Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Procharger dyno and track results inside

Just figured I would post this for anyone interested in seeing some results that we got testing a procharger on our 16 2SS 8 speed auto.

We installed the Procharger kit we received, which had a few options including the D1 head unit, Race intercooler and Blow Off Valve, and satin black coating option. We used our own spark plugs and custom tuning. Here are the dyno results:

The lowest number graph is stock, the middle was the kit installed the way we received it plus spark plugs and custom tuning, then the highest graph was with the cats deleted, larger air filter, and lash cap on the pump to get a little bit more fuel pressure (fuel pressure dropped a little when we installed the larger filter so we used this to get it back for now).

We put a drag radial on the back and took it to the track this past weekend to test it out, weather was not the best to put up a number (85 and humid) but for +2500 D/A it moved out pretty good, some cooler air and a better 60 foot and it's easy 10's the way it sits. We have a slightly smaller pulley and methanol injection kit just sitting here waiting to get installed, so I don't know if we will have it back out to see what it can do in this form again though. Here is a video of a pass and the corresponding timeslip:

https://youtu.be/NPDVrAnMTAI

Timeslip:

mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Was this run done in 6th? How much boost? And this car still has the basically stock exhaust minus cats correct. Trying to justify 6K for basically 100rw. I guess H/C/boltons would cost about the same in the end though. I really want to throw one of these on mine but was figuring more like 650rw at 10lbs. Do you all plan on maxing out the boltons and running 10lbs of boost or so?
PRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Was this run done in 6th? How much boost? And this car still has the basically stock exhaust minus cats correct. Trying to justify 6K for basically 100rw. I guess H/C/boltons would cost about the same in the end though. I really want to throw one of these on mine but was figuring more like 650rw at 10lbs. Do you all plan on maxing out the boltons and running 10lbs of boost or so?
5th gear, 8.5 psi. Supercharger gained 150 rwhp, not 100 rwhp. Filter, cat delete, lash cap gained another 25 rwhp to clarify. Yes we plan to bring it up to 10-11 psi with the methanol injection next, as previously stated we have the parts in hand and will be installing them soon.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
PRAY

My bad, I was looking at it backwards, used to seeing power first and tq second. I saw 395 to 509 and then 526 after your mods. I see it now. Thanks for clearing that up. Would you skip 1 7/8" headers and go straight to 2" headers or leave that for the PD crowd. Any thoughts of using a boost limiter of any source to pump up the low end since it is an A8. I know you guys do great work and actually run your cars so I am very interested to see where you go with this project. From what I am reading though the fuel system on these cars isn't as good as the C7 and may need a cam lobe and other mods to keep up. The goal for my car is high 9s@140 with losing as little drivability as possible.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Daves1SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
I can't decide if I like these results or not. For me, considering the standard 7 psi kit without the head upgrade, but maybe the stage 2 intercooler and going with their tuning, and everything else on my car being stock, makes me seriously question seeing any more than a 100 rwhp gain and maybe even less than 100 rwtq. But still, for $6k, that's still a good gain. Thank you for posting this info!

Previous:
'12 Mustang GT 6MT (12.47 @ 115.88)
'09 G8 GT (11.86 @ 120.47)
'05 GTO 6MT (slow, lol)
'01 Grand Prix GTP converted to turbo, high 11's
Daves1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
JoshuaHyperblue2ss

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves1SS View Post
I can't decide if I like these results or not. For me, considering the standard 7 psi kit without the head upgrade, but maybe the stage 2 intercooler and going with their tuning, and everything else on my car being stock, makes me seriously question seeing any more than a 100 rwhp gain and maybe even less than 100 rwtq. But still, for $6k, that's still a good gain. Thank you for posting this info!

Yeah I want a bolt on s/c kit that I can beat a stock hellcats if they threw on drag radials. Guess I will wait for. Whipple numbers and 1/4 times.
Aesthetics:
15% 3m Tint all around/phastek full blackout kit
Debaged sides, Tinted inner tail lights, Black Bow Ties, 20 Black 5 spoke rims
JoshuaHyperblue2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaHyperblue2ss View Post
Yeah I want a bolt on s/c kit that I can beat a stock hellcats if they threw on drag radials. Guess I will wait for. Whipple numbers and 1/4 times.
I don't think you are going to see a "bolt-on" kit that tops the Hellcat because the fuel system on a stock SS doesn't support that kind of power. Local shop did a chassis dyno on stock Hellcat and got 660 whp. My car could only manage 560whp on a totally stock set-up before losing fuel pressure. This is why pretty much all of the kits for the LT1 are making around 500-560 whp.

Upgrading the pump in the gas tank is good for about another 100whp and any of the forced induction kits available can easily have pulley-ratio/wastegate adjustment to make 660whp if they are properly tuned. That gets you to a Hellcat power match. The direct injection LT1 uses a two stage pump system because the injectors are operating at a very high pressure to overcome cylinder pressures. To significantly outpower a hellcat you will have to upgrade the camshaft based second stage fuel pump. I don't see any of the kits coming with these parts. You will eventually be able to get an 750+ package from Lingenfelter and some of the other shops that includes these pump upgrades but I don't see a kit ever being readily available that can make that kind of power.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
JoshuaHyperblue2ss

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Well my goal is kit that gets me close to that 600 mark. I was at a dynojet event and the two hellcats I saw dyno just hit 635ishwhp. There was one that made 670ish but with custom tune and some bolt ons We are 1800ft above so maybe difference but was cool day 70 with cool breeze. I was hoping that weight power dif would kick and are cars can hit high 10's the hellcat challenger at my local track on a nice cool evening ran on dr's his best run was 10.91 1/4 125ishmph He claimed he was all stock accept the dr's. I see this kit netted a 125mph with the extras so weight difference helps
Aesthetics:
15% 3m Tint all around/phastek full blackout kit
Debaged sides, Tinted inner tail lights, Black Bow Ties, 20 Black 5 spoke rims

Last edited by JoshuaHyperblue2ss; 07-14-2016 at 12:15 PM.
JoshuaHyperblue2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I don't think you are going to see a "bolt-on" kit that tops the Hellcat because the fuel system on a stock SS doesn't support that kind of power. Local shop did a chassis dyno on stock Hellcat and got 660 whp. My car could only manage 560whp on a totally stock set-up before losing fuel pressure. This is why pretty much all of the kits for the LT1 are making around 500-560 whp.

Upgrading the pump in the gas tank is good for about another 100whp and any of the forced induction kits available can easily have pulley-ratio/wastegate adjustment to make 660whp if they are properly tuned. That gets you to a Hellcat power match. The direct injection LT1 uses a two stage pump system because the injectors are operating at a very high pressure to overcome cylinder pressures. To significantly outpower a hellcat you will have to upgrade the camshaft based second stage fuel pump. I don't see any of the kits coming with these parts. You will eventually be able to get an 750+ package from Lingenfelter and some of the other shops that includes these pump upgrades but I don't see a kit ever being readily available that can make that kind of power.
Do you have a link to a laid out fuel system? Like stated above. My goals are 9's@140+. I have only been dealing with C7's up till now.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
If you hold off just a bit. I bet GM will have a release an ZL1 (LT4) pump. Just like the 5th gen. If GM is happy with the pump at 650 flywheel HP. I bet it will be good for 650-725 RWHP.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #11
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Do you have a link to a laid out fuel system? Like stated above. My goals are 9's@140+. I have only been dealing with C7's up till now.
Hmm, I don't know exactly what you are looking for. All I can say is one of the biggest changes between the Gen5 Camaro LS motor and the Gen6 LT motor is the fuel injection system. The LT motors are pretty much the same in the Corvette and the Camaro, there are a few differences but they are minor. In either case the old LS motors had a port fuel injection system and the LT engine has direct cylinder injection. The secondary fuel pump is just part of the new system that gives the really big push to over 2100psi. Okay, I just found a really good link on the topic that explains everything...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-get-familiar/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcas View Post
If you hold off just a bit. I bet GM will have a release an ZL1 (LT4) pump. Just like the 5th gen. If GM is happy with the pump at 650 flywheel HP. I bet it will be good for 650-725 RWHP.
The LT4 fuel system parts can already be purchased from parts catalogs for the Corvette Z06 or the Cadillac CTS-V. I have been told that they bolt directly into the LT1 (isn't GM awesome) I'm told that the combo of stock LT4 camshaft pump and injectors are good for about 800whp....this is the next update my '16 SS will see. I'll let you know when it is done but to be honest I'm not in a big hurry because my car is pretty awesome the way it is now.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
If LT4 pump setup can go up to 800rwhp. There is no need for a aftermarket set up Unless your doing a full forged rebuild. I'm betting the GM set up will be way more reliable than any aftermarket .
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcas View Post
If LT4 pump setup can go up to 800rwhp. There is no need for a aftermarket set up Unless your doing a full forged rebuild. I'm betting the GM set up will be way more reliable than any aftermarket .
This is exactly what I'm hearing from the builders that have extensive experience with boosing LT motors. Better to go with the LT4 secondary fuel system parts unless you want to get absolutely nuts like 800+. And even then the LT4 block is supposed to be good for 1000 hp. It may be more economical to buy a GM LT4 crate engine rather than building a forged LT1. GM already built the best high pressure fuel system when they set-up the LT4. I must admit that I expect another GM engine upgrade beyond the LT4 whenever the Zora Corvette is finally released. This is going to be the stuff to have whenever the public can get our hands on it.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
PRAY

Sorry, I though I was being clear. I was asking for which pump, injectors, lash cap, cam lobe etc. I am very familiar with the LS motors and I am getting more familiar with the LT motors. Just wondering if there was an easy GM alternative or additions that is an over the counter "bolt in" that has been proven to deliver enough fuel for 750rw. It seems I am reading that the LT4 pump and injectors with a lash cap will do it. I will have to do a cam swap for the power I want to get anyway so the up sized lobe seems like a no brainer. I do think that 650rw should be pretty easy with boltons and boost though but like stated above, we are limited to 560ish rw in these cars unlike the C7's. I have also read that our fuel lines are to small as well. Not sure if there is any truth to that.

Thanks for the link, I am going to give it a read through.

Last edited by PRAY; 07-14-2016 at 08:50 PM.
PRAY is offline   Reply With Quote