Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 01-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #15
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
1. I'm in Charlotte.
2. No numbers. Drivers get a wrist band for their driver group: Novice, Intermediate, or Advanced.
3. Simpson has a retail store in Moorseville, NC https://goo.gl/maps/2Q3MZjbXGKE2. I went there, so I could try all of the helmets on. You can also go "bargain" https://www.soloperformance.com/tnia
4. I drive to all of the events. If you have a trailer, then that is cheap insurance in case you have a mechanical issue. I over prepared and brought all kinds of gear with me my first few events. I now just take a small cooler for drinks and a toolbox with 2 qts oil, mechanics gloves, funnel, paper towels, glass cleaner, torque wrench, 22mm deep socket, GOOD tire pressure gauge, zip ties, needle nose pliers, cheap infra red thermometer, and a small 12V compressor to put air back in the tires.

Other things I thought about:
1. I recommend taking all 4 wheels off the car and inspecting brake pads, brake lines, rotors, front sway bar end links, shocks, etc. I've never had a problem with my sway bar end links, but it has been reported frequently on this forum.
2. Check brake fluid level
3. Check oil level and add some if it is not at the top of the range after sitting over night. If it is in the middle, add 1/4 qt. Don't over fill.
4. Check the oil level between sessions after sitting for 5-10 minutes. Target the middle of the dipstick. I sometimes add 1/4 - 1/2 qt after 2 sessions.
5. Take everything loose out of your car interior, including the floor mats.
6. For the first few sessions I would use Track - PTM Sport 1. This keeps stability control on. This is a bad crutch long term, but good for beginners.
7. More experienced drivers in "slower" cars will have faster lap times even if you dust them on the straights. If you see a Miata in your mirrors twice, then give him a point-by and don't try and chase them.
8. Remove the underhood water deflector.
9. I will PM you when I register. I personally enjoy the events at Carolina Motorsports Park better. You don't get that Ricky Bobby "mama I'm going fast 150+ mph", but it is a more technical road course with fewer cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugdr View Post
Badmojo, really appreciate the reply. I'm definitely going to have to make it to a couple of these this year. Just curious, where are you located in NC? I'm just south of Raleigh.

Another question, do they make you put any kind of numbers on your doors and your class. I have done a little research and just wasn't real sure. I'm guessing, unless you are competing, you don't need the numbers and classification.

Another question, where is a good place to get a helmet in NC. I haven't had one since my atv and go cart days, so I would likely have to get fitted. Just didn't know where a good spot may be.

Also, do you trailer your car there or drive it? I could do either, but I'm about 2.5 hours from the speedway. Might be easier to trailer for me.

Thanks again for the help. It'd be nice if a few of us could get together at one or two of these events.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg L1 View Post
Is there any track days in NY say maybe Watkins Glen?

The best way to find track days in your area:

1. https://www.motorsportreg.com/
2. Facebook: Jzilla Track Days
3. https://hpdejunkie.com/
4. Check the local track website or Facebook page.

I find that Facebook is unfortunately the best way to find events. Most events aren't fully scheduled yet, it is still early in the season.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #17
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Looking forward to the one at VIR. First time for TNIA at that venue.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #18
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Looking forward to the one at VIR. First time for TNIA at that venue.
I may try and make that as well. May-June-July look like busy race months for me!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #19
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Sign up opens on 3/25. Will see you there, Badmojo. Will be in the 19 Shadow Gray.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:06 PM   #20
EMAX08

Drives: 2018 ZL1——2010 2 RS/SS
And here I come Highplains raceway!
Thanks for the great info!

E
EMAX08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 PM   #21
Cooter42

Drives: ZL1 1LE
For those of you who haven’t made a track day yet, this is the way to do it. SCCA track night is well managed, easy and safe. Go have some fun!
Cooter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #22
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
For those with an A10, how do you handle the recommended track level tranny fluid ? From what I’ve seen it’s a total PITA if not impossible to do as a shade tree mechanic.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #23
benjaminforeal

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 (manual)
Definitely considering Road Atlanta!
benjaminforeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:47 AM   #24
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Badmojo, nice post. I can add to the suggestion of being able to try on helmets. There is another place for that in Moorseville NC named HMS Motorsports. I have been to their North location in Massachusetts, and being able to try on gear is a BIG plus.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:54 AM   #25
guapo
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro LT2/RS
Are all camaros welcome, i.e. v6 I know I cant keep up with v8 but would not mind doing one in my 50th v6.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #26
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Badmojo, nice post. I can add to the suggestion of being able to try on helmets. There is another place for that in Moorseville NC named HMS Motorsports. I have been to their North location in Massachusetts, and being able to try on gear is a BIG plus.
Thanks and thanks for the reference to HMS. It is amazing how many racing retail and services are in Mooresville.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
Are all camaros welcome, i.e. v6 I know I cant keep up with v8 but would not mind doing one in my 50th v6.
Any vehicle is welcome as long as it isn't taller than it is wide or a convertible without some type of factory or aftermarket roll bar.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #28
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANACO View Post
For those with an A10, how do you handle the recommended track level tranny fluid ? From what I’ve seen it’s a total PITA if not impossible to do as a shade tree mechanic.
I have the A10 and haven't done anything. The track level tranny note is an error in the Performance Supplement.

Tags
america, hpde, road racing, scca, track night