#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-01-2024, 11:41 PM   #1
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Must Change to R-134A From R1234YF

Due to the lack of R1234YF in Thailand, (nobody has it and I've checked everyplace), and my inability to easily import YF, and the fact that 134A is not only totally legal here, but it's the only newer car auto refrigerant here in Thailand, I'm forced to switch to R-134A from R1234YF. It helps that I found 2 people here that I talked to personally that says they have done the swap themselves with positive results (they say). Let's see how long the compressor lasts..... I was considering taking the car to Mercedes and having them do it, and I still might, depends on their equipment and price to do it for me. I have heard they recalled some of their cars 10 years ago and removed YF and put 134a in on a TSB. However, I think I will have to play with the system a few times before the manifold pressure readings are where they need to be and the thermometer in the vent reads coldest. I'll be buying an evacuator and manifold and R-134A.

I'll post the initial install results along with how it works with the interchiller from Forced Induction Interchillers. Also, if you know something pertinent to this conversion, it would be greatly appreciated that you post, or PM me, because honestly, I've never messed with an A/C line before, and there's many things going on with the A/C simultaneously. The only thing I know is all the tutorials listed on youtube. So thanks in advance for contributing.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating making this swap in countries that have laws prohibiting such things. For the CAMARO6 members in Countries that don't carry YF or have the legal option to switch to 134a if they are installing an interchiller, etc., let's see if this works....
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:08 AM   #2
Dan82679

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Yes you are able to put 134a with no harm to the system and as a bonus you will have colder ac temps at a fraction of the cost
Dan82679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:52 AM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan82679 View Post
Yes you are able to put 134a with no harm to the system and as a bonus you will have colder ac temps at a fraction of the cost
Any physical changes needed to the refrigeration system to run 134a?
Old 02-05-2024, 11:13 AM   #4
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Any physical changes needed to the refrigeration system to run 134a?
Everybody (the internet) says this is no problem. They are very similar gases from what I've read. Pressure is also within 5% of YF. I got the manifold today. I am checking now to see if any of the shops want my refrigerant, as soon as the adapters come in....
My evacuator should be in tomorrow and I haven't bought the refrigerant. But what a difference in price. 3 bucks should fill my system with more left over. I'll let everybody know when I'm done. This is also important because 134a is a better refrigerant by about 15% (Once again from what I read). and that will be important here. Today, February 5th it was 34 degrees centigrade here, that's 93 degrees for you Americans. Moreover, I am in the process of installing the FI Interchiller. And in fact that's why I'm cracking the lines. So lets see how it all works out.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote