Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Illustrated E2 Single port catch can installation for LGX

I'll first point out that I'm not entirely sure my installation is correct. As others have noted the EliteEngineering installation instructions are fantastically bad. So if I got something wrong or could have done something better, I hope someone will correct me.

The can I selected was the EliteEngineering E2 single port without the clean side separator (which I can always add later). If you want to duplicate my installation, you will just need to order this can and the only option you'll need to include is the check valve. It should be noted right away the kit will NOT include all the pieces and parts you need for this install. As I go along I will include the references to the parts I acquired.

The absolute hardest part of this install was trying to figure out how to plumb this thing. I spent a lot of time pouring over Kirk's two install videos and without these I would have been completely lost. However the can he has included more options and I also didn't want to mount the can in the same place he used(more on this later). My install was considerably simpler as I had only half the plumbing to worry about and undoubtedly the easier half.

The second hardest part was figuring out where to mount the thing. The directions from EliteEngineering specify two different mounting locations. Kirk put his in the alternate location which matches the included bracket. I wanted to go with the location on the passenger side of the engine behind the large radiator hose. This presented a problem because the included bracket isn't correct for this location. But this was easy enough to fix. Below is where Kirk installed his can with the bracket location marked in green. I didn't really like this location because here's less room to empty the can and the hose marked in red gets in the way.

Here is the first location specified in the instructions. There's a 15mm bolt holding a ground wire onto the engine which is removed in this picture.

Luckily I had some 12ga perforated angle iron, so I cut about a 1" section to use as an adapter shown here mounted in this location.

So now I have a mounting location that will work, and I actually think it works better because it allows me to mount the can more towards the passenger side and not under the radiator hose as the installation instructions show. This gives me a bit more room to remove the can for drainage when the time comes.

Before mounting the can I suggest installing the ends of the included hose to the ports on the can. There's no need to cut the hose at this point. Here's the can bolted into the location. It's not as sturdy as I would like due to the bracket design, but it's not going anywhere.

Here is the rest of the routing so far. The 3/8" catch can hose is marked in green and the existing hard line PCV is marked in red at the location where it needs to be cut.

The next step is to cut the hard line and tap threads into each cut end with a 1/4" NPT tap. The tap didn't fit my smaller tap wrenches but the box end of a 13mm wrench worked perfectly.

Next I installed the 1/4" NPT to 3/8" barb connectors. One is a right angle and the other is straight. I used some teflon tape on the threads of the connectors and 16-18mm hose clamps both of which is probably unnecessary, but I did it anyway.

Here is the hoses cut and installed with 16-18mm hose clamps. The spot market in green is where the check valve will go which is inline with the exit side of the can.

Here's everything all buttoned up. Almost all the plumbing is concealed under the cover. The end result looks very clean and hardly noticeable.

dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
1LEHyperblue

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE
Hey man, nice write up! I'm doing a similar install with a 2 port oil catch can. I do have a question though, does the hose adapters need to be the metal ones you use or with plastic ones be good enough?
1LEHyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
there's plenty of room to install the can on the driver side where you made all those modifications to the dirty side pcv system. Why route it all the way to the passenger (clean) side where it looks objectively harder to access to maintain?

You mention it gives you more room, but it looks like it's behind the fuse box and clean side hard-tubes while on the driver side, nothing is really blocking access to it and nothing else other than the engine cover needs to be removed to completely remove the can to clean.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
there's plenty of room to install the can on the driver side where you made all those modifications to the dirty side pcv system. Why route it all the way to the passenger (clean) side where it looks objectively harder to access to maintain?

You mention it gives you more room, but it looks like it's behind the fuse box and clean side hard-tubes while on the driver side, nothing is really blocking access to it and nothing else other than the engine cover needs to be removed to completely remove the can to clean.
I've seen installations where the can is mounted on the right side for 2016 models, but I could not find a way to do so with mine. Could be that I'm too stupid to figure out how or it could be there were some changes made in 2018. Either way it wasn't an option for me.

My mounting location doesn't require removing the cover to access the can. It goes on and off quite easily from that location.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
Flavio

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 V6 Black
Did you collect oil with this installation?

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote