Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 02-03-2024, 07:23 PM   #15
Pickles

Drives: Audi RS3
Hello Ray, from Aussie.
Yes, a disgraceful performance by your tire shop.
The other point I'd mention is, did they lift, jack up your new ZL1 properly without damaging/markiing any of the undercarriage, pinch welds can easily be damaged.
Tire shops can do damage in so many ways, incorrect lifting, careless, unprofessional use to tire fitting machines, as well as rattle guns can all do damage.
I remember on one occasion I was looking for someone to fit new Pirelli P Zeros to an HSV GTO we owned ( your Aussie built Pontiac GTO! ), & I was recommended to a person with the recommendation, "John will treat your rims like his own",....which He did.
I wish you well for a successful resolution of your issue.
Pickles.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:14 PM   #16
Odabo

Drives: Chevrolet Blazer
FWIW, when I got my car one wheel was damaged, the dealer got it repaired. Took less than 2 hours and afterwards, you could not tell where the original damage spot was. I recommend you have the wheels repaired by the shop your dealer uses.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:32 PM   #17
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Love that they were using your brand new car to train new techs on.

Sorry man. This kind of shit pisses me off.
I removed my wheels and hauled them in to have new tires installed.

with 10M+ new residents we are going to have a lot of rookie lube/ tire installers.
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:34 PM   #18
302crossram

I have seen DT techs lift vehicles from the lower rear shock mounts.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:18 PM   #19
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
with 10M+ new residents we are going to have a lot of rookie lube/ tire installers.[/QUOTE]

They might be going back home next year.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:21 AM   #20
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3768 View Post
WhiteMale:

You know what they say about opinions? I wonder how you would like it resolved if it happened to your ZL1 with 150 miles on it? You'd be cool with a repair? The offer was I take the car to them, the ones who f'd it up in the first place. They remove the wheels and remove the tires/sensors from the wheels. They send the wheels out to a third party for an unspecified amount of time. Then when they get the "repaired" wheels back, the same guys who ruined them in the first place, reinstall the sensors/tires...and probably scratch the crap out of them again. Never mind what they do with the car once the wheels are sent out. They are not clogging up a money making shop bay/lift with it. I'm sure they drop it rotors first on dollys and push it out into the parking lot. Yeah, no thanks. You seem to have a problem with me getting my lawyer involved. I'm all about personal responsibility. The shop is not manning up, they are not taking responsibility for their carelessness. I have professional liability insurance and errors/omissions insurance. If I f'up an MEP design, guess what? My insurance company cuts a check and makes the client whole. I get to pay a higher insurance premium. That simple.

-Ray
I have to agree with the OP, with a BRAND NEW car with only 150 miles on it, I would NOT want "repaired wheels" (that NEVER should have been damaged had some competent people been doing the tire change). I would ABSOLUTELY demand new wheels (hey, the tire shop can keep the old wheels)...

Just this past Fall when my 2020 2SS was 3.75 years old and had about 8,800 miles on it, I finally decided to switch over from my OEM Carbon Flash SS wheels to the MRR 017 1LE Replica wheels (the style I wanted from Day 1), i did a LOT of research and found a "Speed Shop" about 25 minutes away that had a "Touchless Tire Mounting Machine", I called them up and told them my deal (brand new aftermarket wheels with super low mileage used tires from a friend), I told them I don't want a single scuff or "oops" on any of the wheels, even told them I would bring in my own black wheel weights and they said that was fine but they had black weights if I wanted them to use theirs (as that was part of the cost), took the wheel to them, they did a great job, wheels came out looking just like new, tires mounted and balanced perfectly and I sent back $40 worth of random black wheel weights to Amazon... JBASpeedShop.com in San Diego, currently the only place that I'll let touch my car!

There are unfortunately just far too many shitty shops out there and big name places with untrained or undertrained employees that I won't risk taking my car anywhere that I don't absolutely have to, and when I do, I'm doing major research....
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:42 AM   #21
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
You deserve brand new wheels. 👍🏻
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:47 AM   #22
302crossram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
They might be going back home next year.
dominion says hold my beer.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:28 AM   #23
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3768 View Post
You seem to have a problem with me getting my lawyer involved.
Well, good luck and let us know how it goes.
My only problem with the lawyer is cost, but it's not my money.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:00 AM   #24
IndyZrider

Drives: 21 SHOCK ZL1 M6
Happened to me with my brand new Ram dually...dumb mofos ruined 3 of the 4 wheels and the center caps....the last thing I saw before I completely lost it was the center cap that was full of my lug nuts being kicked around painted side down...got 3 new wheels and 4 new center caps....cost them big that day....
Attached Images

IndyZrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:59 AM   #25
302crossram

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyZrider View Post
Happened to me with my brand new Ram dually...dumb mofos ruined 3 of the 4 wheels and the center caps....the last thing I saw before I completely lost it was the center cap that was full of my lug nuts being kicked around painted side down...got 3 new wheels and 4 new center caps....cost them big that day....
that's a hanging offense

true craftsman are extinct
Old 02-05-2024, 06:33 PM   #26
Ray3768

Drives: 1977 Trans Am, 2024 Camaro 2SS
IndyZrider,

Man, I feel you pain. Like, painted side down! That's probably worse than the rocket surgeons that boogered my wheels up. Glad they took care of you.

-Ray
Ray3768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:37 AM   #27
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This advice may help OP and sounds like a reasonable approach.
Now it is a lawyer saying you DON'T NEED A LAWYER, which makes it immediately suspect
https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/c...s--207423.html
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 05:25 PM   #28
Ray3768

Drives: 1977 Trans Am, 2024 Camaro 2SS
ctriz,

He is correct depending upon whatever the small claims threshold is. I'm sure ~$3,600 is within the small claims threshold in NJ but I will verify. I'm still working with my insurance company, USAA, since they insure the car. They may be able to do something, perhaps even submit a claim to their insurance company. That would be free, well not free, I pay them an insurance premium. If they cannot help, I could submit it to small claims court but here In NJ the courts are still backed up from Covid. Funny, my office never got backed up due to Covid...we continued to work...don't get me started. Another option is to use the wheel & tire insurance I bought from the dealer when I purchased the car. I suspect that policy will only pay to repair the wheels but I haven't explored that option yet. At least I have some options.

-Ray
Ray3768 is offline   Reply With Quote