Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Best handling 6th gen Camaro:
SS1LE 45 73.77%
ZL1 16 26.23%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2020, 11:18 PM   #57
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Show up, make a few posts, people already mad at me...I still got it. LOL!! Don't mind me tho. I don't have much time for back and forth anymore. I was just dropping in to add to the discussion. I'll swing back around soon. Got a big weekend planned on the motorcycles starting...now, lol!! Going for a midnight ride. See you guys around.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #58
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I have a built sleeved B20 VTEC in my Integra Type R.. about 275 HP NA at 9000 RPM car weighs in at about 2500 lbs with A/C.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #59
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
WTF is up with all the hostility and animosity here? Did I miss something while I been gone? Is something amiss? I wasn't even challenging you bro. I was just freakin asking for the links so I could see what info you were referring to and to know which tests you were comparing. And so OP can have the info he is looking for. You guys need to calm down a bit. Geez.
Take it easy man, no hostility here.. I even put an emoji and "lol"... Blaq come on man, you tougher than this lol
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #60
oldman

The concept is called toss-ability, been around since I was a boy, some cars are more tossable. My Integra Type R was tossable day one with OEM tires, my Omni GLH-S was tossable day one with OEM tires. My two Challengers sucked and only became marginal with lots of tire and suspension work both were supercharged one a V6, one a V8. Their lateral grip and transient response got way better but bulk was never really undercontrol. The 3800 lbs (v6) with suspension was actually kind of fun but when you been in a built Type R for 20 something years it gets hard to get use to such mass.

The Miata while tossable just does NOT have the HP to get my blood flowing. Maybe with the supercharger I'd be thinking maybe, but then the Supra 4 banger is out I'd probably just get that. My NA SS with PS4 FBO was very tossable, would luv the 1LE. I knew that if I got into the suspension I would toss off the magnaride anyway plus the 1LE was not out in late 2015 very eary 2016 time frame. I don't know how much more real world street driving the eLSD adds. I just know my 3600 lbs 1SS M6 is a very tossable car... brings a shiznett face grin and the factory dynamic balance is very good. One day I'll do suspension, at my age don't know if I'll do DSSV (factory ones are too stiff IMO). I could see a linear single adjust koni and 1LE springs and sways.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436603
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 08-02-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #61
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
All the 1LE needs is basic bolt ons and a tune to really wake it up. An extra 50-60 rwhp and torque makes a huge difference.
I would also say a 1SS with FBO, and 1LE equivalent suspension and tires would also make a really great street GT performance ahem sports car. The chassis is just that good.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #62
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Agreed, many factors like feel and preferances outside of performance certainly factor into some people's purchases. Same reason people were willing to pay more for a slightly slower gt350 (also around a track) when the ss 1le came out in 2017
Yep I would say for most people all out performance/stats isn't the end all be all. Look at the amount of people that will choose a stick over an auto and not care that the auto is faster.

I think that kind of thought process goes into any hobby.

I know its not apples to apples but when I go to the range my .44 puts the biggest smile on my face despite the fact its heavy, I am inaccurate with it, it's expensive to feed
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #63
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yep I would say for most people all out performance/stats isn't the end all be all. Look at the amount of people that will choose a stick over an auto and not care that the auto is faster.

I think that kind of thought process goes into any hobby.

I know its not apples to apples but when I go to the range my .44 puts the biggest smile on my face despite the fact its heavy, I am inaccurate with it, it's expensive to feed
That's a pretty good comparison actually. Some of my favorites to shoot are by no means my actual easy to use shtf guns.

And yea on the stick vs auto debate, shoot that's damn near sacred right there. I know there's a lot of back and forth here between the Chevy Ford and mopar boys, but I'll always stand with my stick gm, Ford, and mopar guys vs any preferred brand of automatics lol. Plus honestly most people roll race now days and the sticks can hang pretty decently there and you don't have to worry about trans tuning and crap when you mod. Just make sure you do your part.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #64
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Plus honestly most people roll race now days and the sticks can hang pretty decently there and you don't have to worry about trans tuning and crap when you mod. Just make sure you do your part.
And with skilled NLS shifting, it's just as quick shifting as an auto, IMHO.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #65
oldman

put my near stock M6 into the sub 4.0 and there were guys saying I was driving on jackstands. NLS was the reason and a whole lot of practice. I'm on my 4th set of tires in 18K miles and I don't burn out.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #66
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

The only time that the Camaro won MT's Best driver's cars was on 2014 with the N.A. Camaro Z28, it wasn't the ZL1 that won 1st. place.

And on 2016 on MT Best driver's car, the newest 6th gen "Alpha" chassis Camaro SS1LE (on Summer street tires) secured 4th. place and beated all records set by the 5th gen Z28 on its track cup tires and the ones from the 5th gen ZL1.

From MT:

"The 2017 SS 1LE you see here, all $45,700 of it, just back-handed both of those specialized $60k-$75k Camaros. Thwack! Check this out: 0-60 in 4.0 seconds and the quarter mile in 12.4 (so close), yet 60-0 in just 94 feet (a new Camaro record), 1.09 g of lateral acceleration (record), a 23.3-second figure eight (record), and a 1:37.77 lap time (record). All that on a 200-treadwear Goodyear street tire. And this is only the beginning of the sixth-gen Camaro's iterations"
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 08-05-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #67
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
And on 2016 on MT Best driver's car, the newest 6th gen "Alpha" chassis Camaro SS1LE (on Summer street tires) secured 4th. place and beated all records set by the 5th gen Z28 on its track cup tires and the ones from the 5th gen ZL1.
Not to mention the list of cars it beat in that test.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:42 AM   #68
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
    Not to mention the list of cars it beat in that test.
Per MT, the Camaro SS1LE (on 4th place) was a better driver's car (not necessarily the fastest) compared to:

• Viper ACR
  • Mercedes AMG GTS
  • Audi R8 V10 Plus
  • Acura NSX
  • Jaguar F Type SVR
  • Nissan GTR
  • BMW M4 GTS
  • Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 08-06-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #69
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
GUYS, MR. WHOLE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN PHYSICS AND YOU CAN'T WIN AN ARGUMENT WITH HIM WHEN HE LIVES IN HIS IMAGINARY LAND WITHOUT PHYSICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
No matter what components you change, physics cannot be overcome.

Adding weight to the front reduces handling, therefore the SLE is superior. This is why we see very similar lap times for the ZL1 and SLE on tight technical tracks.

Blaq, honestly your input doesn't belong in this thread because you don't know anything about road course racing.
YES 100% THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
A SS 1LE is basically a ZL1 with a different look and an LT1 instead of an LT4. The brakes are slightly different as is I believe the front springs rate, but this is because GM is compensating/trying to offset as best they can for an extra 200 lbs on the front of the car with the blower and the cooling systems required for it. Same MRC, swaybar setup, (I'm 95% sure they use the same anti-swaybars) same eLSD equipped rearend, and the SS 1LE even uses the ZL1 fuel pump. The SS 1LE and ZL1 share much of the same components so in many ways a SS 1LE is more similar to a ZL1 than a non-1LE SS.

Generally speaking your lighter, N/A cars are your more track focused cars that prioritize handling over all else. Like was already said cars like a 911 GT2 vs GT3, or C7 GS vs Z06, or C6 Z06 Z07 vs C6 ZR1, or GEN5 ZL1 vs Z/28. The N/A car is generally preferred by track and handling enthusiasts even if they're ultimately less capable due to the HP gap. And yes this is intended and claimed by the manufacturers as well. It's because of their balance and manageability. (Also cooling issues are far less likely with N/A cars) You can push them a lot harder without getting into trouble. Trying to muscle a car that will spin it's tires at 75 MPH or in 3rd gear thru turns takes a lot more skill and disciple.

Also none of these N/A cars are slow under acceleration. They're all potential 11 second cars in stock form. C6Z's (and maybe 911 GT3's) have even ran in the 10's bone stock. Now breaking into the 11's with a stock SS 1LE may be a hero run, but for a good driver, on a good surface, in ideal conditions the potential is there. Kind of like a LS1 GEN4 car is a potential 12 second car bone stock, a GEN6 with an LT1 is a potential 11 second car bone stock. My point being that while of course a ZL1 with an extra 195 BHP is a faster car, even a basic LT1/SS is a fairly fast car. (At the very least they make strong power and are quick) People like to act like they're slow and I don't agree. That's not me saying not to mod more power out of them as there's a lot of potential left in them from the factory, I'm just saying that they're pretty strong even stock.

Quote:
LOL, well that was a personal jab. Not that I care what you think.

You obviously are confused or lack comprehension. So let me rephrase it in a way that would be easy for someone like yourself to understand.

If both cars (ZL1 and SLE) had the same suspension and chassis components and stiffness, then yes, regardless of HP and regardless of which car can get around a track faster, the lighter car, or the car without the extra weight on the front, would handle better. Are you following along soo far? Don't wanna lose you.

Now here is where it gets tricky. Stay with me now bud. I said twice in this thread that the SLE and ZL1 DO NOT have the same suspension components. Therefore it is possible that the extra weight on the front of the ZL1 could be neutralized if it has a better suspension and better balance than the SLE. How much better? How much weight? How much balance? Well the only way to know would be to have objective data to show which car actually handles better. Or to measure the Gs. We do not have that data. Therefore all you're doing is speculating that the SLE has to handle better simply because the ZL1 has more weight which is a pretty silly way to look at it since you have no other info.
Oh yeah he never cares what you think when you prove him wrong either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Well, I could afford both and I easily chose an SS 1LE, so there is that. Be careful of blanket statements regarding what other people think and would do.
I drove both and preferred the SS 1LE, simple as that.
Sorry, but your opinion and speculation do not = FACT.
Don't try and tell him you have as much money as he does. FYI he has all of the money!

Quote:
The slight suspension changes are to make up for an inherit disadvantage of zl1's extra weight in the nose. Why you think that may be totally neutralized by the slight changes to spring rate giving the zl1 better suspension and balance, I don't get.

We do have some data on the matter as far as lateral G's go. According to Motortrend the best ss 1le's average skip pad G's are 1.12 vs the zl1's 1.08 (m6) 1.07 (a10). According to C&D the ss 1le pulled 1.11g average on the skip pad to the zl1's 1.07 (m6) 1.04 (a10).

For reference the zl1 1le is capable of as high as 1.17/1.18 later G's.

We also braking data favoring the ss 1le. Braking from 60 to 0 (93 to 97ft) and 70 to 0 (140 to 141ft) in a shorter distance than the zl1 according to both publishers. As well as far less powerful ss 1le putting up a faster figure 8 time than the zl1.

So going off of that we can assume that out of the two cars with nearly identical suspension, the lighter one is the better handling car. It's just physics.

No one is saying that the ss 1le is a better or faster car, ultimately that's subjective to the users needs and most would probably agree that the higher tier zl1 is the better overall car. However as far as just handling and balance go it's just not.
Atta boy Robby!

Quote:
Show up, make a few posts, people already mad at me...I still got it. LOL!! Don't mind me tho. I don't have much time for back and forth anymore. I was just dropping in to add to the discussion. I'll swing back around soon. Got a big weekend planned on the motorcycles starting...now, lol!! Going for a midnight ride. See you guys around.
Cool story bro
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:53 AM   #70
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post

Atta boy Robby!
Gotta call em' like you see em'

Spitting facts lol