Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Borla S-type and ATAK

Looking to do an axle back and maybe X pipe on my otherwise stock 17 SS manual. Been doing a ton of research, probably too much because I can’t make up my mind, so here I am!

I really love the sound of the flowmaster NPP setup but a good local speed shop is really trying to talk me out of it due to drone, quality, and performance reasons.

I feel like the S-type has a deeper tone like the FM setup, where the atak seems a bit high pitched/raspy. My questions are:

Those with the s type, how much louder in track mode is it than the stock NPP?

Those with the ATAK, compared to the stock NPP, how loud is it in stealth? I’d like to quiet it up a little on my street/early morning start.

Finally....does the x pipe make any difference really in either sound or performance? It doesn’t seem worth the cost but I could be wrong.
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Skip the x-pipe unless you're doing a full exhaust.

The S-type has been described as more muscle tone, while the ATAK is higher pitched like you describe. It still has a deep tone to it though.

The ATAK is decently quiet in stealth mode, although it won't matter on startup anyway, since the valves are open and more fuel being dumped to expedite heating up the cats.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:49 AM   #3
97cavy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Skip the x-pipe unless you're doing a full exhaust.

The S-type has been described as more muscle tone, while the ATAK is higher pitched like you describe. It still has a deep tone to it though.

The ATAK is decently quiet in stealth mode, although it won't matter on startup anyway, since the valves are open and more fuel being dumped to expedite heating up the cats.
Thank you! I appreciate the input
Old 08-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
cheeze9878

Drives: 17 camaro ss
If you remember to put it in stealth through the radio before you shut the car off it will start off with valves closed thats how I start my car with the S-type since its in the garage and it echos straight to my neighbors house and their bedroom is directly across from the garage and I start my car at about 4:50 in the morning
cheeze9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:28 AM   #5
97cavy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeze9878 View Post
If you remember to put it in stealth through the radio before you shut the car off it will start off with valves closed thats how I start my car with the S-type since its in the garage and it echos straight to my neighbors house and their bedroom is directly across from the garage and I start my car at about 4:50 in the morning
How much louder would you say the S-type is VS the stock NPP?
Old 08-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #6
Staves

Drives: women crazy
I have S-type and would say just slightly louder. I don’t have NPP but have test driven. S-type sounds fantastic. Not obnoxiously loud by any means but sounds mean.
Staves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
i have the S-type cat back but with the secondary cats deleted so it would be slightly different sounding than your set up will be, it is a little louder than stock at cold start up but tames down within a few seconds to just a little louder than stock. the idle sound is nice and much deeper, it is quiet with absolutely no drone going down the highway@70mph, in fact you wouldn't even know you changed the exhaust. i think the biggest difference is when you get on it, that's when you really know it is there. its a tough decision to make. i was lucky enough to have a buddy locally that has the atac and it sounds good also just in a different way, louder and raspier. my opinion is that the S-type is more old school sounding that is why i picked it and i really like it.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
cheeze9878

Drives: 17 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cavy22 View Post
How much louder would you say the S-type is VS the stock NPP?

For louder I would say the neighbors won't call you names during the day for driving down the street. When you get on it, its loud enough that it makes it worth it but cops won't harass you about it. But the biggest reason to with S-Type is sound you get from it not how loud it is. The sound is 100 times better in my opinion, and like it was said before the ATAK sounds more like a rice burner to me than a muscle car
cheeze9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
97cavy22

Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback to help me make a decision!
Old 08-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
The S-Type on these cars is drool worthy, IMHO, it is the PERFECT exhaust for my needs and what I like.

Refined and not raspy, almost clean, but nice and deep like a muscle car. Also gives a little room in the db level if I chose to do headers or cat delete.

Good luck man, cant go wrong as both are amazing.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Love the sound of the S-Type on my non-NPP.

Don’t regret it one bit.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
lt-fun

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Love the sound of the S-Type on my non-NPP.

Don’t regret it one bit.
Is the car your daily? I LOVE the sound of the S-Type, but I'm not sure if its going to end up annoying me over time (made that mistake on my last car; flowmaster 40s and headers are NOT for a daily, at least not for me). The part where my car is also a non-NPP makes your feedback particularly relevant for me.
lt-fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #13
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt-fun View Post
Is the car your daily? I LOVE the sound of the S-Type, but I'm not sure if its going to end up annoying me over time (made that mistake on my last car; flowmaster 40s and headers are NOT for a daily, at least not for me). The part where my car is also a non-NPP makes your feedback particularly relevant for me.
Yeah, it was my DD. After almost 2yrs of trying to decide which one to buy I got to enjoy it for all of about 500miles.

It had a bark at cold start & then mellowed out. IM me & I can send you a start up vid.

Around town & cruise it had a mellow deep tone & subdued. Get into it in light throttle over 3K RPM & it let you know it was there. WOT it sounded deep & let everyone know it was there & not raspy at all.

If you get annoyed with it hand in your man card & buy a Prius.

Fitment was spot on. Instal took all of a 1/2hr.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 08-19-2020 at 08:40 PM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:48 PM   #14
lt-fun

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Yeah, it was my DD. After almost 2yrs of trying to decide which one to buy I got to enjoy it for all of about 500miles.

It had a bark at cold start & then mellowed out. IM me & I can send you a start up vid.

Around town & cruise it had a mellow deep tone & subdued. Get into it in light throttle over 3K RPM & it let you know it was there. WOT it sounded deep & let everyone know it was there & not raspy at all.

If you get annoyed with it hand in your man card & buy a Prius.

Fitment was spot on. Instal took all of a 1/2hr.
To go ahead and be blunt, having to raise your voice to speak to passengers or dreading long trips because of loud exhaust drone doesn't have shit to do with "man cards", especially when there is little performance benefit. I would be making the purchase for the tone if I do choose to do it(it really does sound great on video, by far my favorite).

Thanks for the honest review.

Btw, what happened after 500 miles?
lt-fun is offline   Reply With Quote