#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-30-2020, 04:02 AM   #1
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
V6 Brake Master Cylinder upgrade options

Hi all,

I put the front SS Brembo calipers, rotors, pads and stainless brake lines on my RS. The rear I left stock. I have a little ABS like sudder when doing a long slow like coming off the freeway bit no where else. I'm going to do a flush to try and eliminate it. I know on the 5th gen you could upgrade to the ZL1 master cylinder for a solid boost in braking. Are the 6th Gena the same? ie- can I put an SS or a ZL1 master cylinder in my 16 RS (v6)?

Any info or links if this has been covered would be much appreciated.
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Master cylinder is the same for all 6th gen Camaros. Brake booster is different part number but not sure what the difference is so it could be that depending on your symptoms. The GM part number for booster used for the SS / SS 1LE / ZL1 brakes is 23337124.

Can you elaborate on "a little ABS like shudder?" Like there's vibration in the pedal and/or steering wheel? Can feel the car shuddering? I don't think bleeding the system further would help anything unless the pedal is still soft/mushy from switching the brakes.

Just spit-balling a couple of ideas, it could be things like:
  • Uneven/hot spot rotors if feeling in both the steering wheel and pedal
  • Brake booster being insufficient if just feeling it in the pedal
  • Trans/driveline shudder if feeling the whole car shake. Changing front brakes like that changes brake balance and engine brake loading through the driveline. Since it looks like you have a different diff and custom tuning per your signature, there's a change the change in brake balance is upsetting something there and getting into a shuddering situation.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
NowaChevyGuy

It's hard to explain but it's mostly in the pedal. Feels like the ABS system is just kicking in where it's hard brakes off brake hard brake soft brake etc. No shutter in the drive line or the car. I just got new rotors and pads and for it today. I had z26 pads and rotors already but when I went to install them couldn't find the pads and found out the rotors were the wrong kind so just installed the stock Brembo units that came from the guy I bought the SS brakes from. Thanks for the info that's going to help a ton on ordering. So do you think I can run the ZL1 brake booster in there? Or is that what I'm supposed to be running and I have my nomenclature run by calling at the master cylinder?
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
Old 05-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

To make sure I'm understanding correctly, you're getting a pulsing in the brake pedal when doing light braking from higher speeds, right?

If that's the case any you're not getting anything significant in the steering wheel or the car itself shuddering then I'd guess it's one of two things:

1) The stock parts you got used, specifically the rotors, could have some slight warping that's enough to pulse the pedal but not enough to actually give steering feedback.

2) The brake booster you have can't keep up with the volume of fluid needed to use Brembo fixed calipers so it flutters between giving you pedal assist and not giving you assist that makes the pedal feel like it's pulsing.

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with the brake boosters enough to know if the second one is a realistic scenraio or not, but the premise seems feasible. All the Camaros with Brembo brakes come with a different brake booster than the Camaros that have floating calipers on the front, so maybe that's why?

As for the master cylinder vs booster, the master cylinder is the part that when you push on the brake pedal you're really pushing on a plunger and puts pressure on the brake fluid. It's the silver tube looking thing that the brake fluid reservoir and the brake lines attach to underneath the hood.
The booster is the large black round thing that the master cylinder is bolted to. It stores a vacuum from the engine and makes the pedal easier to push. If for some reason your booster can't keep up with the new brakes, that could possibly make the pedal cycle between feeling firm and soft really quickly like ABS does.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
NowaChevyGuy

Thanks Alpha! You're the man!

I grabbed some new front rotors and ceramic pads from R1 (this turned into it's own ordeal, lmao). Going to swap those out first. I think you may be right about the stock units not being up to snuff. Hoping to get those done this afternoon. I'll update as soon as I have a test run or two on them.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowaChevyGuy View Post
Thanks Alpha! You're the man!

I grabbed some new front rotors and ceramic pads from R1 (this turned into it's own ordeal, lmao). Going to swap those out first. I think you may be right about the stock units not being up to snuff. Hoping to get those done this afternoon. I'll update as soon as I have a test run or two on them.
Hope that's all it turns out to be! Good luck!
Old 05-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
NowaChevyGuy

That was it. New rotors and pads and the issues are all gone. Stops on a dime now. Thanks so much for all your help. You so ROCK!
Old 05-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #8
Alpha1BC

Awesome, good to hear it was something simple! Glad I could help!