Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 12-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #2857
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
We will just have to agree to disagree. And I am not trying to make that a slight or bash on the ZL1.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #2858
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Lot of good tid-bits sneaking out on the GT500 if you kno where to look.

Can’t begin to guess on price, but I’d say at least one version of this car is aimed at/around the ZL1-1LE track performance.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #2859
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lot of good tid-bits sneaking out on the GT500 if you kno where to look.

Can’t begin to guess on price, but I’d say at least one version of this car is aimed at/around the ZL1-1LE track performance.

Don't hold your breath. The wait might be longer than most people are expecting.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #2860
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
If I'm going to spend upwards of 50k for a car and I'm not thrown back in my seat as soon as I hit the gas, I'm not interested. I don't care if it revs to 50k rpms. I'll take the old push rod with a smile.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #2861
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Don't hold your breath. The wait might be longer than most people are expecting.

Not suggesting it’s about to hit streets, just that some of the aero pieces are trickling out.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #2862
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The ZL1 has accomplished greatness while making it look so simple that some take it for granted.

Cushy daily drive that can run with the Hellcat on the street and beat a GT350R on the track. All for $65k with reliability and a warranty to play hard.

Thats what I call *Special*

The other definitions of special discussed here mean unattainable by the general public.
Of course I am biased but, yea I think my ZL1 is special, especially after owning a 700 hp Z/28 and can really compare the two.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #2863
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The ZL1 has accomplished greatness while making it look so simple that some take it for granted.

Cushy daily drive that can run with the Hellcat on the street and beat a GT350R on the track. All for $65k with reliability and a warranty to play hard.

Thats what I call *Special*

The other definitions of special discussed here mean unattainable by the general public.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it is that Cushy comment, that is the ZL1's problem. Is it more like a CTSV or a Z28? What is the driver engagement? Are you driving the car or is the car driving you and you are simply steering?

A few of MotorTrends comments:

When you're not pounding the bloody edge of the envelope, the car is too docile. There's not much to remind you that you are driving one hell of a world-class sports car.

The thing is, when you get these two studs on a winding canyon road, the Shelby is the car you want to be driving. That steering simply comes alive. The GT350R sports one of the best-feeling front ends I've had the privilege of experiencing. It's simply excellent. This Shelby's shifter shifts better, the engine feels better (who wouldn't take an 8,250-rpm redline over a 6,500-rpm limit?), the brake pedal feels better, and the car is simply sportier in every way. The R's just more fun to drive. Again, I'm not sure how Ford Performance did it, but I think there's a layer of pixie dust baked into the GT350R. I might call it a thing divine.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #2864
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it is that Cushy comment, that is the ZL1's problem. Is it more like a CTSV or a Z28? What is the driver engagement? Are you driving the car or is the car driving you and you are simply steering?

A few of MotorTrends comments:

When you're not pounding the bloody edge of the envelope, the car is too docile. There's not much to remind you that you are driving one hell of a world-class sports car.

The thing is, when you get these two studs on a winding canyon road, the Shelby is the car you want to be driving. That steering simply comes alive. The GT350R sports one of the best-feeling front ends I've had the privilege of experiencing. It's simply excellent. This Shelby's shifter shifts better, the engine feels better (who wouldn't take an 8,250-rpm redline over a 6,500-rpm limit?), the brake pedal feels better, and the car is simply sportier in every way. The R's just more fun to drive. Again, I'm not sure how Ford Performance did it, but I think there's a layer of pixie dust baked into the GT350R. I might call it a thing divine.
Do you want a car that FEELS faster or a car that IS faster? Which is more important? I can get in my ZL1, throw it in CC, hit 65 MPH on the GSP, kick back, and enjoy my drive home. Do I need to be reminded that I'm in a World-class sports car? No! But, at the drop of the hat, when it's time to come alive, the ZL1 goes from sedated to maniac in a split second. That is what GM set out to accomplish with this car. They built it to be a car that can do everything well while still remaining comfortable for the driver. If someone wants a sportier fell, then that's what the ZL1 1LE is for. The standard ZL1 doesn't have to be like that. Plus the fact that it performs like a World-class sports car while beating the allegedly sportier GT350R at everything yet does not have to remind you of such is what makes the ZL1 "special". As said before, everything you get in the ZL1 at the price you get it for is what makes it a "special" car.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #2865
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Do you want a car that FEELS faster or a car that IS faster? Which is more important?
I don't think they said the 350 felt faster. They said it felt better, more precise, more visceral.

The 350R is faster in turns, the ZL1 is faster in the straights, so in terms of a "Drivers Car" the 350 is the car they would choose.

"and the car is simply sportier in every way"
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #2866
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Do you want a car that FEELS faster or a car that IS faster? Which is more important? I can get in my ZL1, throw it in CC, hit 65 MPH on the GSP, kick back, and enjoy my drive home. Do I need to be reminded that I'm in a World-class sports car? No! But, at the drop of the hat, when it's time to come alive, the ZL1 goes from sedated to maniac in a split second. That is what GM set out to accomplish with this car. They built it to be a car that can do everything well while still remaining comfortable for the driver. If someone wants a sportier fell, then that's what the ZL1 1LE is for. The standard ZL1 doesn't have to be like that. Plus the fact that it performs like a World-class sports car while beating the allegedly sportier GT350R at everything yet does not have to remind you of such is what makes the ZL1 "special". As said before, everything you get in the ZL1 at the price you get it for is what makes it a "special" car.
Your asking the wrong person, I could go out and buy a new GT or 1LE for slightly more than the value of my Boss, while faster neither one can come close too the pure driving enjoyment and engagement I presently have. So yes I will sacrifice the 1% driving or tick of a stopwatch to thoroughly enjoy the other 99%.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #2867
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
I don't think they said the 350 felt faster. They said it felt better, more precise, more visceral.

The 350R is faster in turns, the ZL1 is faster in the straights, so in terms of a "Drivers Car" the 350 is the car they would choose.

I have never tracked a 350 or a ZL1 so I dont know how they feel in high speed turns. What I do know is the 350 shakes, vibrates, and feels very stiff. It also is missing 50% of the options I would want in a daily driver. So in that respect I could see someone describing it as more "sporty" or "purpose built". It is certainly more "exotic" sounding than the ZL1. But at the end of the day what matters to me is how the car performs and confident I am behind the wheel.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #2868
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post

Well I'm asking what you would choose. Sure MT said the GT350R is their choice. But they do not speak for everyone. Which would you choose? If it's the R then that's cool. I'm not gonna knock you for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Your asking the wrong person, I could go out and buy a new GT or 1LE for slightly more than the value of my Boss, while faster neither one can come close too the pure driving enjoyment and engagement I presently have. So yes I will sacrifice the 1% driving or tick of a stopwatch to thoroughly enjoy the other 99%.
I wanted your opinion. And I agree that enjoying a car is important. But my enjoyment comes from the performance of the car. And the ZL1 delivers that in excess. At any speed in any gear you can tap the gas lightly and you're already in boost and the car is ready to downshift and blast off. That is what I enjoy about the car. The GT350R needs to build it's RPMs up. And while that is typical of the OHC engines, I personally don't enjoy that.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #2869
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Not suggesting it’s about to hit streets, just that some of the aero pieces are trickling out.

I gotcha man. 2020 at dealers is the word. It will NOT be out in 2019.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #2870
kttxz06

Btw. Just got home from the dealership with my GT350. I'll post pics up tomorrow.

Driving impressions. Okay. I drove it 25 miles, so not alot of seat time and this is my first ever manual so keep that in mind.

It's hard for me to give a review cus my Zl1 is 1200 hp so. haha. It's almost impossible to be fair here, but stock for stock. It's a murder fest. The Zl1 wipes the floor. Let's be honest. From a dig, omg, yea, it won't be close.

Having said that. I went for value as I said b4. I got it for $51k w/800 miles on it. It's the color combo I wanted and I can put $15k in it and have solid 700 hp 2nd car for the streets. I won't be winning any street races, but I'm going for a solid build and will end up doing some CF work and suspension/wheel upgrades. I've already ordered my JLT intake and Kooks headers and Diode lighting. Every light will be changed out with Diodes to clean the look up.

Car felt fine on the streets. Good ride quality. I think the 350 has mag ride, but I haven't gone through the settings, but I didn't see any suspension settings to my knowledge. I'll play with it tomorrow. (nm, settings are on the steering wheel) haha.

Overall, for the price, it will be a nice car to build on. I'm happy with it but it def doesn't give me that oh shit feeling I got when I bought the Zl1. New for New, I'm doing the Zl1 over again. But used, the value was there to pull the trigger on the Shelby. Plus, i always wanted one even tho i knew they were down on power. They just look fkn sexy.

Last edited by kttxz06; 12-06-2018 at 09:29 PM.
kttxz06 is offline   Reply With Quote