Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I'm interested to see a non-NPP cutaway as well. I wish the exhaust was constructed of a high quality stainless steel instead of steel w/ aluminized coating. It doesn't seem like the $1200 axle back exhaust would have any performance advantage over the NPP.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Thanks for posting the high quality pics. I guess that's why it has to be so big to reduce back pressure
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:34 AM   #17
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-vette View Post
Thanks for posting the high quality pics. I guess that's why it has to be so big to reduce back pressure
NP. It is also 2 separate mufflers in one that also helps with aerodynamics.
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #18
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
TTT so people can see
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #19
reeper

Drives: 2010 HD D/A, 2015 Z06, 2016 2SS
Looking at this I don't know why I would do anything except cat-deletes
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
BMR Suspension (Pretty much everything)
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Lolly-pop red rotors by Madison Powder Coating
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #20
Juliannnt

Drives: Mosaic Black on Black. 2017 M6 2SS.
Wait so there is no actual muffler in that giant suitcase?
Juliannnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliannnt View Post
Wait so there is no actual muffler in that giant suitcase?
the giant suitcase IS the muffler
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #22
LSmith353

Drives: 2015 Ultimate Track SS
Quote:
Now, of course all of my speculation is based on experience with several different exhaust systems, as well as knowledge about fluid dynamics, so I could be completely wrong. And, if they were to fill the empty spaces in the muffler with rockwool or fiberglass (often used to increase sound dampening capabilities) my opinion might be a bit different.
Do you not think there may be some sort of sound dampening material in the center section?
2010 2SS/RS M6 -- SOLD
LSmith353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 AM   #23
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
There is no glass packing in this muffler which is why the sound is so blatty and raspy. Would sound more tuned deeper and smoother if it had glass packing in it.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:38 AM   #24
Danger731

Drives: 02 Z/28 04 C5 00/07 Silverado
It does not have the low drone of a Loudmouth which can get brutal , definitely "pops""!
2014 CTS4

Sold:
2004 Vette
2002 Z/28
1998 Z/28
1995 Z/28
Danger731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #25
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
If those chambers were packed with fiber glass, you would get a deeper smoother sound with no rasp and pops.. May effect performance though a little.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #26
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
If those chambers were packed with fiber glass, you would get a deeper smoother sound with no rasp and pops.. May effect performance though a little.
You can get the same effect by going with resonated axlebacks, like the ones I currently have. If I were to replace that crush piping (don't really need to) and my factory X-Pipe (also not really necessary), then it'd get pretty damn loud and raspy.

I get all the pops without all the rasps.

Current: 2020 2SS Camaro, A10, Non-MRC

JLP Axlebacks | American Authority Fuel Door | K&N Performance Air Filter| iKON Motorsports Rear Valance

bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #27
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
There is no glass packing in this muffler which is why the sound is so blatty and raspy. Would sound more tuned deeper and smoother if it had glass packing in it.
I think I remember seeing a Corvette NPP and the Corvette one actually has packing material. In my opinion the Corvette NPP sounds 1000 times better than the Camaro NPP. The Camaro NPP is extremely raspy and too loud. It does sound good at part throttle but when at WOT and high rpms the rasp comes on bad.

I want to go out and buy a stock NPP takeoff and try to open it up and modify it and try to add packing material.

I dropped a socket into my drivers side header when I put my heads and cam on, it ended up cracking my drivers side primary cat and eventually blew the entire drivers side primary cat out. So I gutted my passenger side. I am not kind of regretting it because it made the obnoxious, raspy sound even louder and more pronounced.

I have seen over on the other CTSV forums of someone adding a H pipe right after the collectors and it supposedly eliminates all rasp? I am skeptical but desperate to get rid of these awful sounds.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #28
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I think I remember seeing a Corvette NPP and the Corvette one actually has packing material. In my opinion the Corvette NPP sounds 1000 times better than the Camaro NPP. The Camaro NPP is extremely raspy and too loud. It does sound good at part throttle but when at WOT and high rpms the rasp comes on bad.

I want to go out and buy a stock NPP takeoff and try to open it up and modify it and try to add packing material.

I dropped a socket into my drivers side header when I put my heads and cam on, it ended up cracking my drivers side primary cat and eventually blew the entire drivers side primary cat out. So I gutted my passenger side. I am not kind of regretting it because it made the obnoxious, raspy sound even louder and more pronounced.

I have seen over on the other CTSV forums of someone adding a H pipe right after the collectors and it supposedly eliminates all rasp? I am skeptical but desperate to get rid of these awful sounds.
If I remember correctly, yes, swapping the factory X-pipe with an H-Pipe does replace the raspiness with deep tone (like how the Mustangs do) and takes the noise down a decibel or two in the cabin.

The problem is that it doesn't quiet it nearly as much as the X, and in some cases, I've seen instances where it actually increases drone.

Current: 2020 2SS Camaro, A10, Non-MRC

JLP Axlebacks | American Authority Fuel Door | K&N Performance Air Filter| iKON Motorsports Rear Valance

bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote