Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #15
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
You can not really compare Centri IAT's to PD IAT's since the sensor is not in the same location. PD units place the sensor in the supercharger, so they read a higher temp. The tune is modified to account for it.

I can do several pulls back to back when it's 85 degrees out and still hit it's targeted 21 degrees timing advance, so it's not getting hot enough to pull timing.

I do think Centri's run a little cooler but it's not as drastic as the IAT numbers show.
I can only attest for the numbers I am seeing, but on my setup I put in my own IAT sensor and it is located about 2" behind the throttle body. So it is actually reading the air pretty much at the head.

Running the car over this weekend and we had low 90 ambient temps here and watching IAT while under boost and with the Meth system running on its own, it would drop temps from 103 to sub 60 degrees in about a second. I have absolutely no reason to exaggerate the number. I am trying to be as accurate as I can in order to help the OP.

As far as Centri or PD running cooler - its just physics. I myself see no more than 8-12 degrees above ambient when out driving / cruising in open air (speed is almost irrelative as long as there is 1500+ RPM to draw air thru the intercooler). Of course letting the car sit, or stop and go traffic it gets higher, but I am actually impressed with how well the I/C drops the temp.

Timing wise - I am actually close to 40 degrees with no KR (on E85 and Meth)

Im not trying to start a Centrifugal vs P/D conversation, just trying to pass along actual data vs all the hype that is advertised out there.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I can only attest for the numbers I am seeing, but on my setup I put in my own IAT sensor and it is located about 2" behind the throttle body. So it is actually reading the air pretty much at the head.

Running the car over this weekend and we had low 90 ambient temps here and watching IAT while under boost and with the Meth system running on its own, it would drop temps from 103 to sub 60 degrees in about a second. I have absolutely no reason to exaggerate the number. I am trying to be as accurate as I can in order to help the OP.

As far as Centri or PD running cooler - its just physics. I myself see no more than 8-12 degrees above ambient when out driving / cruising in open air (speed is almost irrelative as long as there is 1500+ RPM to draw air thru the intercooler). Of course letting the car sit, or stop and go traffic it gets higher, but I am actually impressed with how well the I/C drops the temp.

Timing wise - I am actually close to 40 degrees with no KR (on E85 and Meth)

Im not trying to start a Centrifugal vs P/D conversation, just trying to pass along actual data vs all the hype that is advertised out there.
That is still not the same...2" behind the Throttle body will yield cooler temps then at the back of the intake down by the head ports.

I was referring to WOT timing... Part throttle timing in closed loop varies from 10degrees around idle up to 38 degrees at different loads. Nobody ever really refers to that timing data, it's usually WOT timing. I am @ 21 degrees WOT, I have heard some push upwards of 25, but the engine would never make it 40 degrees on boost without self destructing.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote