Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Removing heat extractors

As the title says.. I am thinking about ordering new ones and while I haven't looked closely yet - was wondering how one removes/installs them?

Appears in the images that there are two tabs on them?
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
would like to know this as well as i plan to go over them with some matte clear
Old 09-28-2017, 05:28 AM   #3
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Iirc, remove the hoodliner, then there's one or 2 10mm head nuts you remove. Then there's a bunch of little clips all the way around. I think i started in the front. Release the 2 farthest forward (closest to the rain tray) and push outward. It's a pita to push out because of the 3m that holds them on as well.

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
if you end up selling your current set, please PM me.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
Iirc, remove the hoodliner, then there's one or 2 10mm head nuts you remove. Then there's a bunch of little clips all the way around. I think i started in the front. Release the 2 farthest forward (closest to the rain tray) and push outward. It's a pita to push out because of the 3m that holds them on as well.
This exact process
Did mine last weekend, took like 10 mins..... just don’t drop the 10mm nuts. Not sure where one of mine ended up
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronSlusa View Post
This exact process
Did mine last weekend, took like 10 mins..... just don’t drop the 10mm nuts. Not sure where one of mine ended up
Bottom of that aluminum shear plate haha. I've done that with another bolt. It sucks!

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Old 09-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronSlusa View Post
This exact process
If I could do it again, id try to poor a little goo be gone in the crack between the heat extractor and hood. Just to make it a little easier to seperate the 3m

Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Thanks.. Il have a look at what ide be up against.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
buzookajoe
Datinurmomlikeitsmyjob

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE & 24’ ZL1
Yep did heat extractors today and while popping out those plastic thumb tacks/rivets one of them buggers popped out far and shot right down through the bottom of the engine bay.. I have no idea where it went down below to the tray at the bottom. Wish I could get to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
Bottom of that aluminum shear plate haha. I've done that with another bolt. It sucks!
buzookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #10
buzookajoe
Datinurmomlikeitsmyjob

Smile Currently working on my hood heat extractor vents...

Hood heat extractors/vents are my current project im working to complete by tomorrow evening. I read ,watched, and asked dealership body shop guys about removing these. Most consensus was that they were a pain in the ass to remove from the hood. Due to the adhesive of 3m seal around them stuck to the hood cut outs from factory.

However for me that was not the issue, once I got those large finger tab clips free by depressing them the extractors were ready to be pulled out. I used a acrylic automatic tool wedge edging around it to break it loose easily without damager to my 1LE blk satin factory hood wrap.

that said for me the difficult was breaking loos the 2 parts that were together for each extractor once I removed it from the hood.
the extractor has 2 pieces (the top piece that is visible that you see looking at the hood. And the bottom piece that is attached which you visibly see when the hood is up: those tabs holding those two pieces together were a b*tch for me to get pulled/released apart.

have about 2 more coats to put on the bottom pieces of the extractors then I Should have everything re-installed later tomorrow> I'll post the completed/end result pics next
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
buzookajoe
Datinurmomlikeitsmyjob

Heat extractor insert painted completed!

I was able to finish adding red accents to the hood heat extractor/vents...

came out just as some had done on here.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #12
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
I easily removed the bottom trays for painting without removing the top half.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #13
tmmk11roberts

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/SS
Looks Awesome!
tmmk11roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzookajoe View Post
Hood heat extractors/vents are my current project im working to complete by tomorrow evening. I read ,watched, and asked dealership body shop guys about removing these. Most consensus was that they were a pain in the ass to remove from the hood. Due to the adhesive of 3m seal around them stuck to the hood cut outs from factory.

However for me that was not the issue, once I got those large finger tab clips free by depressing them the extractors were ready to be pulled out. I used a acrylic automatic tool wedge edging around it to break it loose easily without damager to my 1LE blk satin factory hood wrap.

that said for me the difficult was breaking loos the 2 parts that were together for each extractor once I removed it from the hood.
the extractor has 2 pieces (the top piece that is visible that you see looking at the hood. And the bottom piece that is attached which you visibly see when the hood is up: those tabs holding those two pieces together were a b*tch for me to get pulled/released apart.

have about 2 more coats to put on the bottom pieces of the extractors then I Should have everything re-installed later tomorrow> I'll post the completed/end result pics next
Very nice! I just recently got my hood and extractors on, I'll have to go home and double check that I have that piece that you painted. I'm thinking of trying some vinyl mainly due to me not wanting to paint the piece right when I got it, probably try to have the vinyl run for a bit until it eventually shrivles up.
Bumbleboy92 is online now   Reply With Quote