Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #15
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
How is off idle blip from the 6k rpm idle. Is it like a cable or just closer to a cable. The Dodge 392 is damn near like a cable.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #16
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Which one has the edge?
That's a tough call, but from all the info I've personally seen, I'd say maybe the Soler one. I wouldn't be surprised though if you installed both back to back, that you could tell a difference. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a feeling it's that close
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #17
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
People are already doing it. And it's making more horsepower than the MSD. And it's $185 versus $1000

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579354
That is super-impressive. He got a rather decent gain over stock. For me though, I think I'd have a challenging time with it on my vert, since I have a strut tower brace from the factory. I'd probably need a custom one (from BMR or something) in order to clear it. And I don't really feel super comfortable leaving it off (with it being a vert) and sacrificing the sub-optimal rigidity it has compared to a coupe. Also, not sure I'd attempt porting it myself (I'd never attempt using my weak Dremel skills on something like that lol), but I think getting it done professionally may yield even higher results than that.

Nonetheless, I'd really like to try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
How is off idle blip from the 6k rpm idle. Is it like a cable or just closer to a cable. The Dodge 392 is damn near like a cable.
I'd say the buck stops there, really. My car is loads more responsive with Mamo's TB, but I feel like I can always tell the difference with a drive-by-wire compared to throttle cable system. I feel like there's always just enough delay for me to notice, lol.

That being said, I've driven the 392 Scat Packs during the 1320 Scat Pack/Hellcat Redeye Widebody media first drive. They are quick responders, yes. They were also great at breaking traction in the highest gears, too.

(Well, the Redeye definitely was. Super sloppy on back-straights.)

Current: 2020 2SS Camaro, A10, Non-MRC

JLP Axlebacks | American Authority Fuel Door | K&N Performance Air Filter| iKON Motorsports Rear Valance

bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:46 AM   #18
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie_thunder View Post
That is super-impressive. He got a rather decent gain over stock. For me though, I think I'd have a challenging time with it on my vert, since I have a strut tower brace from the factory. I'd probably need a custom one (from BMR or something) in order to clear it. And I don't really feel super comfortable leaving it off (with it being a vert) and sacrificing the sub-optimal rigidity it has compared to a coupe. Also, not sure I'd attempt porting it myself (I'd never attempt using my weak Dremel skills on something like that lol), but I think getting it done professionally may yield even higher results than that.

Nonetheless, I'd really like to try this!

Yeah no doubt, that 20RWHP gain was over a ported stock unit, the netted him 12. So Swapping with a non ported stock would be around 30 I would think. I like my warranty though, and this isn't an easy swap back if something goes wrong. That and I don't trust myself to do all that right lolol
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie_thunder View Post
Not sure about the LT2 IMs being an aftermarket option anytime soon. The way Mike Kociba, assistant head engineer at GM, explained it, the LT2 is very purpose-built—as well as the components. Kociba mentioned the only parts that are real carryovers (i.e. compatibility with LT1s) were the cylinder heads (some very slight adjustments), compression and the TB (which is amusingly also a canned 87mm).

The LT2 IM is very tall, and would likely not clear the hood of the sixth-gen. At some point, they had a C7 test mule with the LT2 but had to create a giant hole in the hood to accommodate the top of the engine.

It has already been proven, the LT2 with minor mods will fit under the hood of the 6th gen just fine. Just needs some minor shaving on the bottom side so it will clear the HPFP, and then some tweaking to the lines and electrical connectors.

Once ported and thrown on the car the N/A cars are picking up near 25rwhp.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #20
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
People are already doing it. And it's making more horsepower than the MSD. And it's $185 versus $1000

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579354
People suspected it would make more than the MSD but the dyno testing shows it's slightly less power. For big power builds, MSD will ultimately be the winner. Still, for the money, the LT2 is the real winner so MSD won't be the go to anymore.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #21
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
People suspected it would make more than the MSD but the dyno testing shows it's slightly less power. For big power builds, MSD will ultimately be the winner. Still, for the money, the LT2 is the real winner so MSD won't be the go to anymore.
The ported LT2 made 5 more horsepower and slightly more torque than the MSD in the dyno compare i saw. Granted you have to have it ported. But $185 for the LT2 manifold plus $200 port job is far less than the $1000 MSD.

But i'm sure the ported MSD will flow better than a ported LT2 for big builds.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #22
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
The ported LT2 made 5 more horsepower and slightly more torque than the MSD in the dyno compare i saw. Granted you have to have it ported. But $185 for the LT2 manifold plus $200 port job is far less than the $1000 MSD.

But i'm sure the ported MSD will flow better than a ported LT2 for big builds.
Yes, that's pretty much how it is.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #23
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
The LT2 also makes more power down low than the MSD. Win win period for a daily driver I bet with a ported 95 and ported LT2, the differences would be negligible against the ported MSD, not to mention the huge money difference buys other parts.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote