#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #29
HavocZL1

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I had the same experience with Onstar the dealer I purchased the car from is 47miles away from my house. I was on a little joy ride when CEL comes on and no power. I wanted Onstar to tow it to the dealer i purchased from but they came out with the same 25 mile BS. The charged me $125 to tow it there. I believe they are not really helpful if your not close to the dealer you want to work with. I think AAA will be a better option. I'm looking into it,because its not worth paying if your for from home.
Exactly - if you're not near home (I was well over 100 miles from home at that point) they can't do anything for you. And because of COVID, a lot of dealerships aren't doing loaners - which was the case for me. So I had to pay $650 out of pocket, after just dropping 62K 5 hours earlier
HavocZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #30
HavocZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
I wonder if the car was poorly prepped and left in transport mode "battery saver mode"? I'm not at all familiar on the effect if one was to do so, just a thought?
Is this a thing?? I've never even heard of it...
Old 07-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #31
HavocZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
How is this (at this point, anyway) even related to a dealership?

Could be water in the fuel
Failed fuel pump
Improper prep

or a myriad of other things. Until the cause of the issue is known, there's no way to link this (or not) to a dealership.
Agreed...I wasn't attributing the failure of the car to the dealer, I was just mentioning how unhelpful they were and didn't care I had this brand new car that just died in the middle of the highway. It was just shitty and dismissive and not great business practice.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #32
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocZL1 View Post
Ha! Small world - It does look pretty sitting there at least. So this dealer (MacMulkin Chevy) basically said they wouldn't even LOOK at the car until next week - which I think is ridiculous. So I made a claim through GM, and they are going to tow it free of charge (finally) to Quirk Chevy in manchester where they will at LEAST be able to get it in tomorrow to start to diagnosis it.

I have been on the phone getting jerked around all day. Misery was NOT the emotion I was expecting after buying this car. I'll keep you guys updated.
I hate MacMulken... Sorry that's where you started this ordeal in terms of what dealer for repair (or at least diagnosis). I know that it's "too late now", but I'm curious where you were in CT at the time it died? I'm guessing that you were on 84 and not 95?

Quote:
Agreed...I wasn't attributing the failure of the car to the dealer, I was just mentioning how unhelpful they were and didn't care I had this brand new car that just died in the middle of the highway. It was just shitty and dismissive and not great business practice.
Oh, I know -you- weren't... Trying to figure out why the other person was.

Believe me when I say that I am not trying to make excuses... I hate dealerships in general. But, one thing that I learned when buying my car about six weeks ago is that dealerships "think" they are amazingly capable when it comes to the world of digital sales and such and COVID has taught the truly smart ones just how much they simply don't know. The rest have turned into even more terrible places to deal with and I think that's what you found with your experience.

Very, very few car dealerships are actually capable of handling sales and support by phone - they have absolutely no idea how to engage customers and rely on in-person tactics to intimidate and strong-arm. That doesn't work over the phone so they feel threatened and won't engage. Add to that how lightly they're staffed and the fact that the people that normally sit on their asses are now responsible for running the place ("inmates running the asylum" comes to mind) and you start to get a sense at just how little genuine help you'll get from most places right now.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #33
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Ha! Small world - It does look pretty sitting there at least. So this dealer (MacMulkin Chevy) basically said they wouldn't even LOOK at the car until next week - which I think is ridiculous. So I made a claim through GM, and they are going to tow it free of charge (finally) to Quirk Chevy in manchester where they will at LEAST be able to get it in tomorrow to start to diagnosis it.

I have been on the phone getting jerked around all day. Misery was NOT the emotion I was expecting after buying this car. I'll keep you guys updated.
Indeed - And it sure is a beauty!! Will be waiting to hear the update...

Quote:
Is this a thing?? I've never even heard of it...
Transport mode / "battery saver mode" is a thing. But I have absolutely no idea if this would be in any way related to your symptoms, just a wild thought, no explanation or experience for thinking it.

Either way, supposedly (never tried it, yet) this is the way to get to the "mode":
Turn on four-way flashers,
Hold foot on brake,
Press and hold start button (15sec?), Vehicle will start/ continue holding until info (on/off) is displayed on driver info cluster/center, then select.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #34
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Mine was left in transport mode when I picked it up. The battery light blinks continuously while in transport mode when the car is running.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #35
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
Mine was left in transport mode when I picked it up. The battery light blinks continuously while in transport mode when the car is running.
Good to know. Thank you
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 08-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #36
HavocZL1

UPDATE***

So they found a code - p2635 (fuel pressure) - Drove the thing 30 miles and couldn't reproduce it. Diagnosed everything and it was perfect. What could have caused this?? Any ideas? Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 08-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #37
driven2exceSS

Quote:
So they found a code - p2635 (fuel pressure) - Drove the thing 30 miles and couldn't reproduce it. Diagnosed everything and it was perfect. What could have caused this?? Any ideas? Anyone ever heard of this?
Hope it does'nt ever happen again! Did you run those questions by them?
Old 08-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #38
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
^^^THIS!

I've driven Lexus and we currently drive an Infiniti QX50 SUV. There's DEFINITELY a difference between the buying experience and the customer service after delivery. And, my Camaro was more expensive than the luxury vehicles!
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #39
HavocZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Hope it does'nt ever happen again! Did you run those questions by them?
I did - and they said there were "too many variables" to try and pinpoint why it happened. So lets hope it was a one time freak thing.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:08 AM   #40
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Before picking the car back up, I would have them double check every ground location. I have read that these fuel pumps are voltage sensitive, so a bad or loose ground could have caused this. And if they don't find it and tighten it, it could easily happen again.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #41
HavocZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Before picking the car back up, I would have them double check every ground location. I have read that these fuel pumps are voltage sensitive, so a bad or loose ground could have caused this. And if they don't find it and tighten it, it could easily happen again.
Ok great, thanks for the heads up. I already picked it up, but when I bring it in for the 500 mile oil change I'll have them check it.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #42
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Great advice!

My last two cars have had this issue. In my M3, the car wouldnt start when it was parked sideways on a hill, I guess this altered the grounding enough to disconnect it. On my Jeep Grand Cherokee the car would do the weirdest things but always something severe, always something different too, and took 3 trips to the dealership for them to realize it was a loose ground. They almost replaced the transmission and ECU before finding what it really was.