Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #29
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
If you're a good driver with good air.. Below 1.9 60fts..

SS M6 - 12.3 - 12.5
GT PP - 12.8-13.0
V6 1LE - 13.3 -13.6??

Just my opinion..

I tried launching from 3k - 4k a few times.. The 3rd practice run was the best and I know with more practice, I can get it right one day.. May go through a few clutches tho lol

Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #30
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
If you're a good driver with good air.. Below 1.9 60fts..

SS M6 - 12.3 - 12.5
GT PP - 12.8-13.0
V6 1LE - 13.3 -13.6??

Just my opinion..

I tried launching from 3k - 4k a few times.. The 3rd practice run was the best and I know with more practice, I can get it right one day.. May go through a few clutches tho lol

Those time really don't make any sense. You are saying that a GT that has a good 2-3mph trap speed disadvantage is .5 seconds off off the SS, but a V6 that has a 10mph trap speed disadvantage is .5 seconds off of a GT?

I'm sorry, this doesn't add up. With a 103mph trap speed, it's going to take an excellent driver with excellent air to touch a 13.3 in a 1le v6. You are looking at a 12.5 in the GT easy with comparable driver and air. A 10mph trap speed differential is huge.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #31
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
With a good driver and air 100% stock SS cars can go 11.90's.

If you only want to talk 1/4 times, the V6 1LE you're saying isn't comparable to the GT. How then is it comparable to the SS when it's .6 slower than an SS glory pass to glory pass? You can't have it both ways.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #32
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 View Post
With a good driver and air 100% stock SS cars can go 11.90's.

If you only want to talk 1/4 times, the V6 1LE you're saying isn't comparable to the GT. How then is it comparable to the SS when it's .6 slower than an SS glory pass to glory pass? You can't have it both ways.
You really aren't taking glory passes now and using them as the average deviation are you?
Old 10-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #33
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

That's exactly what you did calling GT a 12.5.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #34
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
That's exactly what you did calling GT a 12.5.
I believe you read it and took the post wrong. What he said was

". . . it's going to take an excellent driver with excellent air to touch a 13.3 in a 1le v6. You are looking at a 12.5 in the GT easy with comparable driver and air."

He didn't say these were the "everyman's" times. These are with an excellent drive and air.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #35
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Still waiting for an answer on why the GT is more comparable to the SS over the V61LE other than a myopic view of quarter times that's being battered around by a couple tenths. In general the splits are so close it's within the noise model to model. Got an answer other than silence or deflection?
Old 10-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #36
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
Those time really don't make any sense. You are saying that a GT that has a good 2-3mph trap speed disadvantage is .5 seconds off off the SS, but a V6 that has a 10mph trap speed disadvantage is .5 seconds off of a GT?

I'm sorry, this doesn't add up. With a 103mph trap speed, it's going to take an excellent driver with excellent air to touch a 13.3 in a 1le v6. You are looking at a 12.5 in the GT easy with comparable driver and air. A 10mph trap speed differential is huge.
Well that's your opinion and I respect that. IMO, a good 1/4 run depends on a few things and not just trap speed:

1. Power to weight ratio
2. Gearing
3. Suspension

Factoring in DA, driver mod, etc will ALL play a role. The video above showed the suspension issue they had. It's not that the Mustang was slow, putting the power down wasn't as easy. When I had my 14 5.0, it still wheel hopped a lot but not as much as the 15+ IRS.

Look at the trap speed of the GT350's... they will trap 116mph+ compared to an SS at 114mph+ but run similiar 1/4 times to an SS. Why? Possibly due to suspension differences, torque differences, weight differences, etc.

My point is.. trap speed although an indication of power, it's not the only standalone metric in the 1/4.

Even in the video, they couldn't get the M6 GT to run under 13.0. But, I personally believe it can run a 12.8+ with a good driver who knows the car.

12.5 is possible with an auto GT such as 12.0 is possible with an auto SS (plenty of videos of this too).

Also, see post #204 from this thread.. Almost identical times but 2 mph difference in trap speed

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...450694&page=15

Last edited by Richard0nee; 10-09-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #37
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Still waiting for an answer on why the GT is more comparable to the SS over the V61LE other than a myopic view of quarter times that's being battered around by a couple tenths. In general the splits are so close it's within the noise model to model. Got an answer other than silence or deflection?
You can re-read all my posts. I'm fairly certain I laid it all out.

Really what it comes down to is

1) V8 pony car vs V6 pony car
2) everything else

It really is that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Well that's your opinion and I respect that. IMO, a good 1/4 run depends on a few things and not just trap speed:

1. Power to weight ratio
2. Gearing
3. Suspension

Factoring in DA, driver mod, etc will ALL play a role. The video above showed the suspension issue they had. It's not that the Mustang was slow, putting the power down wasn't as easy. When I had my 14 5.0, it still wheel hopped a lot but not as much as the 15+ IRS.

Look at the trap speed of the GT350's... they will trap 116mph+ compared to an SS at 114mph+ but run similiar 1/4 times to an SS. Why? Possibly due to suspension differences, torque differences, weight differences, etc.

My point is.. trap speed although an indication of power, it's not the only standalone metric in the 1/4.

Even in the video, they couldn't get the M6 GT to run under 13.0. But, I personally believe it can run a 12.8+ with a good driver who knows the car.

12.5 is possible with an auto GT such as 12.0 is possible with an auto SS (plenty of videos of this too).

Also, see post #204 from this thread.. Almost identical times but 2 mph difference in trap speed

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...450694&page=15
Trap speed will give you the best idea of the cars capabilities, plain and simple.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #38
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Trap speed will give you the best idea of the cars capabilities, plain and simple.
Not its capabilities, its horsepower. ET and trap speed give you the best idea of its capabilities. One is useless without the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #39
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
You are looking at a 12.5 in the GT easy
Why are you comparing the absolute best AUTO Mustang GT time to a STICK SHIFT V6 Camaro? The 1LE is a track/autox oriented package which appeals to people who will run on road courses or autocrosses. Such buyers typically want a stick shift, so if they shopped a Mustang GT against a 1LE V6, they're looking at an M6. Stick shift Mustang GTs run low 13s around 110 in the 1/4 ('hero' 12.79 per internet), so yes have an advantage in that venue over a V6 Camaro. I will point out the obvious here, if the 1/4 mile matters to the track-day buyer that much, a stripped 1SS Camaro will beat a Mustang GT as badly in the 1/4 as the Mustang GT beats the V6 Camaro, PLUS it will beat the GT on a road course. Of course I am talking with the SAME driver here, since it will be the prospective track-day buyer driving whichever car they choose to buy.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #40
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Not its capabilities, its horsepower. ET and trap speed give you the best idea of its capabilities. One is useless without the other.

Trap speed gives you the best idea of ET AND horsepower. There are far more variables in ET alone. Good or bad 60', shifting too slow, shifting too soon, wrong gearing etc. Trap speed gives you the best indicator of what the vehicle is truly capable of. It's not perfect, but it is the one variable that gives you an idea of what vehicles can do from a roll, or what they can do with excellent traction (slicks or drag radials).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Why are you comparing the absolute best AUTO Mustang GT time to a STICK SHIFT V6 Camaro? The 1LE is a track/autox oriented package which appeals to people who will run on road courses or autocrosses. Such buyers typically want a stick shift, so if they shopped a Mustang GT against a 1LE V6, they're looking at an M6. Stick shift Mustang GTs run low 13s around 110 in the 1/4 ('hero' 12.79 per internet), so yes have an advantage in that venue over a V6 Camaro. I will point out the obvious here, if the 1/4 mile matters to the track-day buyer that much, a stripped 1SS Camaro will beat a Mustang GT as badly in the 1/4 as the Mustang GT beats the V6 Camaro, PLUS it will beat the GT on a road course. Of course I am talking with the SAME driver here, since it will be the prospective track-day buyer driving whichever car they choose to buy.
Re-read the context of my posts. crysalis_01 understood it.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #41
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Trap speed gives you the best idea of ET AND horsepower. There are far more variables in ET alone. Good or bad 60', shifting too slow, shifting too soon, wrong gearing etc. Trap speed gives you the best indicator of what the vehicle is truly capable of. It's not perfect, but it is the one variable that gives you an idea of what vehicles can do from a roll, or what they can do with excellent traction (slicks or drag radials).

Re-read the context of my posts. crysalis_01 understood it.
Everything you just listed is exactly why trap doesn't mean anything by itself. You can have 1000hp and no traction and still turn a high mph. But your ET will show the difference. Look at the times of the Shelby GT KR that came out last year. 800hp and couldn't get into the 11s.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #42
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Everything you just listed is exactly why trap doesn't mean anything by itself. You can have 1000hp and no traction and still turn a high mph. But your ET will show the difference. Look at the times of the Shelby GT KR that came out last year. 800hp and couldn't get into the 11s.

It is the single best variable when trying to figure out what a vehicle is capable of.

Would you rather have a car that runs 14.0 @ 99mph at the hands of an average driver or one that runs 14.2@ 109mph at the hands of the same average driver?