Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2019, 03:33 AM   #57
18i4m6

Drives: 2018 I4 M6
Hi, I'm writing this for myself as much as for you.

One of my first cars in my teens was a manual 1997 Dodge Neon and I loved beating on it.

I got a little older and got a bike.

That bike lead to becoming a superbike stuntrider and lots of other bikes.

Then getting older and wanting to get out of the game I built a lowered stretched ZX14, with 2.7 second 0-60 and 186mph top that I couldn't stunt.

I think it is a fair assessment that I have done a lot and pushed most boundaries of mechanics, speed, physics and common sense.

When I was really into the street scene, I had lots of friends in tuner and muscle car circles. I always liked all of their cars and track events for different reasons but I was never a 'car guy'.

Mechanically I now know my way around a wrench and have stripped and rebuilt lotsa bikes and even partial engines. However I still prefer zipties and spraypaint to any kind of proper repair strategies.

Got married, kids, an Avalanche, Suburban, and Silverado and loved them all but I don't consider myself a 'Chevy Guy'. I actually just got an F150 for the rear seat space and it is sick.

That purchase also plays into this decision... it has a 3.6 Twin turbo EcoBoost... The engine is amazing... I think it is way better than the V8 in my Silverado.

Bringing us to present day, I wanted the car from fast and furious that I never had at that time. I even considered buying an old Stealth and fixing it up.

I test drove a 2012 SS, and found it sluggish, (no offense to SS guys, just my personal experience).

I began to realize that pretty much everything was going to feel sluggish given my past experiences. (That sounds pretentious and I'm not trying to sound cool honestly, but it is hard to replicate superbike experience with cars.)

So here I am, after a lot of thought, not only is this going to make economic sense, I really think that this is the car for me. Fast enough with lots of everyday usable power, modifiable, and sexy. I don't want the 8 and I have got nothing to prove and nobody else should feel that they do either.

All those reasons and experiences are why I should be closing the deal within a few days sight unseen and undriven on a black 2018 i4 m6. They don't have any around here, I'm getting it shipped from another province for $2k.

It's funny how generational experiences shift.* Have any of you had similar experiences?

(Ps.. I've always really like the woosh )

Thanks for reading, enjoy your rides!
18i4m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #58
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
^^^
I feel you man. The four manual is the car for when you just want to blast it around the curves. Maximum bang for buck without any pretense. I had an SS and I loved it but when I moved to the 2.0T I felt like I was simplifying and it felt good. It is, without a doubt, the nimblest of the 6th gen camaros, which is very satisfying. I told my friend (who has an ATS) "it feels like the 6th gen Camaro was made for the LTG" and he was like "it was, actually." Well, Alpha chassis for the LTG.

Last edited by protovack; 05-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #59
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
2 reasons:

Budget
Because it still performs well with the 2.0

I hesitated to get the 3.6, but in the end, I'm not even using the full potential of the 2.0, so spending the extra for 60hp wasn't worth it for me.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #60
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Totally on impulse. I caught a flyer ad some where on a car related blog website about the 15 percent discount. Knowing it was a long shot on anything in my budget, I found really the only model I would consider, and it was the only available 18 LS M6 in this part of the country that I am aware of and it was less than an hour away. I "scanned" the web sites for comps- but not too closely if you know that I mean, lol.

Traded had a bmw Z4 that I was in the process of re-conditioning, and it was my second german car. MB C300 before that. Both my toys, second cars, drove a pickup my entire adult life, still have my cherry f150 too.

I previously drove a mustang on a trip rental. And not really looking close up I was semi aware that the camaro was more of a true sports car than the mustang. And I say this in fairness, I was less than enthused with the the mustang wheel hop issue, which I experienced first hand on it's IRS.

OK - so this may ruffle some feathers, but I was out the door with my 18 LS brand new with favorable financing for $21,400. Before Trade.

The logic was simple. Wife likes it too. I installed the Racechip RS which is being exchanged for a GTS, and I have their XLR. Absolutely a brilliant solution for those who are happy with plug and play 300+ hp which was my target power point.

I also added a Borla mid-pipe resonator just today as a matter of fact. So that's around 1k total in aftermarket investment for a well mannered, (I am saying the resonator tones down the raspy exhaust and the turbo surge seems a little more subdued, and there may be a reduction in hp), true sports car in the 20K range, that makes around 300 HP and I get regular compliments even with the stock LS wheels.

So far everything I hoped for is working out better that anticipated.

Cheers!

Last edited by wookwook; 05-12-2019 at 07:55 AM.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #61
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
To me its all about weight. With the 2.0T you get the lightest alpha platform vehicle, and the alpha chassis really doesn't like extra weight. I know because I've owned a 6th gen SS and while its an amazing car it feels heavy. A stock LS 2.0T with a simple tire upgrade is a force to be reckoned with. Doesn't hurt that its the cheapest model and gets incredible gas mileage. There are no real downsides. It isn't for people who need brute force acceleration, though for me 295 lb/ft feels plenty quick.

Last edited by protovack; 05-13-2019 at 11:37 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #62
Migs19

Drives: 2019 Crush Camaro
Why the 2.0? One word...

AUTOCROSS!

BTW-- Spokes, the club in Austin, is hosting an A-X event this Sunday May 19th at Circuit of the Americas (Lot H). Hope to see some other Camaro drivers there!

http://www.spokes.org/event/spokes-autocross-4-2/
Migs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #63
EWard

Drives: 2019 Camaro RBM M6 LTG 1LS
Page 5 is a great read, I totally agree with everyone's comments. I bought the LS M6 in December for autocross too, been to 13 events this year and the 14th Saturday. Have made 123 runs and in need of new Re71's lol.

The car is great in all respects as mentioned before. But I would like more power and a more composed suspension, but need to keep the warranty since I'm beating the crap out of the car at autocross and stay in legal DS and not go the down the rabbit hole spending 8k trying to be a competitive in CAM-C.

Thanks guys for posting your impressions, it reminds of why I purchased the car. Sometime I get caught up in car ADD and have to remember it's the best value out there.

protovack I like your analogy vs the SS.
EWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #64
eurostyle

Drives: 1LS MT
I had a 2016 V6 auto and sometimes drove the car very hard, triple digit on the freeway where I knew there was any HP. Problems started after the warranty expired, at 66.000 miles they had to change one bank of injectors on the right side of the engine, total cost $1,260.00. Ouch, that was steep. At 98.500 miles on the same right side compression on one cylinder fail and they had to change lifters, rockers and some other parts. Total cost was $3,500.00. I complained to GM was piece of chit this engine was and they helped me with 2.000, still I was not going to fork the rest on an engine which proved unreliable. I traded the car as is, still at the bay to be fixed and bought the 2019 2L Turbo. My only concern so far with this car is at high speed the car doesn't feel as planted as the V6 like it is rocking too much. Any fix for this?? Thanks guys
eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #65
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
To be different. When I bought my car I wasn't constrained by budget or fuel economy or anything else. This car exists in a fleet of 10 vehicles, none of them stock. I love the 6th gen Camaro looks, but wanted to innovate something different. How many 9 second ss/zl1 cars exist? A ton. How many LTG powered cars? Zero, well soon to be one. I used to be an ignorant **** about 4 cylinder cars. The old "they can't be fast or sound good" BS. Then I rode in Matts LNF and it changed my perspective on cars. Fast is fast. It does not matter how many cylinders it has. So with that in mind, I bought the Camaro to kick off ZZPs start to the platform. I have thoroughly enjoyed having guys argue with me that it has a v8. It seems to highly demoralize them to lose to a 4 banger. It's been a lot of fun. I hope more enter the sport and take up the mantle of modding their cars. If feels to me like we are one generation away from losing that culture. The proof of this is the lack of labor in the trades. There is a huge need. There's simply less people working with their hands. That's a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with working with your hands. Its a dignified career. I believe this generation needs to spend less time playing video games and more time in the garage learning. There's lots of life lessons to be learned from working on your car.
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #66
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post
To be different. When I bought my car I wasn't constrained by budget or fuel economy or anything else. This car exists in a fleet of 10 vehicles, none of them stock. I love the 6th gen Camaro looks, but wanted to innovate something different. How many 9 second ss/zl1 cars exist? A ton. How many LTG powered cars? Zero, well soon to be one. I used to be an ignorant **** about 4 cylinder cars. The old "they can't be fast or sound good" BS. Then I rode in Matts LNF and it changed my perspective on cars. Fast is fast. It does not matter how many cylinders it has. So with that in mind, I bought the Camaro to kick off ZZPs start to the platform. I have thoroughly enjoyed having guys argue with me that it has a v8. It seems to highly demoralize them to lose to a 4 banger. It's been a lot of fun. I hope more enter the sport and take up the mantle of modding their cars. If feels to me like we are one generation away from losing that culture. The proof of this is the lack of labor in the trades. There is a huge need. There's simply less people working with their hands. That's a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with working with your hands. Its a dignified career. I believe this generation needs to spend less time playing video games and more time in the garage learning. There's lots of life lessons to be learned from working on your car.
+1 to everything you said. Minus the multiple cars.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #67
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post
Couldn't agree more. The world has changed... I asked my (little) kids the other day how they picture surviving if the power were turned off, wouldn't come back for (gasp) a few days, and (double gasp) there were no internet either. They simply couldn't think up any solution for several minutes, and this is in a family where screen time is strictly controlled and they are taught to think for themselves plus contribute by performing their chores.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I may have a V8, but the spirit is the same, my full respect to you godfather.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #68
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Couldn't agree more. The world has changed... I asked my (little) kids the other day how they picture surviving if the power were turned off, wouldn't come back for (gasp) a few days, and (double gasp) there were no internet either. They simply couldn't think up any solution for several minutes, and this is in a family where screen time is strictly controlled and they are taught to think for themselves plus contribute by performing their chores.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I may have a V8, but the spirit is the same, my full respect to you godfather.

Couldn't help it reminded me of this.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #69
Waleedriazz

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro 2.0 I-4
You can make a 4-banger look like a joke to your wife, but you can't fool her with a v8.
That's why.
Waleedriazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #70
whatupteddy

Drives: 2017 Camaro LS
I got my 2017 LS in February 2019. At the time, I was on a budget and not even really in the market for a new car. I was only shopping because I totaled my 2012 LT in January when a deer ran in front of my car on a highway while I was headed into work. My choices came down to a 2011 SS convertible or the 2017 LS. I went with the LS because it was only $19,000 and it only had 1400 miles on it. I didn’t think I’d like the 2.0T at first, but now I love it. I finally put on a CAI and recently ordered an axle back. It’s also nice to see that there are forums like this where people will actually help as opposed to being a pretentious d*ck because they feel they’re more superior in life by driving a V8 while I’ve only got an I4
whatupteddy is offline   Reply With Quote