Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
ud03803

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Blue
NOS 2 stage mini controller

Trying to install this on my 18 ss. Everything works except tach signal. Instructions say connect to blue/violet wire going to #2 coil. It says it is a 2 wire connector. All mine are 4 wires. Anyone ever install this controller on a 6th gen? Where do I get a tach signal for this controller since Holley's instructions seem wrong. Thank you
Old 07-31-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
ud03803

OK, for anyone that needs to install the NOS mini 2 Stage progressive controller into their 6th gen let me clarify some of the instructions from Holley. Hopefully, this helps someone in the future trying to install nitrous kit 05166NOS from Holley onto a 6th gen Camaro (or possibly a vette or anything else with the gen V LT1)

TPS - Holley's instructions are vague, at best - even their pictures! The TPS signal can be found at the gas pedal. Holley has the correct wire color here (green/black), just note you have to remove the gas pedal, then you'll have access to the wire. It requires 1 bolt to remove the pedal then the bottom rotates up and back. Install is reverse. You can use their posi-tap on this wire. When you go through the mini controller configuration steps, pay special attention to the step 9 TPS calibration. After entering step 9, you then click button #2 to enter edit mode. With engine off and ignition on, you can then press the gas pedal 100% and you should see the controller respond with a reading of 2.1 - meaning 2.1 volts. It defaults to 4.0 volts and this definitely will not work! The instructions do say to do this, just read it carefully. One more note, the hole in the firewall that acts as the sound tube entry into the cabin, is a few inches above the gas pedal. This makes a great pre-made hole for running the nitrous line and all wiring. Just be sure to properly shield everything with rubber or silicon. I used the later and it worked great.

Tach Signal - Here is where Holley has seriously screwed the pooch for 6th Gens. I have included their instructions verbatim below as well as a picture of what you'll see on your #2 coil. Let's see if they jive...

Holley
15. Using a supplied Posi-Tap connector (see assembly diagram below), connect the green tach signal wire from the 2-stage mini progressive controller to the #2 coil driver signal wire (Blue/Violet Wire). This will be one of the wires on the 2 wire connector located on the ignition coil.

Now, let's look at an actual image from my 2018 Camaro SS coil pack #2.
(SEE BELOW)

Anyone see the glaring inconsistency here? Thanks Holley, but our coil packs have 4 wires, not 2! Also - looking at their instructions, they want you to tap the "(Blue/Violet Wire)". You can see where I tried that, with no luck. No tach signal at all. Then a friend of mine called and said he and a buddy did his and he found the same issue and started trying the other wires. See the Blue wire next to the Blue/Violet? It might be Blue/Green stripe I think, maybe white, second wire anyway. THAT's your tach signal wire there! Now you should be able to crank your car with the 2-button NOS controller interface plugged in, when it says "r r", you can press the #2 button and it will show your current RPM. If it does, you're good to go. I tried to put a lot of key words into this so it's searchable by others in the future. Good luck all!
Attached Images

Last edited by ud03803; 07-31-2020 at 09:35 AM.
ud03803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
Doc Oc

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Good info. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen people talk about pulling a TPS signal off the pedal but from what I've been told by a vendor here is there is also a signal at the TB, but I have never seen any mention of that here. Anyone know for sure?

Also, what color was the wire you used for TPS at the pedal please
Doc Oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
ud03803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Good info. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen people talk about pulling a TPS signal off the pedal but from what I've been told by a vendor here is there is also a signal at the TB, but I have never seen any mention of that here. Anyone know for sure?

Also, what color was the wire you used for TPS at the pedal please
Thanks. For the TPS at the pedal, it's the green/black wire. Once you remove the pedal (super easy) you'll see the connector. Just tap into that green/black wire and you're good to go.

The problem with doing it at the throttle body is that they are not connected together with a direct relationship. There is commanded throttle(gas pedal) and actual throttle(at the TB). The computer decides how much actual throttle to give with traction control and so forth. So I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. With this nitrous kit, you have to disable traction control before activating it, so it makes sense then to get the signal off the pedal because it and the TB should be a 1:1 ratio(like having a WOT switch physically at the pedal). People might also argue it makes sense at the TB in this case - but I don't know if that signal is what the progressive controller is looking for. Hope that made sense.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
Great info!
Thanks
Old 08-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
BDPhoto519

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. On a related note...

How do you like the kit, does it just work well right away with no issues. Thinking about going this route, but I dont see to many setups running n2o on our cars. And especially not much info on the kits and installing them and how well they workout.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
jorgesvlog

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet SS
I have a video series for installing the whole nitrous system complete with standalone and i used a NOS mini 2 controller. I walk through the settings and where to get tach signal from

Look up Jorge loves Speed on Youtube and you can find my Nitrous Install series.
jorgesvlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgesvlog View Post
I have a video series for installing the whole nitrous system complete with standalone and i used a NOS mini 2 controller. I walk through the settings and where to get tach signal from

Look up Jorge loves Speed on Youtube and you can find my Nitrous Install series.
Thank you Sir
Old 08-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
ud03803

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDPhoto519 View Post
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. On a related note...

How do you like the kit, does it just work well right away with no issues. Thinking about going this route, but I dont see to many setups running n2o on our cars. And especially not much info on the kits and installing them and how well they workout.
So far so good. Once I got the settings correct lol. First it wouldn't activate because I didn't calibrate the TPS. Then it wouldn't active because I had no tach signal. I was beating my head against a wall when a friend called and gave me some tips. Once both those were straightened out, I started with a 75whp shot to be safe. With my setup and running pump E85(about 78%) I multiplied the fuel jet for gas by 1.28. So in the case of the 75 it called for a .023 jet for gas. Do the math and you get 0.029. I had a .030 available so I went with that(better to be a little rich than a lot lean!). I bought several jets from Holley. Once everything logged clean, I went up to the 100whp shot. For me it was Nitrous -.050 E85-.044.

As far as how it behaves - Per the instructions, I have the fuel coming in right away with the Nitrous coming in over 0.5 seconds to take into account fuel pressure dip at activation. It comes on strong and pulls like there's no end in sight. I LOVE it! At the "track", a 593whp vortech coyote that I had been a tie with NA, I gapped him by 3 cars in 2 gears.

I plan to do a write-up of the electrical install of this kit since Holley was vague at best in several areas.

Quote:

Thanks man! I'll check that out.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
ud03803

Quote:

Checked out your vids - awesome info man. Can I ask a couple of questions? It looked like you were doing a lot of launching in Tour mode. Is that any better or worse than track mode? Also, I saw you had C16 fuel cell. I am currently running a 100 shot on the E85. At what shot is C16 recommended? That fuel safety shut off really saved your motor!
Old 08-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
jorgesvlog

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ud03803 View Post
Checked out your vids - awesome info man. Can I ask a couple of questions? It looked like you were doing a lot of launching in Tour mode. Is that any better or worse than track mode? Also, I saw you had C16 fuel cell. I am currently running a 100 shot on the E85. At what shot is C16 recommended? That fuel safety shut off really saved your motor!
So for the 2019 10 speed trans my tuner has said that tour is the mode to run in.

As for the c16 i would personally say i recommend it at any level, but it should be fine to run 100 shot on e85 as long as the e85 is close to 85% and you are logging your afr. different e percent will throw off the afr bc the jet size doesnt change. C16 is higher octane and should be even safer than e85 but if you are running a 150 or higher i would highly recommend a stand alone to at minimum use a c16 or something like ms109 which will keep your afr consistent.

And yes if you do the standalone you need the fuel safety shutoff switch!!
jorgesvlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #12
ud03803

Quote:
So for the 2019 10 speed trans my tuner has said that tour is the mode to run in.

As for the c16 i would personally say i recommend it at any level, but it should be fine to run 100 shot on e85 as long as the e85 is close to 85% and you are logging your afr. different e percent will throw off the afr bc the jet size doesnt change. C16 is higher octane and should be even safer than e85 but if you are running a 150 or higher i would highly recommend a stand alone to at minimum use a c16 or something like ms109 which will keep your afr consistent.

And yes if you do the standalone you need the fuel safety shutoff switch!!
Thanks for the great info! My E at the pump is around 78%. I do run the fuel jet a little fat just in case. I have an AFR gauge on the way. I don't plan to go more than 100 unless I build the bottom end.