Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I have the EE catch can. There is roughly 3 table spoons of oil when I empty every 3000 miles. It’s nice to know that is not going back into the top end of my motor. Especially since it is DI. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it is a nice relatively inexpensive mod that does provide a benefit, long term, to your engine.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #16
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
JTL cheap easy to install, dose the job and looks nice.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #17
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
So I have never head of a catch can before and I honestly had to look it up to see what it was. So do you feel this is a "nice to have" or a "have to have" upgrade? Are they a pretty straight forward install?
Vendors will say it's a "have to have", while people who bought one will say it's a "nice to have".

Personally, I don't believe it to be necessary. I recall someone doing the numbers to see the amount of oil or whatever the catch can captures and the air LT1 ingests. The oil and whatever is very much negligible. Considering this is an NA engine, I am also not as concerned as a turbo DI engine. My opinion though, others may beg to differ.

Installation is pretty straightforward from what I have seen.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #18
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Vendors will say it's a "have to have", while people who bought one will say it's a "nice to have".

Personally, I don't believe it to be necessary. I recall someone doing the numbers to see the amount of oil or whatever the catch can captures and the air LT1 ingests. The oil and whatever is very much negligible. Considering this is an NA engine, I am also not as concerned as a turbo DI engine. My opinion though, others may beg to differ.

Installation is pretty straightforward from what I have seen.

I agree
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #19
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Keeping that oil out of the top end of my motor is
worth a couple hundred bucks and an hour's labor to me. When I took my motor apart at 16k miles, there was a fair amount of buildup on the intake valves. Not sure how long it would take to accumulate enough deposits to noticeably affect airflow, but it would, eventually happen. I'm sure the catch can will not eliminate the build-up, but if has to help
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #20
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i think necessity will vary from car to car. also which oil you use will dictate how bad you need one. the thinner the oil the more need.

there is an "oil water separator" on the car from the factory but i am unsure of its actual ability. all i know about that is i broke off one of the nipples that the pcv line attaches to and had to replace the box. it was a pita bc you can't remove the box without pulling the water pump off the block. dumb.

i was anti catch can until i removed the tb for the first time. at that point it was very clear that the factory stuff isn't doing a damn thing. also read into LSPI or low speed pre ignition, interesting stuff.

good catch cans are catching more than oil.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #21
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
So I have never head of a catch can before and I honestly had to look it up to see what it was. So do you feel this is a "nice to have" or a "have to have" upgrade? Are they a pretty straight forward install?
I am of the belief that I spent a ton of money on the car and plan to keep it for awhile (had a Blazer for 13 years and a Mustang for 11 years). The longer I can keep this car running smooth and efficient the better.

While I do agree with many others that it is a "nice to have" option I am also of the belief that the reason this car and all other cars do not come with one already is because it would be one more thing that a consumer/owner would have to maintain. Everything in today's world is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, if they relied on people to do one more job it wouldn't get done and they'd be held responsible. So, the easy/cheap/quick answer is: don't put one on from the factory even though it serves a purpose.

Along those lines I think that many people go through cars very quickly either lease or trade-in so it is not beneficial to them whatsoever since they will not own the car for any longevity.

Just my three paragraphs of opinion.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #22
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
I am of the belief that I spent a ton of money on the car and plan to keep it for awhile (had a Blazer for 13 years and a Mustang for 11 years). The longer I can keep this car running smooth and efficient the better.

While I do agree with many others that it is a "nice to have" option I am also of the belief that the reason this car and all other cars do not come with one already is because it would be one more thing that a consumer/owner would have to maintain. Everything in today's world is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, if they relied on people to do one more job it wouldn't get done and they'd be held responsible. So, the easy/cheap/quick answer is: don't put one on from the factory even though it serves a purpose.

Along those lines I think that many people go through cars very quickly either lease or trade-in so it is not beneficial to them whatsoever since they will not own the car for any longevity.

I agree with this 100%...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #23
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:

also agree with this statement. Imagine what would happen if someone let an OEM catch can get full. That would be catastrophic to an engine and I could only imagine how many potential lawsuits would arise from it knowing how often people skip oil changes in general. The average consumer could skip an oil change without immediate catastrophic consequences. That same person would not even realize a catch can is overflowing into the intake until that engine develops some potentially devastating issues.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #24
GAFUN

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
If it works so good, why are you selling it "cheap"???

Because I have an extra one and I want to give a forum member
a good deal.
GAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #25
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:

I would agree more if this is a BMW(which, yes, most people lease), but recall that the SS LT1 engines are very similar to the L86 engines, which are used in trucks. From what I have looked up, trucks are kept around for 8 to 9 years, so the engine has to last that. Also, consider that some people haul stuff around in trucks, they also have to hard use of engines as well.

https://www.iseecars.com/how-long-pe...D%20said%20Ly.

The valve coking on the LT1 I have seen on the webs are nothing compared to the BMW or VW valve coking.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #26
kalcott11

Drives: Not a Camaro yet!
How much are you asking for the xtra one?

2000 - 8/17/20
3100 - 8/20/20
3400 - 8/25/20
TPW - 9/7/20
3800 - 9/8/20
BUILT - 9/8/2020
kalcott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #27
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I know you have heard this before, but we still have our open challenge against ANY catchcan design against our E2-X patented design.

You can't judge a "catchcan" by seeing that it traps oil. Even a soda can with 2 fittings will trap as much as most.

And you can find many selling for $hundreds for a few dollars direct from China.

These all if tested will show they traps as little as 15% of what enters them so your still ingesting the majority.

NO other company offers a more effective design than our E2-X and E2 cans period, and we challenge any to test them.

Simple test with no way to play games. Take any can and install it on your engine. From the outlet of the first can connect to the inlet of ours. Run 1000 miles (best to run 2k miles) starting with both cans free of all oil and other gunk. Drain and document in public here what each trapped. We will have trapped as much or more than the first can inline AFTER that can does its best. Then clean both and reverse the order. At the end of this stage of the test you will find mere drops get past our Patented design.

Going further, we provide full time evacuation so at no time is the crankcase allowed to build pressure and vent. Pressure doesn't build to begin with.

That simple. Oil stays cleaner longer, KR is reduced or eliminated. LSPI is greatly reduced, and engine life is substantially extended.

Lot's of data and test results to share if any have not already seen it.

www.Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #28
Blade21

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS
Go with the Mishimoto
'16 Camaro 2SS| GT-30 Cam| Kooks 1 7/8 Headers| Borla X-Pipe Mid| Mishimoto Thermostat| Mishimoto Overflow tank| Mishimoto Oil Catch Can| Diode Side Markers| ZL1 Addons Lift Pads| GM Aluminum Pedals| ROTOFAB Intake - Sound Delete| SEMA grille
Blade21 is offline   Reply With Quote