Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #57
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You see the Camaro in some regards is now even less practical than a mid engine super car.
Two sets of clubs? Check!

What color are you getting?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #58
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
I think the new C8 look hideous. Really bad. No joke.

If anything, it will help Camaro sales. If I wanted a Acura NSX, I'd buy one. With better performance numbers too. The C8 looks like a straight up Acura NSX rip-off. No thanks.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #59
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I don't think it's going to hurt sales as badly for Chevrolet and Ford as it is for Porsche and others. The reason I didn't get a C7 is the lack of practicality. Great car for driving, but not a whole lot else. Cars like the camaro, mustang, supra, etc., have far more usable space. It's not that we are taking passengers everywhere, but we have enough room for stuff, like when I took my side-skirts home in the box they came in by putting down the rear seats. In a lot of cases, the C8 is the "wow" car to bring people into the dealership IMO, but they don't necessarily walk out with it.

But by all accounts, it looks like Chevrolet did their homework. The BMW forum I frequent is just going mad over this (in a mostly good way).

I agree with what you've wrote! I've seen a lot of people on the bimmer forums going over to the Camaro. i owned a bmw 128i for 9 years, and was close to getting a 2 series, but couldn't get the Camaro out of my mind with all the great reviews a comparisons online like the M4 vs SS by motortrend (i think?). I got an opportunity to test drive a M2 and SS 1le back to back, and the SS won me over in a similar way to the motortrend review, although i thought the M2 was a great car!

But the usability of the Camaro was also an obstacle (wish is was a little closer to the bmw 2 series). People treat the back seat like a useless waste of space, but my kids fit back there. In an emergency you can fit people back there, it's not useless. It has a infinitely more usable back seat than a C8!!!

In general, I see the C8 as having a real halo effect to Chevrolet performance cars, perhaps making coupe euro car owners to give a second look at the Camaro.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #60
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
It's becoming a bit more clear why GM either has the Camaro on hiatus, delayed or dropped after 2023. With the C8 priced right in the ZL1, GT350/500, Hellcat range and yet offers something well above any of their performance capabilities, it's going to pull in a lot of those current owners/shoppers. And that's before the C8 gets into performance models and electric hybrid that is certain to come.

We've said for a while the Camaro needs to head downmarket a bit. Its gonna need to offer sporty 2+2 RWD/AWD packaging but priced for the masses. Current LT1 model needs to be where the SS should be priced and may be to top model. There is a market but it's shrinking and Mustang isn't going anywhere.
I don’t believe that the C8 has any bearing on GM’s decision to delay/cancel the Gen7. It’s an acknowledgement that buyers are moving to CUV/SUV and their long term view of electric.

The Alpha1 cars sold poorly (ATS/CTS/Camaro). I believe GM is already committed to Alpha2 CT5/CT4. If those sales tank, they will kill the whole platform and not invest more in the Alpha2 Camaro

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #61
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
With baseline performAce this elevated I can definitely see myself making do with FE1, but if MRC is exclusive to Z51 that will make it a lot harder. Heated/cooled performance seats, PDR, and HUD will make it hard to pass up On 2LT.

Have longed planned to buy a new Camaro this coming spring, but tally up the planned mods and I’m at base C8 MSRP. I’ll happily stick with my beater for another 18-24 months until certified low-mileage C8’s start coming up for sale.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #62
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I agree with what you've wrote! I've seen a lot of people on the bimmer forums going over to the Camaro. i owned a bmw 128i for 9 years, and was close to getting a 2 series, but couldn't get the Camaro out of my mind with all the great reviews a comparisons online like the M4 vs SS by motortrend (i think?). I got an opportunity to test drive a M2 and SS 1le back to back, and the SS won me over in a similar way to the motortrend review, although i thought the M2 was a great car!

But the usability of the Camaro was also an obstacle (wish is was a little closer to the bmw 2 series). People treat the back seat like a useless waste of space, but my kids fit back there. In an emergency you can fit people back there, it's not useless. It has a infinitely more usable back seat than a C8!!!

In general, I see the C8 as having a real halo effect to Chevrolet performance cars, perhaps making coupe euro car owners to give a second look at the Camaro.
Good point

Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #63
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I don't do any true social media so I have somewhat limited exposure besides here, but do attend a couple other forums related to firearms & hunting...both have a couple of threads on the new C8 & there is some chatter of vette owners preferring the traditional front engine platform, along with losing the vette lines & not taking a liking to the C8.

I understand looks are subjective but if a percentage of prospective vette buyers fall into this category that it may be a push for Camaro sales in the SS, ZL1 & 1LE...if GM is indeed looking at canning the Camaro once again & then see an uptick in 2020 plus sales?? Anyway, just got me thinking about the Camaro in general & the total fail by GM after engineering such a wonderful vehicle that outperforms the competition and yet not support it successfully on the backend with any sort of marketing plan & what other members opinions are in regards to future sales for the next 2-3 years & the Gen7's future.
Not when you can buy a kick ass base C8 for less than 60K. But i could be very interested in the LT1 camaro model and maybe with the tuned LT2 490 hp with a 10 speed auto for under 40k
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #64
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
I've been working with a dealer on a 2ss 1le, just waiting to order the updated grill 2020 change.

He just called to let me know he will have a couple of C8s to check out on Tuesday.

If I'm comfortable in it, the Camero is no longer in the running.

My kids are old enough to drive, but truth is no way I'd consider a Camero to haul kids around in.

The corvette only needs to have room for a few long guns and range bags.
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #65
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
Yeah, I thought that 99% was a pretty silly exaggeration myself.

I like the link you provided.

Interesting to me, is how they sold just under 10,000..... but supposedly expect to sell 40,000 of the C8...... That seems like a pretty tall order.

I also found it amusing that your link showed the majority being base models with the 1LT package.
The nearest dealer to me has quit keeping many vette's around, and it probably has to do with how we stocked them about 3 years ago. He kept 5-9 on the lot, and the were always 3LT, and usually Z51. If you wanted a vette, he was ready to take 75 grand from you....... You couldnt find a stripped down version.
My guess is that hurt his sales, so now he quit stocking what wasn't moving.

I bought a base 1Lt v6 camaro manual (2016) loved it, same Time I had a base 1LT 2015 manual stingray, loved it to death, just got a 2019 1LT grandsport manual, love it even more. A base C8 with a DCT will satisfy me also with no problem. I like the lightest, less complicated versions of any performance cars because I am a GM wrench and dont want to worry about stupid useless options to give me trouble. Performance is for me and thats high performance. Just like the thought of the LT1 model Camaro, I love the concept and that it is a sleeper.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #66
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Two sets of clubs? Check!

What color are you getting?
LOL, thanks! It's between my ears right now.

I was struggling to wrap my brain around a mid-engine car. When my wife and I worked on the Corvette it was C5 (her baby) and C6 mostly mine. When C7 was supposed to be mid-engine I could hardly contemplate that. The goal was average transaction price for the C6, around $55,000. And 10 years later they it $59,999.99 (part of me still thinks Mark Reuss meant $70,000 and he slipped up).

I will take a close look and golf club packaging surely helps for me. I think that also helps with the "traditional" C5,6 and 7 buyer as well.

I think as we discover more details, it will be even more amazing that they were able to go mid-engine, get a quantum leap in performance, and still have a car with a remote sense of being a DD. Ever imagine a DD Supercar (near supercar as we need more than 495 HP to achieve true membership in the club - and that IS coming).

For me, it will be a "put retirement off" decision.

Oh, and all Corvettes are RED.

https://www.amazon.com/ALL-CORVETTES...M2Z8X9ZM01C92N

But as my wife likes blue we may need to adjust our hue for salesmanship.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #67
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I don’t believe that the C8 has any bearing on GM’s decision to delay/cancel the Gen7. It’s an acknowledgement that buyers are moving to CUV/SUV and their long term view of electric.

The Alpha1 cars sold poorly (ATS/CTS/Camaro). I believe GM is already committed to Alpha2 CT5/CT4. If those sales tank, they will kill the whole platform and not invest more in the Alpha2 Camaro
Sadly, there is a ring of reality to this.

I'm hoping that the "pause" (let's be hopeful) is simply to look at the mission of the Camaro in the new world order. A stylish coupe that GM admitted compromised many useful attributes for performance is not selling. BUT!!!! can a better coupe win in the long run?

I'm hoping that what I posted back in 2015ish time frame can still come true.

That was, build a great coupe first and then make it a Camaro. As I've stated to much hatred (not sure why) GM gave us the greatest possible Camaro and worried very little about how good a coupe it was. Performance won every single trade off. And for those of you that own one, you experience this every day. But to WIN, and that means the L4 and V6 models, you need to be desirable to a broader audience. So many people on this site forgive visibility, a trunk that won't hold a golf bag with a modern 45" driver and a back seat that many are over joyed will handle their children. Why? Because the performance bargain of the Gen6 is beyond compare. Yes, it's that good. How many posts have you read that have Camaro fans GIDDY over the fact that the Camaro runs with a Corvette? A lot.

I'm hopeful that the greatness of the C8 Corvette leads to a truly dominant Gen7 Camaro. Hopeful. Wishing.

As I always say, time will tell.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #68
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
I think people will realize this C8 is a Corvette when they see full pricing ,right now they are seeing under $60k . Corvettes jump up very quickly in price , a Z51 1Lt to the 3Lt is a huge difference in price .I don't know anyone with a stripped Corvette , actually the few i know personally all have Grandsports with manual trans . I can also tell you they have no interest in this C8 , no manual trans and getting the bugs out is a huge concern for now .
If they keep the packages similar in price figure a 2LT is a $5-6k upgrade and the Z51 package is $5-6k. So, my guess is around $70k or so msrp and if you wait until some of the hype dies down you will see discounts off that. $65k should get you a nicely equipped 2020 Stingray. Remember, they want to sell these in volume. It may look like a supercar but it is still a mass produced car.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #69
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
As long as we are talking future state . . .

Lets not fool ourselves. Nobody wants a CT4/5. Nobody wants an ATS now.
Except for the V which they managed to overprice and under market (just like the Camaro). On another forum it was said that Caddy has sold about 5K ATSVs of all types since the beginning.

My crystal ball says alpha2 cars will be very short-lived. Sad. Mary is all in on EVs.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #70
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
As long as we are talking future state . . .

Lets not fool ourselves. Nobody wants a CT4/5. Nobody wants an ATS now.
Except for the V which they managed to overprice and under market (just like the Camaro). On another forum it was said that Caddy has sold about 5K ATSVs of all types since the beginning.

My crystal ball says alpha2 cars will be very short-lived. Sad. Mary is all in on EVs.
I agree. If I wanted a luxo-performance sedan, the last brand I would look at is Cadillac.. and I'm a GM guy. None of them appeal to me in the slightest bit.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote