Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Mavericka70

Drives: '17 1ss m6
Cam swap without removing the engine or opening the AC system.

I saw some people asking if it was possible to do a cam swap without pulling the engine or opening up the ac lines, and never saw any definite answers to that question. I just wanted to point out that it is possible, because I just did it. After removing the radiator, you can lower the condensor without disconnecting any of the lines, giving a very clear shot at the cam.
Overall, this swap wasnt all that bad. If you're patient with all the plastic clips and shrouds on the front end, I don't see any reason to pull the engine for a cam swap. I'm almost done, and I think I'll have about 22 hours of labor in it(including valve springs, trunnion upgrade, etc). I'd be happy to answer any questions, and I hope this helps someone who is on edge about doing this like I was.
Attached Images

Mavericka70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Same thing on the 4th-Gen cam swaps. Pull fans & radiator, twist the condenser out of the way with the compressor hoses still attached. Thanks for the info.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericka70 View Post
I saw some people asking if it was possible to do a cam swap without pulling the engine or opening up the ac lines, and never saw any definite answers to that question. I just wanted to point out that it is possible, because I just did it. After removing the radiator, you can lower the condensor without disconnecting any of the lines, giving a very clear shot at the cam.
Overall, this swap wasnt all that bad. If you're patient with all the plastic clips and shrouds on the front end, I don't see any reason to pull the engine for a cam swap. I'm almost done, and I think I'll have about 22 hours of labor in it(including valve springs, trunnion upgrade, etc). I'd be happy to answer any questions, and I hope this helps someone who is on edge about doing this like I was.

I could NOT get my chain off, even after pinning the tensioner and unbolting the oil pump for more room. Maybe I should have used a little more muscle. Don't know. The Oilpan drop added say 1 hour off, 1 hour on.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Mavericka70

Drives: '17 1ss m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I could NOT get my chain off, even after pinning the tensioner and unbolting the oil pump for more room. Maybe I should have used a little more muscle. Don't know. The Oilpan drop added say 1 hour off, 1 hour on.
It was tricky. What finally did it for me was loosening the oil pump just a little more and then rolling it off the back of the pulley with a screwdriver.
Mavericka70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
oldman

OMG.. I was trying to roll it forward, backward would work.

Here would have been my guide to make sure it went back on TDC
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
oldman

Name:  tdc engine.png
Views: 2856
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  front tdc.jpg
Views: 2963
Size:  293.2 KB
Quote:
It was tricky. What finally did it for me was loosening the oil pump just a little more and then rolling it off the back of the pulley with a screwdriver.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Darn i wish someone in Florida would do this... it would save massively on the cam labor.
I would love to try it myself but never opened up an engine this way to feel comfortable enough to do it alone
Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
Thanks for the post. Glad it can be done Gen IV style. Done many of those.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
This is how my shop did it on my car last September. However, getting the radiator out can be a bit of a PITA.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Time is money. Fastest is to pull it.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Time is money. Fastest is to pull it.
While this is true. With the simple word engine pull increments labor by 1.5K
Old 05-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #12
oldman

more like dropping the engine and trans is reasonably quick. Still I found no issue so far even dropping the pan was a hour job... big deal.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
How did you get the radiator completely out? I'm assuming the radiator has to completely come out while the condenser stays in with the freon hoses attached. Looks like the circular clips have to come out but then do I have to pull the horizontal cooler too in front? The radiator and condenser both move together and seem like they want to come out enough so they jiggle around but won't. Does the radiator end up pulling straight up?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #14
oldman

You gotta pull the front clip, the radiator has a few hoses and two mounts the come off from the top, AFAIK, there is no need to touch the side radiators, they all join to the main radiator via lower hose and that is out of the way.

I pulled my condenser cause it is easy to evacuate and recharge, but mine is a 2016, the with R134a, the new R1234 is like $100 a pound (I paid $100 for a 30 lbs bottle or R134a 20 years ago from Costco). I would be cautious flexing the fan. BTW you can just refill any year with R134a.