Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 01-16-2024, 01:51 PM   #15
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
People supporting ev's here don't live in cold northern states where temps in the winter can become well below 32 degrees. Lithium batteries do not charge well or not at all below 32. This greatly restricts where ev's are practical.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:05 PM   #16
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Your Tesla experience is not the rule. I have a physician colleague who is not at all satisfied with Tesla and customer service. We are in central PA. He’s also not satisfied with the price as compared to quality of the interior as compared to his other vehicles. To each his own but he has real range anxiety and constantly complains about how charge is depleted at interstate speeds. He’s had customer service issues and said with the exception of Range Rovers, it’s the worse. I’m glad others have better experiences but it’s not the rule for everyone. No vehicle is perfect but I would never want to be stranded in an EV in a winter storm and no charger in site.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:31 PM   #17
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Your Tesla experience is not the rule. I have a physician colleague who is not at all satisfied with Tesla and customer service. We are in central PA. He’s also not satisfied with the price as compared to quality of the interior as compared to his other vehicles. To each his own but he has real range anxiety and constantly complains about how charge is depleted at interstate speeds. He’s had customer service issues and said with the exception of Range Rovers, it’s the worse. I’m glad others have better experiences but it’s not the rule for everyone. No vehicle is perfect but I would never want to be stranded in an EV in a winter storm and no charger in site.
You're right. I have heard bad things about Tesla customer service. Like I mentioned, personally, we've only had to use them 1 time and they were great. However, I wouldnt say that customer service at GM is anything special, either. This is my 7th Chevy going back to 2003, and I've never been impressed by them
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:39 PM   #18
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Where I am, with up to -32°F for weeks at a time I would have range and systems anxiety with the car keeping it and my self alive.
Absolutely correct!
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:08 PM   #19
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
People supporting ev's here don't live in cold northern states where temps in the winter can become well below 32 degrees. Lithium batteries do not charge well or not at all below 32. This greatly restricts where ev's are practical.
You lose some range in the freezing weather, and I can only speak for Tesla, but they heat and cool their batteries for optimal temps. Again, I come back to, if the range of the vehicle is a real world 250-300 miles on a full charge and let's just say its 150-200 miles in 0 degree temps, as long as your round trip commute is less than 150 miles which the overwhelming majority of people are, then you're still in good shape.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:30 PM   #20
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Being qualified to chime in, here, since I have owned both a zl1 and a Tesla for the last 1.5 year -

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much of what you read online is overblown or intentionally made to sound worse than it is because of the anti-EV agenda.

We have had 1 single issue with ours since we've had it. One of the taillights got condensation inside. We contacted tesla thru the app, they were out the next day in our driveway replacing the light for free. That was it. Literally zero other maintainance on this car and we already have 20k miles. It is faster than the zl1 from a dig. I can't pass it until about 80mph or so. It drives very smooth - i'm not getting knocked around everytime I drive over a bump.

The zl1 looks way better. It obviously sounds way better (for those who appreciate that - I know many Tesla owners love the silence, but I want to hear performance cars). The Tesla is much easier to drive fast in real world situations. To me, it feels like the handling is comparable, but I've never had either car on a track or really tried to find the limits on public roads.

When we got the car, we spent $400 to install a wall charger in the garage. We charge it after midnight when rates are the lowest. However, my wife does get free charging at work, so that is a huge plus. We only spend about $100/mo of our own money to power this thing.

So, not to get defensive - I don't personally care if people drive ICE cars or EVs, but being objective, there is no way that one can say ICE cars are "better." Having driven one now for over a year, I actually prefer the way the Tesla drives. When you really get into that community (as annoying as many of the owners are, lol) you also see that most of these cars do not have major problems. Certainly not more than ICE cars do. I've already had the zl1 into the dealer 5 times in the last year - nothing major, but little things that required attention, and an oil change, and a differential fluid service.

EVs are great for some people. ICE cars make more sense for others. Let's stop the hate and just enjoy our cars. I was NEVER an EV fan, but when gas was at $7/gal and we were spending $440/mo on my wife's SUV, we made the switch, and it has been great. Be open minded and you may surprise yourself.
Typical California homer response. The rest of the country doesn't come close to the regulations Cali does for emissions. Was in Texas this past weekend and emissions aren't a thing there. Traveled to Cabo, and nobody i mean nobody had any sort of emissions equipment on any of their vehicles we drove in. Thank goodness California is so concerned about emissions while everyone else isn't as opposed to the deficit we're in. BTW how do you smog that Audi legally Mr. Greenpeace? You sound like you've been reading articles with the pro-EV agenda.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:59 PM   #21
White1SS

Drives: White 2024 1SS M6
Not to mention a ZL1 will be worth something in 10-20 years, a ZL1-1LE much more so. Of course very low mileage garage kept cars will fetch a real premium. Most EV's will essentially be worthless in 10 years, and a financial liability in 15- 20 years. Who would buy a 10 year old EV with the possibility of a 20-30k battery replacement looming ? If you can even get a battery for a 20 year old EV in the future, what will it cost then, and what will it cost to dispose of your toxic old half ton battery ?

I've read that a lot of insurance companies are considering dropping EV's, they are too much of a financial liability. A lot of body shops refuse to work on them as well. The smallest little bump or fender bender with an EV and the insurance company will total the car, they want no parts of possible environmental issues or fires from a damaged battery. Something as simple as going over a speed bump too fast could total your car.
White1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:15 PM   #22
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Was in Texas this past weekend and emissions aren't a thing there.

Not true, even with the upcoming elimination of inspections. It basically changes nothing. All 17 counties listed in that article require emissions testing now.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:31 PM   #23
clg82

Texas version of a smog test is they plug into your OBDII reader and validate that all of the emissions monitors are working appropriately which all can be fudged with using any sort of Tuner program prior to inspection. No visual, no sniffer nothing. Comparing Texas emissions testing with California is comparing apples to oranges. A little research instead of a quick google search will help you in the future. It's literally on the Texas website in black and white "Vehicles produced in 1995 and prior will receive a Two Speed Idle Test while vehicles produced in and after 1996 will be tested via the On-Board Diagnostic test." And that is only in a select small amount of counties. NOT the whole state! I'll help you even further:

The Two-Speed Idle test is for older vehicles that do not possess the on-board diagnostic system that cars today are equipped with.

The OBDII test utilizes a scan tool that plugs directly into the vehicle’s internal computer and analyzes the data to determine whether the emissions system and its related components are working properly. Most often, if your vehicle is experiencing any sort of emissions malfunction, the internal computer will trigger the Check Engine light to come on.

Oh and to add insult to injury with California vs Texas conversation, it costs less than $125.00 to register ANY car in texas, my ZL1 here in Cali $1,000.00....California is the laughing stock of the US.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:53 PM   #24
tenargo57

Quote:
Texas version of a smog test is they plug into your OBDII reader and validate that all of the emissions monitors are working appropriately which all can be fudged with using any sort of Tuner program prior to inspection. No visual, no sniffer nothing. Comparing Texas emissions testing with California is comparing apples to oranges. A little research instead of a quick google search will help you in the future. It's literally on the Texas website in black and white "Vehicles produced in 1995 and prior will receive a Two Speed Idle Test while vehicles produced in and after 1996 will be tested via the On-Board Diagnostic test." And that is only in a select small amount of counties. NOT the whole state! I'll help you even further:

The Two-Speed Idle test is for older vehicles that do not possess the on-board diagnostic system that cars today are equipped with.

The OBDII test utilizes a scan tool that plugs directly into the vehicle’s internal computer and analyzes the data to determine whether the emissions system and its related components are working properly. Most often, if your vehicle is experiencing any sort of emissions malfunction, the internal computer will trigger the Check Engine light to come on.

That's a whole lot of "they don't but they do". We get it, you hate EV's but you're wrong about Texas and you don't live there. I do, and I have to deal with it annually. Considering your entire rant was about California overreaching by requiring testing, being able to cheat it with a tool like HP tuners is irrelevant since I'm still required by law to have it done if I want to register my car.

Quote:
Oh and to add insult to injury with California vs Texas conversation, it costs less than $125.00 to register ANY car in texas, my ZL1 here in Cali $1,000.00....California is the laughing stock of the US.

Add your neighbors NV and AZ to that list because they charge based on vehicle cost too.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:00 PM   #25
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
That's a whole lot of "they don't but they do". We get it, you hate EV's but you're wrong about Texas and you don't live there. I do, and I have to deal with it annually. Considering your entire rant was about California overreaching by requiring testing, being able to cheat it with a tool like HP tuners is irrelevant since I'm still required by law to have it done if I want to register my car.

Add your neighbors NV and AZ to that list because they charge based on vehicle cost too.

You have to deal with a full smog test similar to California in Texas? Visual, sniffer, OBDII read, everything? In a post 1995 year vehicle?

FYI this was taken verbatim off the Texas website.

"Vehicles produced in 1995 and prior will receive a Two Speed Idle Test while vehicles produced in and after 1996 will be tested via the On-Board Diagnostic test."

Starting beginning of March I will be living there, I spoke to the local ordinances when it comes to smog on what does and doesn't fly as far as emissions goes. They literally sent me to the website that i got the bold above from. Where exactly in Texas do you live?
Old 01-16-2024, 05:06 PM   #26
tenargo57

Quote:
You have to deal with a full smog test similar to California in Texas? Visual, sniffer, OBDII read, everything? In a post 1995 year vehicle?

FYI this was taken verbatim off the Texas website.

"Vehicles produced in 1995 and prior will receive a Two Speed Idle Test while vehicles produced in and after 1996 will be tested via the On-Board Diagnostic test."

You're arguing something completely different from your initial statement. You were complaining about California requiring emissions testing and then said it doesn't even exist in Texas. Now you're arguing that the testing methods are different and since you can cheat the tests in Texas that somehow nullifies their existence.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:09 PM   #27
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
You're arguing something completely different from your initial statement. You were complaining about California requiring emissions testing and then said it doesn't even exist in Texas. Now you're arguing that the testing methods are different and since you can cheat the tests in Texas that somehow nullifies their existence.
The state of California as a whole requires them, the state of Texas does NOT. Even if they do, it's not even close to how crazy California is. So if you could please tell me where you live since they do the Visual, sniffer, OBDII read on your car so I make sure not to move there I would appreciate it. I guess the argument is null and void if you drive a 1994 Nissan Maxima and you just like to argue about EVs on a ZL1 forum.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:13 PM   #28
White1SS

Drives: White 2024 1SS M6
Does California charge less for your registration as the car ages and depreciates ?
White1SS is offline   Reply With Quote