Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have afe power headers and exhaust but for awhile i only had headers with npp exhaust

it was was louder than stock and actually sounded really good but after i added the axleback it was just louder but doesnt really add anymore power but damn it does sound good on the track
Thanks. beyond sound, i am question the return for mods past the headers. HP return for the $ spent that is. but would get over it if it was not too much of an increase (in decibel level).
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #16
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
You might gain a few horsepower but not much but you will save a decent amount of weight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #17
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
You might gain a few horsepower but not much but you will save a decent amount of weight.

good point. Was going to think on weight reductions, after completing the suspension and engine mods. but should be doing so concurrently.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #18
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post

No not really -on both counts - not enough to make a difference anyway.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #19
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
there is no power to be gained after the cats until you get to 700-800hp
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #20
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
No not really -on both counts - not enough to make a difference anyway.

Yeah I know most manufacturers claim a few horsepower not really sure how much though and I know my AWE catback was lighter than the stock NPP, not sure on how much there either.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #21
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Guys, thanks for sharing the experience and perspective.

How about secondary cat delete, with regard to decibel level or HP? Or a single high flow cat?

again, mine's not a daily, and I'm not in Cali. But i am in Austin, which is trying to be like Cali. And last thing i want to spend time on is issues getting a new inspection. I was considering just doing headers, and leaving everything else in place, including the sec cat. if possible. i was guessing not much HP gain for removing the second by itself (eg not when coupled with headers or other changes)..... but don't know.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #22
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
thanks, yep, i suspect compromise is in the future.
Gig' Em!
Oh no no no, I'm a Red Raider.

Wreck 'em!
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #23
JCunningham

Quote:
Guys, thanks for sharing the experience and perspective.

How about secondary cat delete, with regard to decibel level or HP? Or a single high flow cat?

again, mine's not a daily, and I'm not in Cali. But i am in Austin, which is trying to be like Cali. And last thing i want to spend time on is issues getting a new inspection. I was considering just doing headers, and leaving everything else in place, including the sec cat. if possible. i was guessing not much HP gain for removing the second by itself (eg not when coupled with headers or other changes)..... but don't know.
its not possible to do long tube headers and keep the factory cats. Well you could weld the factory cats down past the headers but that would take the sound and power gained away so why bother. the car comes stock with shorty headers so nothing to gain by putting shorties in it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 06-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #24
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
its not possible to do long tube headers and keep the factory cats. Well you could weld the factory cats down past the headers but that would take the sound and power gained away so why bother. the car comes stock with shorty headers so nothing to gain by putting shorties in it.
ah, thanks! Guess that in part explains the cat vs non-catted header option i see.

btw, i noticed your footer info - your mods are near exact what i intend to do this first round. Have any dyno or track results that you don't mind sharing?
Old 06-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I totally get what you're saying... You want the HP gains without going louder.

Yes, headers are a great HP gain for the buck but no matter what you do it will be exponentially louder no matter what system you choose. That cannot be avoided.

Your best bet is to stay away from exhaust, throw a supercharger on and call it a day.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #26
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Oh no no no, I'm a Red Raider.

Wreck 'em!
LOL, well, tough place to be as a Raider, eh? All A&M, all the time on the news... I'm an Aggie in Austin, so i can relate.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #27
JCunningham

Quote:
ah, thanks! Guess that in part explains the cat vs non-catted header option i see.

btw, i noticed your footer info - your mods are near exact what i intend to do this first round. Have any dyno or track results that you don't mind sharing?
you can buy long tube headers with or without high flow cats. any long tube header will remove the factory cats. you will have to cut the exhaust past the cats to put them in. Shorty headers will bolt to your factory cats. But you already have shorty headers so nothing to gain from them. you only gain 20hp from longtubes on this car. removing the factory cats gets you most of the power. If your going to do long tube headers get highflow cats. you only gain 2hp by going catless and the car will stink like sulfur. Anyone in CA should leave there exhaust alone. its not worth it to fail inspection.
my tuner has a mustang dyno and doesnt inflate his numbers. on 93 it put down 416hp 444ftlbs on E85 429hp 465ftlbs both SAE. from customers that then put their cars on a dynojet to see the numbers. they were 13% to 15% higher on a dyno jet so on 93 470hp 501ftlbs on E85 484hp 525ftlbs. the torque reading seams very high but he just had the dyno calibrated so maybe the 13% is more than the difference now.

Last edited by JCunningham; 06-14-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #28
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I totally get what you're saying... You want the HP gains without going louder.

Yes, headers are a great HP gain for the buck but no matter what you do it will be exponentially louder no matter what system you choose. That cannot be avoided.

Your best bet is to stay away from exhaust, throw a supercharger on and call it a day.
I haven't filled the cart and ordered the items yet... and i must say,i do keep flip flopping on doing just that - go with a single, mod - SC. I like the things i read on Procharger, and seemingly lower IAT. but it is more than i wanted to spend on round 1. I just stumbled across someone who noted one of the retailers with ~$5k price for an LT4 system. I will look at that as well... What i do like on this route is, short some BMR additions, I'd be done.

Thanks for sharing the numbers!