Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-28-2020, 12:30 AM   #1
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
$5k for 10 HP gain.

They spent $5k for about 10hp gain.😆🤣😁
Save your money and just drive stock other than headers, ported TB and such. But I kind of feel those guys didn't know WTF they were doing.🤪

https://www.dragzine.com/features/po...5000-bolt-ons/
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:39 AM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
But I kind of feel those guys didn't know WTF they were doing.🤪
i'm sure that diablo tuner was a game changer.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:25 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
They spent $5k for about 10hp gain.😆🤣😁
Save your money and just drive stock other than headers, ported TB and such. But I kind of feel those guys didn't know WTF they were doing.🤪

https://www.dragzine.com/features/po...5000-bolt-ons/
That was an additional 10 hp at the peak (6800 rpm) bigger gains down lower.

"The real story here came after the peak though. While we may have only gained 10 horsepower and 10 lb-ft of torque at peak, out at 6,800 rpm, where we will be shifting the car, the LT1 was up roughly 35 horsepower at the rear wheels, a considerable gain. Since the car will spend more of its time in this area, it’s hard to discount the improvement. On top of that, with the looser torque converter factored in, it’s hard to draw direct parallels to the power improvement, though we were satisfied with what we saw."
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Some of the money they spent went to brake, suspension & tires.

They did note that the first upgrade should be E85 but that was against the rules they were working under
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
Nightfall ss1le

Drives: 2020 A10 ZL1 1LE
That’s pretty misleading imo. You can get 70-80 RWHP for less than that. I’ll have $4100 into mine after Pray gets it Friday & should pick up 70+ based on others with similar mods.
Nightfall ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It's not tuned right for starters. 12.1 afr is too rich for NA. Should be in the 12.8-13.0 range. Second the drag radials are costing power on the dyno. Third, The converter would only cost power if it is not locked on the Dyno. Most good aftermarket converters I have seen will lock in 4th gear and higher.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
people who spend 5k on their car are routinely satisfied with their purchases ...despite little to no evidence of tangible improvements or evidence of real drawbacks.

Nobody wants to say they just wasted 5k
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
A lot of money for a 10 hp gain! Seems to me it was a waste of money but it was their money to spend on whatever they wanted!
Old 07-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
Bohanan23

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Good parts mixed with shitty tune.
Bohanan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
10 hp for long tube headers and msd intake has to be the tune. Typically the LT headers are worth 20-25hp alone, not to mention the MSD intake.
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
cellsafemode

if the exhaust is not holding the car back stock... and given it's performance stock, it probably isn't. then adding headers isn't going to do a great deal.

If the stock intake can breath plenty ....then making it flow a tiny bit easier isn't going to make a big difference.

Tuning isn't going to magically make that different.

These are expensive things that used to really matter when the factory part was garbage or leftover parts not really designed for the car but good enough. The reality is, the factory camaro is not a garbage car and isn't built with garbage parts like most of the cars people have traditionally grown up with and done these various standard mods to.

you've already paid for 90% of the benefit of these kinds of mods when you bought the car. You're double paying for that remaining 10% and it's kinda stupid. Unless money doesn't matter to you.

and yes, it's their money to spend how they want, but when what they want is more performance and they only get single digit % improvements for 5k ... they objectively failed.

If they did it to make their car look prettier when they popped the hood ...that would be a different story. And that's basically the mantra for modding current gen camaro's and such cars. " I wanted a different sound, different look" subjective things you can't really say they were stupid for spending obscene amounts of money on replacement parts for. Because we all know, at the level the car is at when it comes to power ....the only way to make a real improvement is forced induction or different fuel type. Everything else is what people do who can't bring themselves to dropping the cash on that in one go.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #12
Nightfall ss1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
people who spend 5k on their car are routinely satisfied with their purchases ...despite little to no evidence of tangible improvements or evidence of real drawbacks.

Nobody wants to say they just wasted 5k
Tell that to the numerous members that have bolt-on Pray cars. It doesn’t take that much to see significant gains on an LT1 if you have the right shop working on it.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
cellsafemode

Pretty sure they change the fuel when showcasing that flex fuel bolton kit/setup.

So not really comparable to normal bolton performance comparisons to stock, since most of the difference comes from running high alcohol fuel, not in the particular bolton replacements.

And even if you trust Pray's testing methodology, he says his preferred cai and dry filter combo is good for 10-14hp vs stock (I assume) and that amounts to an improvement (at wot) of 2.5% assuming just 400hp stock - which is conservative.
Then again, he says oiled version of the filter performed noticeably worse, which doesn't make any sense at all since an oiled filter would have less material and flow better while clean than a dry filter that has to have more material to filter at even the reduced filtration levels that gauze and foam filter perform at vs paper. So while i have no doubt switching to alcohol will get you big gains... i do doubt the conclusions pray comes to when reading their own test data and I'd very much doubt anything in the single digit % differences in a dyno result as being well within the realm of noise
Old 07-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
Nightfall ss1le

I agree that a lot of it is e85 gains and a few HP difference is within the noise. I just don’t agree one bit you can spend $5K with no tangible improvements and less than 1/2 the gains will be from e85. It’s definitely the best bang for your buck mod but 10-20+ HP here and there for other mods adds up & it’s not that pricey. I added it up wrong earlier & I’ll have $4K total invested for catless headers, PP IM/TB, flex fuel & a rotofab. I get it if it’s not worth it to you but acting like there’s not gains to be had is completely false.