Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
SlavinAveSS
Autobody Tech

Drives: 05 Chevy Z71 16 Camaro 2SS m6
Thoughts on Shorty Headers

I'm just wanting some thoughts on what everyone thinks about shorty headers?
SlavinAveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Nothing wrong with them, but you still stuck with the worst part of the stock exhaust and that would be the primary cats. LT gets rid of that issue, hence they are popular. But you say I'll do shorties and then CA front cat deletes... you rapidly get to the price of LTs.
Plus because the factory already comes with an excellent set of shorties, it is HARD to make more HP here. So nothing is "wrong" with them. They just fix a non-issue. I like the Hooker shorties but would never buy a set.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Waste of time. You have Tri-y manifolds OEM.

There are photos online.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Here is a pic. Your not going to gain much with shorties. Its LT or OEM being your best choices for the money and time spent.
Attached Images

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
SlavinAveSS
Autobody Tech

Drives: 05 Chevy Z71 16 Camaro 2SS m6
Sounds like a big no
SlavinAveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
oldman

front cats deletes work, move the 02 behind the second cats....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #7
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavinAveSS View Post
I'm just wanting some thoughts on what everyone thinks about shorty headers?

The SS already comes with Shorty Headers. Underneath those heat shields lie Shorty Headers.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #8
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Stock Headers....

https://www.ebay.com/i/124058799707?...yABEgLhYfD_BwE

Click on the manifolds.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:07 AM   #9
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I got a set of JBA shorties when they were on sale. I still haven't put them on though, waiting for warmer weather. I don't think they'll make a noticeable amount of power. Like others pointed out, cats are the biggest restriction in the stock exhaust system. I don't want to remove them; cars start smelling and noticeably spewing shit into the air - laugh all you want, but I care and don't plan on racing for pinks... so I don't need the 20HP and don't want to spend big $ on good high-flow cats.

I'm just looking for a different, hopefully better , sound. The design of JBAs is 4-into-1 right at the last moment before the downpipes, and that's where the cats are. They're also more equal length, so it should make a slight difference (yes I know LS/LT firing order makes fully equal length headers unnecessary unless you go 8-into-1 or 180*). I'll post my thoughts once they're installed.

Stock

JBA
Old 02-19-2020, 02:05 AM   #10
oldman

The car has 4 cats anyway the front ones only light off slightly faster. One Moped in China pollutes more than your entire block because of the two-stroke design. Nutshell... relax.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:36 AM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
I got a set of JBA shorties when they were on sale. I still haven't put them on though, waiting for warmer weather. I don't think they'll make a noticeable amount of power. Like others pointed out, cats are the biggest restriction in the stock exhaust system. I don't want to remove them; cars start smelling and noticeably spewing shit into the air - laugh all you want, but I care and don't plan on racing for pinks... so I don't need the 20HP and don't want to spend big $ on good high-flow cats.

I'm just looking for a different, hopefully better , sound. The design of JBAs is 4-into-1 right at the last moment before the downpipes, and that's where the cats are. They're also more equal length, so it should make a slight difference (yes I know LS/LT firing order makes fully equal length headers unnecessary unless you go 8-into-1 or 180*). I'll post my thoughts once they're installed.

JBA
The one thought I have is that for the very little if any difference you're going to get in either HP or sound, keep in mind that those JBA's do not have heat shields. So now, you're going to have insulate the plug wires and run that risk. Even more important is that they will now be radiating all the heat into the engine bay. Again, IMHO, for the little to no gain, that's a lot of pain.

If it's just sound you want, there are much better ways to go about that. muffler delete, secondary cat delete, etc.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post

Stock

JBA
As Oldman pointed out, you can get the primary cat delete pipes and keep the secondary. The secondary flow better and kill some of the smell. Deleting the Primary will increase the exhaust note and free up some power.

I doubt you will notice much difference in sound with those shorties until you address the primary cat pipes
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #13
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I would ditch the stock cats before you worry about the manifolds. The stock manifolds have come a long way and you won't see any power gains with shorty headers. Just bite the bullet and go with some long tubes. That's were the power is, that's where the rumble is. We have plenty of affordable options, especially if you use code CAMARO6 at time of check out. Some worry about warranties but we have plenty of dealers that have zero issues with long tubes.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
oldman

Yep Juiced has hooked me up before, and to the guy that wants to save the planet, there are green cat options too.
You will see that even 825 HP ZL1 keeps the stock exhaust header.

Last edited by oldman; 02-19-2020 at 03:29 PM.