these attack methods. Vehicles dating back to 2016 will be eligible for Free updates. The software update prevents keys being programmed by the BCM hack method and also stops external devices from being able to send commands to the car’s computer system.

So even with IGLA, also Car Lock and a GPS tracker. Call GM customer service and demand the Update. Thanks.
So reading this you are saying the GM update prevents people from breaking the window? Unless it is an update for an ultra sensitive motion detector that won’t happen. The rest sounds like good news
Old 03-19-2024, 10:04 AM   #270
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
Found this from back in November. Wondering what you guys think....Particulary the part about the fuse box.

This question runs through my mind every time I read about another SS being taken. I know about the "RF cloning" technology, although I don't understand how the car's RF is cloned. The key fob would be one target by an unsuspecting owner not having 'situation awareness'. Is there a way to clone the car's RF from the car itself?? Today I looked at the IAAI.com website. There are 25 crashed and/or stolen SS's from '14 to '17. Of the 25, 14 were stolen !! I noticed a strange similarity on 8 of the stolen ones. In the pictures of the engine compartments, the main fuse box covers were gone. On I think two of them, the fuse/relay portion, the top section of the assembly was gone. Have the thieves figured a way to mickey with the relays to get the car running?? I think so!! An owner in San Angelo, TX. car was stolen from his home. It was recovered in the DFW area unscathed and no apparent damage. However, it would not start!! He had it towed to a local dealer and it was reported that something had happened with the relays and fuses under the hood. Also, most of the stolen SS's that still had doors or glass had one window broken out. What are they doing once they get inside?? Is that when they use the 'cloned RF device' to start the car??
All I have seen is the video showing once in the car, they plug in the scanner and they have a fob they bring, it sits in a slot in the scanner and can program the fob that way. Way to easy to do which gm didn’t think through I guess.
You keep your fob in a faraday bag or box defeats the relay attack, but if they just break a window, or cut it out to prevent noise, then bags won’t help
Old 03-19-2024, 12:54 PM   #271
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
So reading this you are saying the GM update prevents people from breaking the window? Unless it is an update for an ultra sensitive motion detector that won’t happen. The rest sounds like good news
GM update prevents people from breaking the window. No.

What I'm saying is, that if we can get GM to do an update, word would get around too the car thieving tiktok community, that method of breaking the window to gain access to the OBD could and would go down due to fact that method is not working for them to try and steal your Camaro anymore. As it is Now, ebay & etc. are selling this device and it's a flaw. Keys are made in minutes.

Call GM and request they fix it ASAP. You won't be able to leave your Camaro unattended.
Sixth-Gen Camaro Theft Is Soaring–the Reason Is Simple
https://ls1tech.com/articles/sixth-g...son-is-simple/
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:59 PM   #272
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
GM update prevents people from breaking the window. No.

What I'm saying is, that if we can get GM to do an update, word would get around too the car thieving tiktok community, that method of breaking the window to gain access to the OBD could and would go down due to fact that method is not working for them to try and steal your Camaro anymore. As it is Now, ebay & etc. are selling this device and it's a flaw. Keys are made in minutes.

Call GM and request they fix it ASAP. You won't be able to leave your Camaro unattended.
Sixth-Gen Camaro Theft Is Soaring–the Reason Is Simple
https://ls1tech.com/articles/sixth-g...son-is-simple/
Oh so no fix actually. Gotcha . Be nice if they would but everyone will have to call. If they even care at this point. I have a port lock and other things. My biggest anti theft device is car is in garage and not a daily. Pretty sad .
Old 03-19-2024, 11:21 PM   #273
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Yep looks just like my BEM part. If needed yeah, a wheel lock is the only thing I can think of for a visual deterrent to keep Aholes from breaking/cutting the window. I guess 50/50 chance as to whether they came with a saw, or as in the few videos out there they only have the scanner tools.
I think you put this port lock on a dummy port, so they are even more frustrated when they see the lock, remove it eventually, only to have the port not work!

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:29 PM   #274
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
I think you put this port lock on a dummy port, so they are even more frustrated when they see the lock, remove it eventually, only to have the port not work!
That could work to. I did see a video of a guy that has this lock and a brake lock. Thieves tried to steel the car. They bent the brake lock but could not remove it. They also could not remove the port lock. Car went no where fortunately.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:51 AM   #275
JAITG

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT
I realize I made this mistake days after I got IGLA installed for a pretty large $1300 with tax.

You can do it yourself with a very comparable system the AMPIRE WFS400 or PRO if you want Bluetooth bypass remotes and the app capability. The pro with 2x remotes like the IGLA is shipped to the US for about $450.

https://www.ampire.de/WFS400-PRO.htm...00-PRO&p=59260

I like they arent not all cloak and dagger, you know where it is installed, just as small as IGLA, I get into specifics on how to install it or where you can find resources but those who are reading this and are confident in it can certainly install this with usually 4-6 wire taps/splices.

My IGLA install is not performing well at all for pin code entry on my 18 and not knowing where it is incase it has some oddball failure is killing me. I may ask the shop for a refund and give them $200 or so for their time because it just doesn't accept my PIN 11/10 times and I have to use the remote. Then I would try the Ampire. My buddy and I are doing an Ampire install on his car so I will report how that goes.
JAITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:01 AM   #276
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAITG View Post
I realize I made this mistake days after I got IGLA installed for a pretty large $1300 with tax.

You can do it yourself with a very comparable system the AMPIRE WFS400 or PRO if you want Bluetooth bypass remotes and the app capability. The pro with 2x remotes like the IGLA is shipped to the US for about $450.

https://www.ampire.de/WFS400-PRO.htm...00-PRO&p=59260

I like they arent not all cloak and dagger, you know where it is installed, just as small as IGLA, I get into specifics on how to install it or where you can find resources but those who are reading this and are confident in it can certainly install this with usually 4-6 wire taps/splices.

My IGLA install is not performing well at all for pin code entry on my 18 and not knowing where it is incase it has some oddball failure is killing me. I may ask the shop for a refund and give them $200 or so for their time because it just doesn't accept my PIN 11/10 times and I have to use the remote. Then I would try the Ampire. My buddy and I are doing an Ampire install on his car so I will report how that goes.
Very curious to hear about this, and I agree, looks like exactly the same unit / functionality.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:54 PM   #277
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Has anyone tried this system yet?

https://youtu.be/7U4ZYOBzEEs?si=Ro3gXiIjKAv0qJza
Old 04-11-2024, 09:57 PM   #278
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Mine was stolen in October of last year, they found and arrested the guy who was driving it. He was out on bond for another felony/theft crime.

I just saw today that he had guilty plea to my car theft along with other felony crimes, one case involving a gun too. His accepted plea bargain is two years of probation.
The city of Dallas is a complete failure and does not prosecute criminals. Instead they treat them as the victim and allow them to walk the streets freely to continue to commit more crimes.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:21 PM   #279
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
That’s ridiculous. Pisses me off really
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:36 PM   #280
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
This won’t help making it harder to steal but could scare the thieves off more - some of you may remember the old Chapman alarms that were available in the 1970s and 80s. They had an electro-mechanical lock switch mounted under the dash you pressed in and it engaged a steel hood lock, opened the fuel pump circuit, and had a high current air siren like this that activated via current draw from the interior lighting circuit

Name:  IMG_2354.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  94.3 KB

Both My parents mid-80s Regals had this. It was ear piercing when it went off. You could hear it for blocks.

I picked this one up a few years ago for dirt cheap on eBay just for nostalgia really but now I’m wondering if the siren could be integrated to the factory alarm in addition to the factory horn honk.

It runs on standard 12v dc. When connected straight to a battery you better close your ears.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote