Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
What kind of Z do you think they will build?

Halo model style or something inbetween?
I think it has to be halo or they won't do it.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I think it has to be halo or they won't do it.
interesting. I just don't think they can do it NA. Now if they say the hell with that and go LT5 or new TT mid engine vette engine I can see it.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
The Z/28 was never a halo car until it came out in the 5th gen. It doesn't need to be a halo car now.

The best thing they could do is simply ditch the 1LE option for the SS, and re-badge it as the Z/28. Maybe throw in a slightly upgraded tidbits....but that's really what your current Z/28 is...the modern 1LE.

I honestly don't see them putting an LT5 in the 6th gen ZL1. It would piss off too many buyers. I honestly don't see them messing with the heritage either by going with a forced induction motor.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #18

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I like the modified 1LE idea...maybe an optional package of CCBs, rear seat delete,,etc., on top of the 1LE goodies....It would make sense content-wise...

But with the ZL1-1LE and the Z/28 I think they have made their bed at the 'Ring...Unless a N/A engine in a Camaro can best the ZL1-1LE's 'Ring time, we won't see one....and not any rumors of something like that in the works that I know of. Look for Ring spy shots and rumors if a Z/28 is being considered...My $.02
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #19
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
The Z/28 was never a halo car until it came out in the 5th gen. It doesn't need to be a halo car now.

The best thing they could do is simply ditch the 1LE option for the SS, and re-badge it as the Z/28. Maybe throw in a slightly upgraded tidbits....but that's really what your current Z/28 is...the modern 1LE.

I honestly don't see them putting an LT5 in the 6th gen ZL1. It would piss off too many buyers. I honestly don't see them messing with the heritage either by going with a forced induction motor.
The Z/28 there working on "IMO" will be the last all gas motor camaro then will have 1/2 gas 1/2 electric, to your point, it became an all out halo car under there head engineer, And to date he is still there chef engineer for the camaro, so i think will still see a Z/28 with a high revving N.A. motor, what size only time will tell but i still hope to see one more 7.0L, now that's a statement.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #20
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Still lots of time for the Z/28 to come out, last gen the Refresh was in the 5th and 6th year of that gen, with sales so week in the first 3 years of the 6gen GM moved the Refresh up one year, so i am looking for the Z/28 in the last 2 years of the 6th gen.
I'm not sure how you can say that. Sales did not fully equate the reason for a 3 year refresh. That's just the way the car industry is now. Would you also say the Mustang was a poor seller...because it also had a significant refresh after 3 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
It's not going to happen. If anything, the sheer performance of the ZL1-1LE destroyed any chance of it being built...

Add in the fact that the 1LE is essentially a Z28 anyways....and there's no point in building one..
This. I'm sorry to be a Debbie downer, but there is no reason to build a 5th gen like Z/28 this generation. So some of you want an all motor track car. That's great, but please tell me how in any way it makes sense to build what would basically equate to a hotter 1LE, that costs the same as a ZL1 or ZL1-LE with slower lap times?

There is no room in the lineup for a 5th gen like Z/28.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #21
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Does there need to be a reason?

Porsche builds multiple track capable cars, at different price levels and performance levels. I don’t see why GM should limit itself.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #22
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I like the modified 1LE idea...maybe an optional package of CCBs, rear seat delete,,etc., on top of the 1LE goodies....It would make sense content-wise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
This. I'm sorry to be a Debbie downer, but there is no reason to build a 5th gen like Z/28 this generation. So some of you want an all motor track car. That's great, but please tell me how in any way it makes sense to build what would basically equate to a hotter 1LE, that costs the same as a ZL1 or ZL1-LE with slower lap times?

There is no room in the lineup for a 5th gen like Z/28.
Its why I say the 1LE is essentially the current Z/28. The current SS has everything the previous gen 1LE had and then some, standard. The current 1LE has pretty much everything the previous 5th Gen Z/28 had, standard (minus the smaller rims & tires/carbon ceramic rotors & brakes).

The Z/28 has always been a slightly slower car than the SS, which coincidentally, the 1LE is. The Z/28 was always a better road car, which the 1LE is.

Just call it what it is...a Z/28. You could even create a package, ala 1LE or Drag Pak...that current owners could buy to upgrade to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Does there need to be a reason?

Porsche builds multiple track capable cars, at different price levels and performance levels. I don’t see why GM should limit itself.
Well, you're still comparing two different markets however. Porsche's average car price is something like 150k....(not accurate, but you get the point).

GM is never going to see that kind of return on a Camaro, and on top of that, the Corvette is currently getting their focus. I just don't see it happening. Chevy already has 4 different top end cars (SS, 1LE, ZL1, ZL1-1LE)....and you're already between 42k-75k for those cars....
Old 04-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #23
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I still think one is in the plans.

Didn't expect a new model to come out during the refresh.
That’s what she said.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #24
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
I looked at and entertained the idea of buying one when they were $20k off window sticker brand new in the showroom. I can't call that a success story.
Are you defining lack of success by sales performance only? Clearly it's a heck of a performance car.
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #25
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
Are you defining lack of success by sales performance only? Clearly it's a heck of a performance car.
The Z/28 was successful in removing the stigma that the Camaro was a straight line only car. That was big for Camaro.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #26
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
The last Z28 was a total failure for Chevy. It only makes sense.
Well the Z/28 was an amazing failure. Really it was the decision to build a shit ton of 2015 Z/28s that screwed the pooch. The 2014 model year only building 515 was a great idea. They all sold and sold fast. 2015 should have been another low production number year. They could have easily sold another 515 and left it at that.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #27
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I still strongly believe that the 6th Gen Z/28 (if it exists) will share a new engine with one of the Mid engine Vette trims. As has been leaked with cad images and other talk from sources there will most likely be 3 engine options for the mid-engine, a TT-V6 a new N/A V8, and a TT-V8, I think the new N/A V8 they are developing will make it's way to the Z/28 and probably be in the 550-600hp range!

If I'm right here then we will probably see the Z/28 revealed at the same time as the Mid-Engine Vette or just after it.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #28
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
An SS 1LE with an extra 100hp (NA), ZL1 1LE size wheels, tires, and brakes, rear seat delete, lighter flywheel, and more agressive aero, would make a terrific Z. It would cost G.M. $10-12k more to produce than the SS 1LE. To keep costs down stay with the excellent magride, and forego CCB's. Visually, it needs to stand out from other Camaros in the lineup. A more agressive blade spoiler, hood, and other aero bits could accomplish that.

As long as they keep the retail price +/- $60k, it could work. Like someone said above, it needs to be exclusive too, so keep production down to 500 units per year. There would be little R&D/manufacturing costs associated with the build because many of the parts are already sitting on G.M's shelves.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote