Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
1LEASYE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
PTM Mode Selection Question

I looked through the sticky post for the PTM so this will probably be a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway.

When you go into PTM mode to select which setting you want, how do you actually select the mode you want? I want to put the car in a high mode (Sport 1 and above) and I pressed the Traction Control button once I highlighted the mode I wanted and also pressed the select button on the steering wheel and I noticed on my PDR videos, the PTM mode is not showing up like I've seen for other people so I am assuming I've been running in Wet Mode the whole time.

So again, dumb question, but how is this done? I am going to Charlotte Motor Speedway again for the 3rd time this year on August 16 and I want to make sure I am getting the most I can out of the car this time.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
what I do is:
1. Put the car into track mode
2. Press TC twice to get into PTM mode
3. Select the mode you want
4. Press select on the wheel
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
1LEASYE

I went through the steps you listed in my driveway right before I posted this and did a recorded session through the PDR and it still didn't show anything for PTM when I went through the playback even though I hit the Select button once Sport 1 was highlighted on the dash.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Strange, I just checked and it works on mine. If yours doesn't work you may want to visit the dealer service
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
1LEASYE

I did notice during my second Charlotte Motor Speedway visit where this screen shot was taken from, the car felt a lot more powerful than it did at my last visit there or my run at Sebring a month prior, is it possible that the PTM is working but not just showing up on the PDR? I also noticed I cannot get the track layout to appear on the PDR even though the Track Overlay box is checked in the PDR settings.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I don't ever remember pressing the select button on the steering wheel for any mode selection in PTM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
For the track map, you have to make sure to define the finish line on track, not in the pit lane or grid. If you don't do it on track, you wont get laps or a track map.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I don't ever remember pressing the select button on the steering wheel for any mode selection in PTM.
Same for me. Think of the mode rocker switch as turning into a PTM mode switch once you have switched to track mode and double clicked traction off button. IF AT ANY POINT AFTER THE DOUBLE CLICK YOU PUSH THE TC BUTTON AGAIN, YOU WILL EXIT PTM MODES. Once you double click it will pop up the list of the 5 PTM modes. Scroll to the desired mode and then leave it there. Same as switching normal modes outside of PTM. Eventually the PTM list display will go away and you will see your digital dash again.

At least thats how it works on my 2017 SS 1LE. If it doesn't work like that on your car I would take it to the dealer.

BTW
I have never used the steering wheel select button during this process, so I'm not sure if that is cancelling out the PTM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #9
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEASYE View Post
I did notice during my second Charlotte Motor Speedway visit where this screen shot was taken from, the car felt a lot more powerful than it did at my last visit there or my run at Sebring a month prior, is it possible that the PTM is working but not just showing up on the PDR? I also noticed I cannot get the track layout to appear on the PDR even though the Track Overlay box is checked in the PDR settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
For the track map, you have to make sure to define the finish line on track, not in the pit lane or grid. If you don't do it on track, you wont get laps or a track map.
This, but also be sure you only mark it once. Once its defined at the beginning of your first session you don't need to redefine it for the rest of the track day. As soon as you start your next video it will automatically recognize the previously marked start line.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
OP: a very good question, as the system is not very intuitive and does not confirm what PTM is selected on a dash. I will update my sticky with some more info but in a nutshell:

1. Press Mode Select once to get Drive Mode menu, then select Track. It will highlight on the menu and "Tr" will display on a dash.

2. Now double click TC button. PTM menu should appear. Use Mode Select switch to go up/down to a desired PTM mode. Once it is highlighted you are in it. No further action is required. Steering mounted selectors do nothing for this function btw. The menu will close down by itself in a few seconds.

3. Press paddle to engage Auto Rev Match if desired. Gear numbers will now display in orange vs white. A good thing to check before going out on a track.

4. Press PDR on the Infotainment screen.
If you have already selected a Track overlay, it will stay as such permanently until you change it to another overlay. Then press Start Recording. When first time at a track you will need to press Mark Start/Finish after your first lap. It works with gloves on. Once marked it will work for all subsequent sessions at that track. If you run at another venue and reset the start/finish for it, you will have to do it again when you come back to your previous venue.

Note that sometimes, when you double press TC switch the PTM menu may not come up. At least on my car.
So you may need to press it twice again until ot pops up.

Note when you shut the car down all modes reset back to standard Touring and all nannies (no PTM) and Rev Match deactivates as well.
So this procedure needs to be repeated each time before you head out on track.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #11
1LEASYE

Same for me. Think of the mode rocker switch as turning into a PTM mode switch once you have switched to track mode and double clicked traction off button. IF AT ANY POINT AFTER THE DOUBLE CLICK YOU PUSH THE TC BUTTON AGAIN, YOU WILL EXIT PTM MODES. Once you double click it will pop up the list of the 5 PTM modes. Scroll to the desired mode and then leave it there. Same as switching normal modes outside of PTM. Eventually the PTM list display will go away and you will see your digital dash again.

Quote:
At least thats how it works on my 2017 SS 1LE. If it doesn't work like that on your car I would take it to the dealer.

BTW
I have never used the steering wheel select button during this process, so I'm not sure if that is cancelling out the PTM.
When I first selected Sport 1 in my dash display when all the PTM modes where up, I did just use the Mode button to highlight Sport 1 and I just left Sport 1 highlighted until the PTM went away and went back to my speedometer so I may have done it right, I am still going to have the dealer look at this.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #12
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEASYE View Post
I went through the steps you listed in my driveway right before I posted this and did a recorded session through the PDR and it still didn't show anything for PTM when I went through the playback even though I hit the Select button once Sport 1 was highlighted on the dash.
Once the PTM mode you want is highlighted do NOT press any more switches! Just wait till the menu turns off by itself.

Unless you press start/finish selection on the infotainment screen (when you pass it while on track) the map will NOT be drawn. You need to pass the start/finish for the lap counter to start. So to test it at home you need to complete a "closed circle" run to mimic a race track.

Test it ALL (ptm and vid) engaging everything properly again before you take it to a dealer. IMO.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #13
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Once the PTM mode you want is highlighted do NOT press any more switches! Just wait till the menu turns off by itself.

Unless you press start/finish selection on the infotainment screen (when you pass it while on track) the map will NOT be drawn. You need to pass the start/finish for the lap counter to start. So to test it at home you need to complete a "closed circle" run to mimic a race track.

Test it ALL (ptm and vid) engaging everything properly again before you take it to a dealer. IMO.

I think I have found a decent local place to try out the track overlay on the PDR. Wanted to find a loop of roads where I can run "laps" without upsetting the neighbors, maintain motion with minimal stops/traffic flow, and cover enough distance to make the "track" somewhat interesting.
Not doing it at speed, just normal driving just to check out the overlay function.
But someone watering their garden might wonder why this black car drove past their house a half dozen times in like 10 minutes, that's why I had to find a good loop of roads.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #14
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Don't bother taking it to a dealership, just follow the info others posted above and confirm with PDR playback. It is definitely not the most intuitive system. For setting the start/finish line you can just press the physical radio power button instead of touching the mark finish line button on the touchscreen. I find it easier to quickly find/press at speed. Also disable cruise control completely. If you accidentally tap set/resume during a session with cruise control enabled, all of your PTM/traction control is reset. You can make changes to traction/PTM while the car is moving but not advisable while on track since it is distracting.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote