Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-17-2023, 03:13 AM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question Why there is no V8 hybrid tech available to the Camaro?

If the Corvette E-Ray has been a performing great hit for GM, I wounder Why they dont applied that V8 hybrid Tech to the great performing Alpha chassis Camaro to keep it alive?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:30 AM   #2
79 TransAm that never was

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 6.2 MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
If the Corvette E-Ray has been a performing great hit for GM, I wounder Why they dont applied that V8 hybrid Tech to the great performing Alpha chassis Camaro to keep it alive?
Because those running GM are lazy and would rather cancel divisions and models then to work hard to promote, change, and innovate products.
GM doesn't want to keep the Camaro alive because the Camaro steals valuable parts away from their cash cows.

I.E. Camaro sales didn't die because consumers killed it, the Camaro died because GM purposely killed it...
79 TransAm that never was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:36 AM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Exactly. They don't want the Camaro anymore, they simply gave up in 2018 as they wholeheartedly adopted the trend du jour and, to be brutally honest, in a lesser way also seeing how it sold worse than the 5th gen, and are now milking the last ounces of $$$ juice out of the car before discontinuing it.

This doesn't have to be the case forever, of course, but that would require a completely different corporate mindset and management, which isn't on the horizon.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:40 AM   #4
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
$$$$
Old 10-17-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Same drivetrain retails for $50K more in Cadillac badge.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:42 AM   #6
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
They can't apply the same tech to a completely different platform.

Where would they put the electric drive motor for the AWD? Where would the battery go? Where would the development dollars come from?

Never a possibility for the 6th gen.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:43 AM   #7
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Same drivetrain retails for $50K more in Cadillac badge.
None of the Cadillacs share the E-Ray powertrain.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:59 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 TransAm that never was View Post
Because those running GM are lazy and would rather cancel divisions and models then to work hard to promote, change, and innovate products.
GM doesn't want to keep the Camaro alive because the Camaro steals valuable parts away from their cash cows.

I.E. Camaro sales didn't die because consumers killed it, the Camaro died because GM purposely killed it...
True. I would love to remember the "YEAR" that I last saw a commercial for the Camaro on any regular programming TV show. They advertise and push what they want to sell.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:36 AM   #9
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
$$$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
They can't apply the same tech to a completely different platform.

Where would they put the electric drive motor for the AWD? Where would the battery go? Where would the development dollars come from?

Never a possibility for the 6th gen.
I was in GM Portfolio Planning until I retired in 2017. Specifically focused on powertrain and technology. Hybrid technology was considered but not finalized for a Gen 7 Camaro. We all know how Gen 7 went, so I won’t dwell on that. There were considerations of pairing a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder with hybridization to produce a vehicle that would perform like a V8, but much better fuel economy. I don’t recall any consideration of a V8 based hybrid for Camaro. It works for Corvette because the mid-engine placement leaves room for the electric motor up front where the engine would be for a Camaro. Leave the V8 in the front and you do not get an “AWD via e-motor” solution for Camaro.

By the time I left, the company was on a path of stopping development on anything hybrid except Corvette (too far along in development, plus e-motor is necessary to achieve the target hp numbers that are still to come ) and except China. Planned Buick and CUV versions of the Chevy Volt were cancelled (except in China).

The thing with hybrids, especially plug-in hybrids is there is development cost and material cost required to support two fully functioning powertrain systems. For GM’s portfolio, a simple hybrid, like Prius, does very little to help with achieving fuel economy regulations. A lot of truck volume to offset. Toyota does not have that issue and they are also way down the cost curve for hybrid systems. Toyota can afford to have some nameplates that are hybrid only (Prius, Venza, Sienna, something else I’m forgetting). So for GM, the answer had to be plug-in hybrid and/or EV. Because plug-in hybrids require engineering two propulsion systems and also require a fairly large battery, GM decided to skip hybrid and just go straight to EV. There are many other factors in the decision to go EV, I am only discussing the “hybrid facing” part of the decision.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #10
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
GM is also saving eray platform for the rumored awd hybrid zr1.

I figure maybe a SC LT2 with front wheel e-awd motor. They say somewhere around 850 combined hp.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq

Last edited by FlukeSS; 10-18-2023 at 08:05 AM.
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:36 PM   #11
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Thanks Martinjlm for the info !!

I assume like Ford with their E Mustang that GM would find a way to use the brand of Camaro again. Trouble is now that EV's in NA sales are less than stellar, I expect a lot of plans are now getting revised. What if there weren't all those subsidies?
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:07 PM   #12
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Because the platform has to be redesigned to integrate this. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. GM did the same thing to previous Gen Camaros. Killed it off just to bring it right back again. This time will likely be no different.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:44 PM   #13
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
Thanks Martinjlm for the info !!

I assume like Ford with their E Mustang that GM would find a way to use the brand of Camaro again. Trouble is now that EV's in NA sales are less than stellar, I expect a lot of plans are now getting revised. What if there weren't all those subsidies?
Current sales are a snapshot in time. More a result of limited product bandwidth and price range than they are an indication of future sales. The canary in the coal mine will be the Equinox EV. If that one sits on lots, then OEMs will be scratching their heads. Unless GM does something stupid like price it in the $40s.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 10-17-2023, 03:49 PM   #14
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Because the platform has to be redesigned to integrate this. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. GM did the same thing to previous Gen Camaros. Killed it off just to bring it right back again. This time will likely be no different.
Totally different situations. Gen 4 ended because it could no longer meet fuel economy, emissions, and safety regulations on the F-Body platform. There was not another available RWD platform to build a Camaro on until the decision was made to build a Zeta platform (Australian product) module in North America. There is an available compliant platform for a next gen Camaro (Alpha / Alpha 2). GM just chooses not to use it because it does not fit with the portfolio plan. There are a myriad of reasons why that is the case. It is very likely that Camaro nameplate will come back, and even more likely that when it does it will be sporting a plug port, not a gas cap.