Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
2017 M6 Noise When Cold

I’ve got a 17 1LT with the M6 and about 15,000 miles. Now that the weather is getting cold the shifter / Shift linkage makes horrible noises until it’s thouroghly warmed up. Hard to describe but it makes this ugly creaking hard rubber on hard rubber groaning ckunkung noise with every movement of the shifter. The noise seems to come from the area right under the shift leaver boot and is only present when the temperature outside drop into the 30s or lower. Once warmed up the noise goes away. Anyone else getting this or is there an issue beyond poor design and materials? I bought the car late last winter but didn’t have this noise last year.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Is it repeatable enough to go the dealership/warranty route? Assuming you still have a warranty.

Look over in the transmission sub-forum to see if others are having the same problem.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I have had manuals for a long time and until they warm up they are clunky and stiff till warmed up. Maybe go to a dealer on a cold day and drive another one to compare to then you can decide if yours is different.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
The temps rarely drop that low here, but even on mornings before warming up, things are stiffer and clunkier as mentioned already. That's normal. The fact that it goes away when warm means it's most likely caused by the oil not up to temp yet. Still, might be good idea to have the dealer check it out to make sure the oil level is good.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Was up north (MA) a few weeks ago with mine and hit some pretty good cold. She liked it not. Trans was clunky, rear groaned worse than me getting out of bed in the morning. All good after she warmed up.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Blazin383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Is it repeatable enough to go the dealership/warranty route? Assuming you still have a warranty.

Look over in the transmission sub-forum to see if others are having the same problem.
Yeah, is very repeatable! If the temp is cold it’s there until everything warms up! I’d be fine if it were just the typical cold stiff shift until it warms up, but this is something much more than just stiff sluggish cold shifting. It’s an abnormal noise! Looks like it’ll have to spend the night at the dealership one night soon!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Blazin383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
Yeah, is very repeatable! If the temp is cold it’s there until everything warms up! I’d be fine if it were just the typical cold stiff shift until it warms up, but this is something much more than just stiff sluggish cold shifting. It’s an abnormal noise! Looks like it’ll have to spend the night at the dealership one night soon!
The rear diff groans in the cold too, but that’s another issue and more understandable.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
My M6 if I leave the car outside overnight shifts like a real POS, hard to get in gear, has popped out of 2d a few times. ANd I drive it hard enough to never get the 1-4 shift lockout to activate. Im real used to this sort of thing with a cold manual though. Will make a fluid change sometime in the early spring.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Cchief

Drives: 2017 Fifty 2SS Convertible
I had a Vette with the same Tremec tranny that I filed a Lemon Law Claim, GM wrote me a check for $5000 to shut me up. I found service bulletins and memos that spoke to the issue and they didn't have a fix for it. Same thing with my Camaro but the Vette was worse. There is talk on these forums about swapping out the fluid...I would go that route because the dealer will tell you that it is normal. Good Luck.
Cchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
Bob Ranny

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
2017 LT Shift Linkage Noise When Cold

I have exactly the noise you describe! I bought my New 2017 in June of this year, V6 M6. This is my first time in cold weather with this Camaro, although it will not see snow! In October and this month, on the cold mornings here in central NY, I noticed the same creaking noise, when shifting, just under the shifter. It sounds like dry linkage and hard cold rubber creaking. I goes away fairly quickly as the car warms up but shows up again the next cold morning! When I go in for my oil change I’m gonna ask my dealer to see if they can lube/spray that area! Sounds like dry rubber grommets or boots rubbing. My Camaro has only 1500 miles at this time! Hope this helps!

Last edited by Bob Ranny; 11-18-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added text
Bob Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchief View Post
I had a Vette with the same Tremec tranny that I filed a Lemon Law Claim, GM wrote me a check for $5000 to shut me up. I found service bulletins and memos that spoke to the issue and they didn't have a fix for it. Same thing with my Camaro but the Vette was worse. There is talk on these forums about swapping out the fluid...I would go that route because the dealer will tell you that it is normal. Good Luck.
And that is exactly what the dealer told me, 'normal'. I've never had a transmission this notchy and difficult to get into 1st and 2nd gear when cold. Trans fluid swap coming in the spring.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 AM   #12
the_swiSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Mine does it too. When cold, 1st to 2nd is notchy and the both the clutch and linkage make noises. Once warmed up, it's better. Problem is, while commuting, the car never gets a chance to properly warm up.

Black Bowties - GM Fuel Door - Black Camaro Fender Logo - K&N Air Filter - Katech ported TB - GM Dark Tail Lights - GM ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light - HRE FF04 - Eibach Springs
the_swiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #13
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Upgrade the transmission fluid, and it will help... The tremec is a notchy prick when she's cold. Gotta be slow, and precise... And don't try to shift into 1st while moving until she's warm, lol.

I want to put a pan heater on my SS M6, if I can find one that fits.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Just took mine into the dealership for this exact issue a few days ago. They ended up replacing the fluid in the clutch pack, but it was covered under warranty and hasn't done it since. Had them replace the rear diff fluid while they were at it too since they could test both issues at the same time.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote