Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #71
TrackClub


 
TrackClub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
I push the car hard. From what others say they get out of them is not what I've seen. It's all relative on skill level. Andy Lee who is Pirelli World Challenge Series driver told me after just 5 laps they fall off. He was at my last track day and coached me. See my thread video.
Nowhere is it demonstrated better than in Nascar, where leaders will come in for fresh rubber under caution even if they only have just a few laps on current tires.

Having said that, some drivers are better than others in managing tires. Some drive with bigger slip angles, some are neat and tidy. Braking - which generates tons of heat - will also matter. So will a vanue regarding load levels. Some of us amateurs will push a whole session. Some of us wont. Etc. So much comes into play here.

Bottom line nothing trumps fresh rubber and "more" speed costs more, no matter what. Assuming one is skilled enough to actually get it out of a faster tire, which is not a given.

As far as the 19s i believe one of the series or classes have switched tires and hence they are not as easily available anymore. Sorry i cant recall exact details here.
TrackClub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM   #72
GunMetalGrey
 
GunMetalGrey's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
As far as the 19s i believe one of the series or classes have switched tires and hence they are not as easily available anymore. Sorry i cant recall exact details here.
Yes that is what Todd said, no 305/690/19's this year... I'm wondering if going with 18" wheels and slicks will be safer in the sense that there will be more options more consistently
__________________
Racing is fun, but really living life means looking outside yourself, not just your car window.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #73
TrackClub


 
TrackClub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Yes that is what Todd said, no 305/690/19's this year... I'm wondering if going with 18" wheels and slicks will be safer in the sense that there will be more options more consistently
Id very much think so. Call those guys. Ask what sizes are the most prevalent. Etc. How did your second track day go btw? Signed up for more soon?!
TrackClub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #74
GunMetalGrey
 
GunMetalGrey's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Id very much think so. Call those guys. Ask what sizes are the most prevalent. Etc. How did your second track day go btw? Signed up for more soon?!
Thanks, yeah well, I plan on going once a month.
It's a very tight technical slow track (Vancouver Island Motorsports Circuit) that is much more ideal for nimble and all wheels drive cars or Porsches with their 4 wheel steering and engine weight over the back tires, so it's very challenging to keep up, but that competition makes it's fun and pushes me not to rely on my HP which I can't really use at this track anyways. Hence why I'm looking at getting better tires next year once I feel I've maxed out my lap time with these stock tires.

Next year or the year after they are building some huge straightaways, they said something like the longer largest straight stretches on in western North America
__________________
Racing is fun, but really living life means looking outside yourself, not just your car window.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #75
TrackClub


 
TrackClub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks, yeah well, I plan on going once a month.
It's a very tight technical slow track (Vancouver Island Motorsports Circuit) that is much more ideal for nimble and all wheels drive cars or Porsches with their 4 wheel steering and engine weight over the back tires, so it's very challenging to keep up, but that competition makes it's fun and pushes me not to rely on my HP which I can't really use at this track anyways. Hence why I'm looking at getting better tires next year once I feel I've maxed out my lap time with these stock tires.

Next year or the year after they are building some huge straightaways, they said something like the longer largest straight stretches on in western North America
Yep i think that track rewards driver skill first and foremost. But really that the case with most venues.

Anyhow, oops, i must have completely misunderstood your skill level, thinking you were just starting out the hobby. Obviously that's not the case if youve maxed out the pace after 2 days there. Cheers!
TrackClub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #76
GunMetalGrey
 
GunMetalGrey's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Yep i think that track rewards driver skill first and foremost. But really that the case with most venues.

Anyhow, oops, i must have completely misunderstood your skill level, thinking you were just starting out the hobby. Obviously that's not the case if youve maxed out the pace after 2 days there. Cheers!
lol no I have definitely not maxed out my lap time!
I meant I feel that I will be very close to maxing out my lap times at this track with this set up by the end of this year. FYI I'm going for lessons with a dedicated instructor for a full day next.

You had it right, I have just started this year.
__________________
Racing is fun, but really living life means looking outside yourself, not just your car window.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; Yesterday at 04:14 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #77
TrackClub


 
TrackClub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
lol no I have definitely not maxed out my lap time!
I meant I feel that I will be very close to maxing out my lap times at this track with this set up by the end of this year. FYI I'm going for lessons with a dedicated instructor for a full day next.

You had it right, I have just started this year.
Good call on the instructor! Id say keep their services for a whole season (and beyond) if you want your learning curve as steep and effective as possible. Especially that single day, monthly outings are far from ideal. 2 or even 3 days is succession are much more effective for new skills to stick and build upon. Our brains need repeating cycles to learn new motors skills and sensory perceptions. Lest they erode.

So given 6-8 days for this season, id just forget about slicks and instead focus 100% on yourself. You will get comfy with the track line wise, comfy with a car to a degree, but not even remotely close to push it to its current limits.

And unless you can push a car to its limit (and recover when you cross it), slicks will be counter productive to your development. And then you will be THAT guy, with 650HP *AND* slicks but with no pace to match the credentials. DO NOT BE THAT GUY LOL!

NB I drive a very similar track to yours: Mosport DDT. Forget your car's perceived shortcomings vs "competition" as they are far from real. Trust me on this one. Gen6 is one of the sweetest handling platforms bar none. Watch Provoste at Barber chase down two well driven GT3s.
Note where he gains on them. Much to learn from this vid. Note he is on street tires and stock pads and he drives a bone stock car. You have the same car plus 200HP and 200TQ extra. So...do NOT touch the car! Focus on yourself. You will never regret it. I guarantee it.
TrackClub is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
coilover, dssv, track, zle

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.