Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #15
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The fluid has a part number, so it’s a part. Doesn’t matter what phase of matter it is, solid liquid or gas. A part is a part. Car won’t run without this part #.

Dealer replaced the faulty part (fluid) before under warranty and it didn’t work. So you may still be covered by lemon law if your first repair was within 24 months of purchase.

https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Do...-LLsummary.pdf

They are! GM and the dealer have been really unfair to me and I'm trying to find legal representation. It's unreal how they refuse to fix an integral part of the car that clearly has a design defect.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #16
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We can refer you to a FL Facility that has replacement billet units made that corrects this and greatly improves acceleration, but that's about it.

Looks like limited success from GM and this is a very widespread issue across many platforms. Email direct: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com for more info.

Thanks!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #17
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
We can refer you to a FL Facility that has replacement billet units made that corrects this and greatly improves acceleration, but that's about it.

Looks like limited success from GM and this is a very widespread issue across many platforms. Email direct: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com for more info.

Thanks!
Pardon the ignorance, but what is a billet?

That being said, if I have an ASE certified mechanic saying a part needs to be replaced and he does the diagnosis and work, my extended warranty company said they'd cover it in full.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #18
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
Pardon the ignorance, but what is a billet?

That being said, if I have an ASE certified mechanic saying a part needs to be replaced and he does the diagnosis and work, my extended warranty company said they'd cover it in full.
Difference Between Cast and Billet

To create an aluminum casting, one must first create a mold of the part that is to be created. The mold is formed when the pattern is pushed into chemically binded sand leaving the impression of the part to be casted. Once the mold is complete the molten aluminum is poured into the mold and allowed to cool and harden. Once the molten aluminum solidifies, the mold is pulled apart and out comes the desired part.

On the other hand, billet aluminum is formed in a completely different manner. To understand completely how a billet aluminum part is made, it is necessary to understand what a billet is. A billet is a solid block of aluminum (or any material) with the size depending on the size of your desired part. The larger the desired part, the larger the billet. Contrary to casting, billet parts are created by removing excess material from the billet, essentially the part is carved out of solid block.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #19
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I never bothered with the dealer after getting a run-around on the issue and they couldn't find any information on the TSB.

I changed to Amsoil fluid and the problem is solved. Hasn't returned. I listed in detail the events to this (somewhere on this forum)... the best I can recall without looking into the details is 12,000 miles with shudder issues. Did a temp. external 10 micron filter, removed the pan and put a new filter in, filled with Amsoil.

Since your out of warranty it wouldn't hurt you any to look into this option. Even if you take the car to a shop to fix...just make sure you get the trans. filter replaced and filled with Amsoil Fuel efficient signature series.

Best of luck on whatever you decide for your repairs.
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #20
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrj2000 View Post
I never bothered with the dealer after getting a run-around on the issue and they couldn't find any information on the TSB.

I changed to Amsoil fluid and the problem is solved. Hasn't returned. I listed in detail the events to this (somewhere on this forum)... the best I can recall without looking into the details is 12,000 miles with shudder issues. Did a temp. external 10 micron filter, removed the pan and put a new filter in, filled with Amsoil.

Since your out of warranty it wouldn't hurt you any to look into this option. Even if you take the car to a shop to fix...just make sure you get the trans. filter replaced and filled with Amsoil Fuel efficient signature series.

See your problem lies with you speaking common sense. Most people here just trade them in and lose thousands of dollars rather than take the $100 hit and change the fluid to something good. God forbid they even spend the cash to get a billet TC and really have something nice. The A8 is one of the best tran's out there, and in the camaro with a real TC, its a beast. Get a trans tune and you can easily run deep 11s in an otherwise stock car.

Or just keep trading them in for people like me to buy them up cheap.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrj2000 View Post

I'm more than happy to DIY this repair if I can. I changed my own diff fluid.

Is this something I could do at home? I have no interest in trading in this car and want to keep it running for decades to come (who knows if this is an unrealistic expectation)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #22
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I went with a billet unit from Circle D and never looked back, my was still even under warranty when I did it but wanted it fixed right the first time.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #23
smkymntn
Smoky

Drives: 2018 1SS
I live in tampa. I have my replaced stock TC. I will cut you a deal on part then get car tcm tuned. problem solved. I went with circle D and tune and now love the A8. It does suck but knowing that GM in incapable/unwilling to correctly solve issue you are at a crossroads.
smkymntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #24
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:

Is this something I could do at home? I have no interest in trading in this car and want to keep it running for decades to come (who knows if this is an unrealistic expectation)
It can be done, but it's better to have it flushed, especially since it's a lot of money in fluid. You don't want to have to do it again.

FYI i'm now 300 miles in after having the mobil 1 fluid put in. Smooth as silk and no shudder. I guess i didn't realize how bad it was till i got the flush and new fluid. The things I thought were bumps was clearly the torque converter slipping.

Will it last? Who knows but i sure hope so.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #25
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:

I managed to do this a my house...but it wasn't my first experience with fluid.

You can plan it to take a day and you need a pump to refill the trans fluid.
(simple drill pump works).

I tapped into the inter-cooler line and refilled (where I had the temp filter.)

I can't advise one way or another on your ability or skill level...or even comfort of crawling around under the car on jacks...

I would hate to say you "can" and just have you end up hurt or massive problems when attempting to do it.

So...my official response is "youtube" a few video's. If you feel good about it then that is your call.

If you choose a shop (not dealer) then make sure they use the fluid you request.

I suggested the fluid as it fixed mine and I didn't have to pull the transmission on a car with 15,000 miles on it.
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote