Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Padge23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE, Riverside Blue
'Racing Brake' rotors do not live up to their name

As much as I try not to be a guinea pig, I'm pretty sure I was in this case. So as a word of warning, I strongly advise against Racing Brake rotors for track use. My front rotors lasted exactly 8 track days and 1,873 total miles (approx 40% track) before structural cracking (see pics). Not what you'd expect from a set of $1,500 rotors from a company named Racing Brake. The company has been radio silent concerning my repeated complaints, and they were very responsive on the front end. I'm left to assume they know their products are inferior and do not stand behind them. Live and learn.

I'm an intermediate level HPDE driver, still running stock GY3 tires and Raybestos ST-43 pads (funny I changed the pads at the same time as the rotors and the pads still have a couple more track days on them).
Attached Images

PDR, CAI intake, Kooks headers & exhaust, AP Racing front big brake kit, DSC Sport RT coil-over kit & suspension controller, G-Force driveshaft, Braile battery, Anderson Composites deck lid, CMS Roll Bar, Schroth ASM Harnesses, BMR rear cradle lock out, ZL1 front lower control arms, SLP rear toe rods, ACS ZL1 Side Skirts, Apex 19x11" wheels.
Padge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Question...

Why did you feel the need to change out your brakes in the first place. The SS 1LE already comes with very stout 6 piston Brembo brakes.

I can see maybe a pad change, but really this car pretty much has racing brakes off the showroom floor.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Question...

Why did you feel the need to change out your brakes in the first place. The SS 1LE already comes with very stout 6 piston Brembo brakes.

I can see maybe a pad change, but really this car pretty much has racing brakes off the showroom floor.
That is beside the point. A brake advertised for track use probably shouldn't have the structural failure OP has shown us. OP, please keep us posted on whether the company tries to engage with you on this.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
Padge23

I was really interested in saving a little rotating weight on the rear rotors by going to a 2 piece, but the rep convinced me to go all four. I know, I know...should have stuck with my initial thought, with the reduced load, the rear rotors still appear to OK (for now at least). Looks like the company has pulled the ability to buy the SS 1LE kit from their website, perhaps based on my complaints.
PDR, CAI intake, Kooks headers & exhaust, AP Racing front big brake kit, DSC Sport RT coil-over kit & suspension controller, G-Force driveshaft, Braile battery, Anderson Composites deck lid, CMS Roll Bar, Schroth ASM Harnesses, BMR rear cradle lock out, ZL1 front lower control arms, SLP rear toe rods, ACS ZL1 Side Skirts, Apex 19x11" wheels.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
Padge23

My original stock rotor rings were in need of replacement as well. Granted these rotors were more expensive, but I was going to be shelling out regardless - so it was a good point, in my mind, to make the switch. Anyway think of me and my motivations what you like, my point in posting was simply to convey a bad experience with a product and a company so hopefully others can avoid the same mistake.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
Idyll
lost between two shores

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Yep, looks like the losers pulled the product for the SS 1LE...

https://racingbrake.com/2523
Old 09-12-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Yes, rotors with holes in them often crack.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
OP, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, a company can name themselves pretty much whatever they wish, or so it seems. I have never seen such design before, with large holes drilled into the slots. Obviously, this would be a big red flag for me, on many levels.

Note, that "racing" doesn't necessarily mean better longevity. Often times (real) race teams run the lightest components they can get away with for a given race.
Most often than not, they will replace these components after a single race. Especially brakes, but not only. Unfortunately, many folks assume that "race" automatically means longer life. Often times that's not the case.

There was a thread recently with badly cracked AP Racing rings, but again, they were smaller than stock. Running smaller discs with pads which put out more heat will always lead to failures sooner. There is no way around it. Not dissing AP Racing as they make top quality stuff (and i had used them for many yrs on my previous car), but one must reset their expectations for lighter components accordingly. Not only regarding disc longevity, but also caliper assemblies, hubs, etc.
Ditto should be considered when running higher torque pads, btw.

Just to add to your warning, a simple "on track excursion" by some amateur, seemingly permits folks to call their products "track tested", or "race", or whatever. For any component. Dont really blame them per se, as they need to eat and effective marketing often decides whether they do, or dont.

If you wish to achieve max longevity, run stock rotor assemblies, which are very beefy, plus stock pads. The latter are very capable on any track and dont put out a lot of heat. This means all components as mentioned above last much longer. I can routinely outbrake club level full on race cars in my stock car. So, as an intermediate level driver, focus on your driver mod first and foremost. And save your money IMHO anyway. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Interesting the slots went all they way thru the rotor to the vanes. I cant remember seeing that before.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
Padge23

This forum is about information on the cars (I think) and I tried to provide some. I'm probably overly sensitive since this was my first substantive post, but I've seen it happen to others as well. I think it is funny that the responses generally take this to the personal level of essentially stating in some form "you are a moron for buying these". I know that, I established that, I made a mistake and I paid the monetary penalty. Based on that mistake I'm simply trying to provide info that may help others in the forum - maybe you never would have made this mistake, if so, you can easily ignore - for any others, aren't you glad you didn't have to pay for this info yourself?

I was trying to upgrade the car, something a lot of folks on this forum try to do, what if these rotors had been the next best thing since sliced bread, lasted forever and dissipated heat like no body's business? Maybe we shouldn't jump on OP's for at least trying to provide useful info, otherwise they may quit posting?

To a similar end, a couple of other mods that I don't think were worth the money were the G-Force aluminum driveshaft and the Anderson Composites rear deck lid. I do not consider these complete failures like the RB rotors, but they were both - how do I say this, "subject to some misleading weight savings information". Yes, I know, I am a moron for these purchases as well, feel free to respond as such if that somehow makes you feel better about yourself. Or, in an effort to save you the trouble - you are a better/smarter person than I, in fact I think you are perfect, now please go forth be happy and spread joy.

TrackClub, I know you always have the best intentions. I completely agree the driver mod is the weakest link in my current set-up, I'm still new to track days, and I absolutely love working on that mod at every opportunity my schedule allows. But hey, I'm also a gear head and my nature is just that I will always try to improve the car side of the equation as well.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
That's a interesting design. I'm surprised it's just not slotted. Anything drilled is a waste. They will crack. Many companies say racing rotors or pads. It dosnt mean anything. I've got shit chineese rotors that burned up in 500 miles that were racing. This wasn't on the Camaro. Stick to reputable brands or if 1le just stay stock. The brakes are great
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padge23 View Post
This forum is about information on the cars (I think) and I tried to provide some. I'm probably overly sensitive since this was my first substantive post, but I've seen it happen to others as well. I think it is funny that the responses generally take this to the personal level of essentially stating in some form "you are a moron for buying these". I know that, I established that, I made a mistake and I paid the monetary penalty. Based on that mistake I'm simply trying to provide info that may help others in the forum - maybe you never would have made this mistake, if so, you can easily ignore - for any others, aren't you glad you didn't have to pay for this info yourself?

I was trying to upgrade the car, something a lot of folks on this forum try to do, what if these rotors had been the next best thing since sliced bread, lasted forever and dissipated heat like no body's business? Maybe we shouldn't jump on OP's for at least trying to provide useful info, otherwise they may quit posting?

To a similar end, a couple of other mods that I don't think were worth the money were the G-Force aluminum driveshaft and the Anderson Composites rear deck lid. I do not consider these complete failures like the RB rotors, but they were both - how do I say this, "subject to some misleading weight savings information". Yes, I know, I am a moron for these purchases as well, feel free to respond as such if that somehow makes you feel better about yourself. Or, in an effort to save you the trouble - you are a better/smarter person than I, in fact I think you are perfect, now please go forth be happy and spread joy.

TrackClub, I know you always have the best intentions. I completely agree the driver mod is the weakest link in my current set-up, I'm still new to track days, and I absolutely love working on that mod at every opportunity my schedule allows. But hey, I'm also a gear head and my nature is just that I will always try to improve the car side of the equation as well.
Well, the path to hell is paved with best intentions - as the saying goes

I did thank you in my very first sentence and to be clear: i think you've done our community a great service by posting about your experience. So kudos to you again, just to make this point clear!

I had tried offering generic comments, not at all pointed at you personally. I very much appreciate that advertising and hype can cause anyone to waste money (been there, done it myself).

I also appreciate, that some folks also get a lot of enjoyment by modding their cars (again, been there, done it myself). To this end, the modding hobby is valid all onto itself. Basically, it all depends on what makes us happy and what our priorities are.

But, if somebody is a truly dedicated track rat, chasing pace as a top priority, then car mods take a different seat relative to a driver development mod. I can tell ya that most folks would absolutely love to mod their cars so they were as well balanced and capable as an SS 1LE out of the box. Of course, stickier tires wil make it go even faster.

I went against a pretty well driven, modded gen 5 ZL1 with about 750hp and NT01s on Friday and the young gun refused to believe i drove a stock SS. His GF simply observed he got spanked by a better driver. And to be fair, he was a very nice guy and we had a good laugh together. I also passed a GT3, a GT3 RS, a C7 Z06 and a C7 ZR1. And a new Lambo (unsure of the model).
So, once again, having a faster car is no quarantee at all that a driver will be able to make it go faster. If a driver can get 95% out of an SS and a Lambo driver can only get 80% out of their car, they will be easy pickings. Nothing about the car here, all about a driver mod. That's why i continue to stress it, if laptimes are a priority.

BTW, that reminded me of me being in the ZL1 driver's shoes,when i refused to believe an old guy who could pass me at will in his stock Stang vs my supercharged one, with full suspension and brake mods - many moons ago. Apparently, i am now "that old guy" lol!

But it all depends on what makes us happy, as that should be our final goal here. Period. Full stop. So, have fun and enjoy it!

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:34 PM   #13
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
That sucks and thanks for posting up. I think the owner at KNS is quite knowledgeable and makes solid recommendations based on what you're trying to accomplish. Of course, different tracks are very different on brakes. I personally will stick with stock rotors and possibly upgrade pads if I do more than one HPDE in a year. I did quite well with my stock 2017 Camaro SS, so this 1LE version is leagues better. I went from a 2015 Mustang GT performance pack with 6 piston Brembos to my 17 SS with 4 piston, and now back to 6 piston. I just adjusted my driving style some and still did quite well and had a blast. At higher levels (like solo), I'm sure it gets much more aggressive. I've been limited to the guys in front of me at every event with PCA, so my brakes haven't been a factor.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #14
Padge23

Thanks to all for the advice, sounds like staying stock is the recommendation and that is good to hear. I'm going a different route however...before I wrote this OP, I ordered the AP Racing BBK for the front with the 390mm rotors. I too have had a very good experience with Ken at KNS and placed the order with him. Perhaps this is more than I need, but these components are all about heat management and there is one particular local track configuration which has "cooked" my front calipers (they are now a much darker shade of red and the "1" in 1LE is a light brown) and I experienced brake fade after about 15 minutes during each session. I've always run with titanium pad shims and SRF fluid (luckily). Anyway, I prefer the extra insurance.