Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #29
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Yes, rotors with holes in them often crack.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #30
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padge23 View Post
Thanks TJay74, you ever get down to the North Texas tracks? I know crossing the Red River can be intimidating for Norman folks (other than to go to the Cotton Bowl once a year).

I do, but sadly it is never with the car. Typically it is with the truck or the wifes car. That might change in the future once my 17 SS 1LE sells, the replacement vehicle is going to be either a 19 C7Z A8, 20 ZL1 A10 or a 20/21 C8 Z51,

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #31
Padge23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE, Riverside Blue
In answer to your questions Track Club - I don't have the new kit or pads in hand yet and the pad size comparison is a little difficult give the shapes, but I think it is safe to say that the pads for the AP kit have a little less surface area than the stockers, maybe 10% or so. I would expect, therefore, they will wear a little faster and eat into my pad savings assumption amount.

Also, it looks like HP street pads for the AP kit from the normal manufacturers can be obtained for around $300 and race pads average around $350 (Ferodo's are more expensive), so very comparable to the price of pads for the stock Brembos, but with roughly 50% more pad material thickness (and 10% less surface area).
PDR, CAI intake, Kooks headers & exhaust, AP Racing front big brake kit, DSC Sport RT coil-over kit & suspension controller, G-Force driveshaft, Braile battery, Anderson Composites deck lid, CMS Roll Bar, Schroth ASM Harnesses, BMR rear cradle lock out, ZL1 front lower control arms, SLP rear toe rods, ACS ZL1 Side Skirts, Apex 19x11" wheels.
Padge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #32
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padge23 View Post
In answer to your questions Track Club - I don't have the new kit or pads in hand yet and the pad size comparison is a little difficult give the shapes, but I think it is safe to say that the pads for the AP kit have a little less surface area than the stockers, maybe 10% or so. I would expect, therefore, they will wear a little faster and eat into my pad savings assumption amount.

Also, it looks like HP street pads for the AP kit from the normal manufacturers can be obtained for around $300 and race pads average around $350 (Ferodo's are more expensive), so very comparable to the price of pads for the stock Brembos, but with roughly 50% more pad material thickness (and 10% less surface area).
Got ya! Surprised the pad would be smaller vs stock, but at least the discs are about 5% larger (hopefully with similar thickness). All in all, the kit seems like it will have very similar heat management properties vs stockers. Except for vented pistons hopefully.

50% more pad material for 50% more $ ($300 vs $200 in general terms) should hopefully end up about equal cost wise, without splitting too many hairs

From my experience, my AP kit was a solid choice, but an expensive one to purchase and operate - consumables wise. Yet it certainly didnt make any difference regarding my pace et al. And having pulled a trigger, there was no going back without opening a wallet again. So i just stuck with it.

Anyhow, congrats on the purchase. At least you'll be able to pick from a wide selection of pads, which is key.
Keep effect of heat and importance of its management as a top of mind item and you'll be just fine.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #33
JTRATX

Drives: 17 SS 1LE, 14 Yukon Denali
Had the same experience with my Z28 3 years ago. I killed all 4 rotors in 1 weekend at COTA. Back then no other company made rotor replacements for the ceramics. They actually refunded most of my money for the rotors, it took about a month for the whole process, but I was happy with the outcome.

On my 6th gen 1LE the DBA rotors were junk and crack too. I'm on Girodisc now so we'll see how they fare.
JTRATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #34
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRATX View Post
Had the same experience with my Z28 3 years ago. I killed all 4 rotors in 1 weekend at COTA. Back then no other company made rotor replacements for the ceramics. They actually refunded most of my money for the rotors, it took about a month for the whole process, but I was happy with the outcome.

On my 6th gen 1LE the DBA rotors were junk and crack too. I'm on Girodisc now so we'll see how they fare.
I had used DBAs on my C5Z, but once they moved their production to off shore, i got much less longevity out of them and it was a prime reason why i went to APs.
I have to say, that ive been impressed with stock SS 1LE Brembos. They don't cost all that much (in comparison) and their longevity is superb based on my experience.
I also like the fact that i get a whole new assembly incl hats with each swap. Not all too clear, why folks keep searching for something "better" given their performance.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #35
Padge23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE, Riverside Blue
JTRATX, I'm glad you had a good outcome, I don't think mine will end that way. Perhaps their business is soft due to Covid and are cutting costs to survive, but I am getting absolutely no response from Racing Brake. Anyway, sounds like quality has been a problem for them for a while. Well, they lost me as a future customer for any car I'll ever own and I'm always happy to share my experience with other folks at track days or elsewhere.
PDR, CAI intake, Kooks headers & exhaust, AP Racing front big brake kit, DSC Sport RT coil-over kit & suspension controller, G-Force driveshaft, Braile battery, Anderson Composites deck lid, CMS Roll Bar, Schroth ASM Harnesses, BMR rear cradle lock out, ZL1 front lower control arms, SLP rear toe rods, ACS ZL1 Side Skirts, Apex 19x11" wheels.
Padge23 is offline   Reply With Quote