Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-17-2024, 05:30 PM   #43
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
What chemistry did the Volt use? It looks like LFP would have been the best choice there if it was available.
I’m pretty certain LFP wasn’t developed fully while Volt was in production. There were “iron batteries” that were used in early super small super low range cars like Th!nk, but those batteries had a lot of serious problems. I often wonder if LFP is a “descendent” of those earlier iron batteries.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 07:15 AM   #44
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Just interested in some of the things you considered when choosing the id4. I read that your company allowed you to lease a vehicle for work so I assume they didn't give you a blank cheque. So given the parameters were laid out by the company how did you narrow it down? Feel free to let us know your budget if you can.

In terms of EVs the Taycan/Etron seem to be the most compelling to drive and the best looking. A model S looks good too but not as good.
The lease was up on my Atlas, so I was given the choice of an Audi Q7 or an ID4. I picked he ID4 to experience an EV with less of a commitment. I did fork out about $500 for home charging. Turns out this is more convenient, but I could have used a local Level 3.

The lease car program we have has Audis and VWs, but you can’t order what you want. They just send out a list every month with cars you can pick from. VPs get to select some more expensive cars (for example I can’t select a Q7) or in some cases I can’t get the higher trim level. My peers at MAN in Europe get to order the car they want AND input includes Ducati.

It’s a good perk and I’ll miss it when I retire.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:24 AM   #45
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
What chemistry did the Volt use? It looks like LFP would have been the best choice there if it was available.

And I just spent a whole mid day driving with a clear wet right lane and a clear tire track/slushed left. I pass a slow right lane Model 3. And the guy gets a bug up his butt, to the left going 10 over, just to chicken out and slow back down in front. The only other intentionally dangerous move I saw yesterday was tailgating. An everyday driver economy EV that defeats conditions doesn't exist yet.

Is your car a 20-80% fast charge? With normal conditions, what is fastest miles per minute recovery? And to what usable range for a next highway stint? If you get a chance to test. I've seen an early Lyriq posted charging video where there was an unexplained dip in the middle of charging at 100-something kW.
Haven’t been on a trip of any length and likely won’t before I have to return the car.

Rate for level 2 at home has been 32 miles per hour of charging. At a Charge Point DC charger I got 24.6 kWh in 27 minutes. At my current 3.2 miles per kWh that’s about 80 miles in half an hour. Honestly not sure what would happen with a Super Charger. I haven’t observed anything strange with the charging though.

One thing I did notice on a shorter highway trip, 120 miles round trip, was at a bit over 70 the range drops faster than accumulated miles. May do the same with an ICE, but I’ve never noticed it. Probably because with the EV I was more concerned with it and watching
Old 01-19-2024, 07:30 AM   #46
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
When you get in and 'start it up' does it bring a smile to your face?
You mean like this? No it does not do it like this did.

LOL won’t let me add the video of my old SS. But no, that bit of joy is missing. I used to remote start that car so I could hear it before getting in.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:33 PM   #47
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Haven’t been on a trip of any length and likely won’t before I have to return the car.

Rate for level 2 at home has been 32 miles per hour of charging. At a Charge Point DC charger I got 24.6 kWh in 27 minutes. At my current 3.2 miles per kWh that’s about 80 miles in half an hour. Honestly not sure what would happen with a Super Charger. I haven’t observed anything strange with the charging though.

One thing I did notice on a shorter highway trip, 120 miles round trip, was at a bit over 70 the range drops faster than accumulated miles. May do the same with an ICE, but I’ve never noticed it. Probably because with the EV I was more concerned with it and watching
I never look at the range computer unless the low fuel light turns on. An over 70 drop should not surprise anyone. I did really well with GM's pre low-fuel light throttle bodies. But my dad's Jimmy was/is such a short brick, it won't hold overdrive at 75.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:18 PM   #48
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

So far, so good. If you can get passed the politics of this and let if simply be a technology and convenience discussion, the only issue left is really convenience to charge.

As I've said, in 30 minutes on a level 2 charger I can get about 100 miles of range.

At home? Easy, peasy. Plug it in to my Level 2 and you get over 30 miles per hour of charging. With no real math behind it, our electric bill has gone up about $20 this month.

If they give me a decent deal/lease after retirement to pick this up, I may just do it.

For just around town, this is a really fun car to drive. Instant torque makes quick pulls to the speed limit. Low CG with that battery helps the car corner quite well. It won't satisfy and SS owner, but I'd give this a run against a 2.0T. Like I said, it's only 295 HP so it's not intended to be a super fast EV. But very usable and very fun.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:09 AM   #49
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
How did you like your Atlas? If you could have that back, or keep the ID.4, what would you choose?

We have a BMW iX and mostly charge at home. It also has the free 30-minute EA sessions but most of the time we don't bother. EA chargers are usually junk and it's so infrequent we charge away from home that we just select the nearest pay charger unless there's an EA on the way, we'll swing by.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:01 AM   #50
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I have driven electric vehicles and hybrids; In terms of the electric vehicles I find them to be quite acceptable in terms of transportation in getting to points a and b. I think of them as very good utensils in transportation.

In terms of re-servicing (charging) I find the process to be a c- or d. It takes far too long and inconvenient to adequately re-charge an EV.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:28 AM   #51
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So far, so good. If you can get passed the politics of this and let if simply be a technology and convenience discussion, the only issue left is really convenience to charge.

As I've said, in 30 minutes on a level 2 charger I can get about 100 miles of range.

At home? Easy, peasy. Plug it in to my Level 2 and you get over 30 miles per hour of charging. With no real math behind it, our electric bill has gone up about $20 this month.

If they give me a decent deal/lease after retirement to pick this up, I may just do it.

For just around town, this is a really fun car to drive. Instant torque makes quick pulls to the speed limit. Low CG with that battery helps the car corner quite well. It won't satisfy and SS owner, but I'd give this a run against a 2.0T. Like I said, it's only 295 HP so it's not intended to be a super fast EV. But very usable and very fun.
I saw this video. On old car, old ford farm truck type of guy test drives a Y and surprises himself in how much he enjoys it, and says if it would fit into his current budget he would buy one for a daily driver after only about 5 minutes into the test drive. He gets lots of hate in the comments section by anti I love to hate type people. I posted a link to get a free test drive and it drew the hate like flies on poo

silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote