Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Hill Start Assist??

So I stop on a hill at a traffic light.
Knowing the car will roll back as I transition my foot from the brake to the accelerator, I do it quickly and at the same time let out my clutch enough to get going.
Then I notice this message comes up that says Hill Start Assist Activated...huh?
Didn't pay much attention to it and when the light changed I did my usual, but the car ended up stalling and not moving.
Did some searching and this feature is supposed to help with the roll back and you don't need to transition as quickly as in the 60's!

So, is there a way to turn this off?
And when does this thing come on?
As I don't always see it come on.

Oh boy, I need to get use to all this new technology...
Old 03-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
No way to turn it off as far as I know. It holds the brakes harder than I'd like, too, but you just gotta goose it to get it to release the brakes. Luckily it'll hold you on the hill so take your time on the gas and clutch.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
You have to pump the brake a second time. If you just stop, it doesn't activate. And it only holds for a second or two.

The other thing I noticed was that it needs a certain amount of incline to be activated. When I need it to stop the car rolling forward, into a curb say, it doesn't seem to work, you have do it the old-fashioned way.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Mine rarely works (activates at all) although I never heard of the double tap I'll have to try that. If and when I need assistance on a steep hill such as when someone it inches off my rear bumper I'll activate the parking brake it's pretty much the same thing but more reliable.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
You have to pump the brake a second time. If you just stop, it doesn't activate. And it only holds for a second or two.

The other thing I noticed was that it needs a certain amount of incline to be activated. When I need it to stop the car rolling forward, into a curb say, it doesn't seem to work, you have do it the old-fashioned way.
I don't know if I pumped the brake twice or not, but I'll have to see if this works...at worse I guess I need to trust the system.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on this HSA.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I've noticed it activates if you press the brake pedal harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
OVRKLL

Today it happened on an incline and as I came to a stop (clutch pedal depressed) I slowly released the clutch to see if it was activated, and it was. I then depressed the clutch again and placed the trans to neutral.
And that seemed to have turned off the HSA, as it wasn't activated when I started to move again.

So I'm thinking if I come to a stop on a hill, place trans in neutral get off the brakes and back on quickly.

With all that said, if I take my time or move my feet slower the HSA "shouldn't" be a problem.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
Camarentino

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Mine only holds for 3-5 seconds or releases with a throttle blip. I learned the car had HSA 8 months after ownership. I kinda like it though. Some people ride you when stopped on a hill not realizing that you may roll back a bit and this has helped when that happens

KN intake-MBRP cb- 2nd cat deletes- ACS sides- iroc Z spoiler- Eibach Pro- Katech 95TB- MSD Manifold-GM strut bar- Custom tune by Arun Ahuja @ CCPERF.ca

Camarentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post

This is inaccurate.

On a manual, the clutch must be pressed in (whether it a forward gear or neutral), the car must be on at least a 5% uphill grade, and you may need to apply firm pressure on the brake pedal (lightly rolling to a stop and holding with light brake pressure may not be enough to engage the HSA).

You do NOT need to lift your foot and re-apply the brake as described above.

HSA will hold your car for two seconds before it releases. If you release the brake pedal with the clutch out, it will not engage.

If the grade you are on isn't steep enough to engage HSA, then you honestly should be able to drive away on your own with minimal roll-back anyway.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #10
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
This is inaccurate.

On a manual, the clutch must be pressed in (whether it a forward gear or neutral), the car must be on at least a 5% uphill grade, and you may need to apply firm pressure on the brake pedal (lightly rolling to a stop and holding with light brake pressure may not be enough to engage the HSA).

You do NOT need to lift your foot and re-apply the brake as described above.

HSA will hold your car for two seconds before it releases. If you release the brake pedal with the clutch out, it will not engage.

If the grade you are on isn't steep enough to engage HSA, then you honestly should be able to drive away on your own with minimal roll-back anyway.

What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote