Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 01-04-2024, 02:37 PM   #127
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Here's your new marketing Oil news.

What's so super about Mobil 1 Supercar?

Is Mobil 1 Supercar motor oil being used in any other GM engines?
Only the highest performance GM engines are being factory filled with Mobil 1 Supercar. This includes the most powerful Corvette, Cadillac, and Camaro models that feature the LT1 or LT4 engines, and any future engines that require a dexosR-approved motor oil. Not only that, the Mobil 1 Supercar family of products are the first to receive the coveted dexosR-approval.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:33 AM   #128
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
This is the oil filler cover from my 23 1SS. Nice and straight forward
Attached Images

SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 02:16 AM   #129
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Special Oil for LT1???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I agree with everything you wrote. I'll add that, compared to 5w30, any 0w40 will protect better by having a lower viscosity at cold startup and a higher viscosity at high temps and high shear. It probably also has a higher flash point.

I certainly wouldn't pay double (or even the same) for Supercar, either. It's the same stuff as the previous ESP non-x3, and it's not as good an oil. Compare its specs to the x3 (which is also Dexos 2), and it's obviously a better oil in high-temp/high-shear conditions. The fact that it is available cheap ($7.60/qt if you don't factor in the free filter) is a nice bonus.

It's not just the cats. It's also the intake valves. Any direct-injection is prone to intake valve buildup due to oil because it doesn't get "washed" by gasoline, and there's no way to completely eliminate oil from the intake charge. The Dexos standard is largely a standard to make oil less likely to create the buildup (I don't know if sulphated ash is the only culprit, but I'm sure it's one). It also happens to entail the highest wear standards of any certification that I know of, so it's not as if someone is sacrificing wear protection to get the intake and cat protections.

Nobody's treading on your freedom of opinion. You are free to have any opinion you want, as is everybody else. You're also free to be wrong about the facts. In fact, you've proven that you have these freedoms quite clearly today.

Supercar is spec’dDexos R supersedes Dexos 2….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:01 AM   #130
paradigm

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I paid around $5/qt for Mobil One ESP x3 Dexos 2 0w40 and use the OE AC Delco filter.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:53 AM   #131
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
Supercar is spec’dDexos R supersedes Dexos 2….
The Dexos R certification supercedes Dexos 2. The protective qualities of 0w40 Supercar oil do not supercede 0w40 x3, though. 0w40 ESP x3 is clearly superior to 0w40 Supercar (nee ESP non-x3). x3 is also compliant with any owner's manual that called for Dexos 2 (it is Dexos 2 certified). It does not technically comply with new manuals calling for DexosR (did that start in 2023?), but if I had one of those newer cars I'd still use x3 because it's cheaper and better for heavy use (I autocross and track a fair amount). That said, if you want to stick to what a new manual says and use Supercar, I think you're fine.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:02 AM   #132
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
This is the oil filler cover from my 23 1SS. Nice and straight forward
Coincidentally, the oil fill cap on the 2016 (one example) shows 5W-30 because that was the factory fill at the time. If you buy a replacement cap now, the only one available is like yours. Does that mean that the requirements change simply because you have to replace the oil cap?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 09:40 AM   #133
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
The Dexos R certification supercedes Dexos 2. The protective qualities of 0w40 Supercar oil do not supercede 0w40 x3, though. 0w40 ESP x3 is clearly superior to 0w40 Supercar (nee ESP non-x3). x3 is also compliant with any owner's manual that called for Dexos 2 (it is Dexos 2 certified). It does not technically comply with new manuals calling for DexosR (did that start in 2023?), but if I had one of those newer cars I'd still use x3 because it's cheaper and better for heavy use (I autocross and track a fair amount). That said, if you want to stick to what a new manual says and use Supercar, I think you're fine.
Another vote for ESP x3, until someone can point out an actual deficiency compared to Supercar R, which so far nobody has been able to do, other than the cert and the price.

...and yes, stick with OEM filters unless you're sure a substitute has the same spring relief pressure.
Capricio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 02:38 PM   #134
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Coincidentally, the oil fill cap on the 2016 (one example) shows 5W-30 because that was the factory fill at the time. If you buy a replacement cap now, the only one available is like yours. Does that mean that the requirements change simply because you have to replace the oil cap?
No, of course not. However, moving from 5w30 to 0w40 is simply moving to an oil that has superior protection at both cold start and high-temp/high-shear (as long as they both meet Dexos requirements, at least). That is not a change I would dissuade anyone from making.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:56 PM   #135
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
I would say as spec revisions to the recommended oils are made, they've revised the oil filler cap to match. As previously mentioned in this thread and according to the owners manual, either one is fine.

Last edited by SSShark; 01-07-2024 at 07:35 AM.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:04 PM   #136
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Another vote for ESP x3, until someone can point out an actual deficiency compared to Supercar R, which so far nobody has been able to do, other than the cert and the price.

...and yes, stick with OEM filters unless you're sure a substitute has the same spring relief pressure.
Me too. I've been using ESP x3 since ESP went away or was rebranded as Supercar.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:14 AM   #137
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
I would say as spec revisions to the recommended oils are made, they've revised the oil filler cap to match. As previously mentioned in this thread and according to the owners manual, either one is fine.
They have no interest in maintaining multiple version of the cap for the Gen6. This isn't a consumable item and few people overall replace them.

The primary reason the oil specs get updated is because GM "expires" the old certifications in order to keep bringing in revenue from the oil companies to get the newer version of the cert. "While they're at it", they will change the spec slightly moreso to make it apply to a wider range of vehicles and conditions... NOT because they're actively working to improve the oil for a engine in a car that is now out of production.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:46 AM   #138
Msquared

Quote:
They have no interest in maintaining multiple version of the cap for the Gen6. This isn't a consumable item and few people overall replace them.

The primary reason the oil specs get updated is because GM "expires" the old certifications in order to keep bringing in revenue from the oil companies to get the newer version of the cert. "While they're at it", they will change the spec slightly moreso to make it apply to a wider range of vehicles and conditions... NOT because they're actively working to improve the oil for a engine in a car that is now out of production.
While I'm sure you are largely correct about the certification updates, that is not the same thing as an update in the oil viscosity. GM legit wanted a Dexos oil in the LT1/4 probably mainly due to the DI system, but I don't think a Dexos 0w40 was available in 2016...ergo the early Dexos 1 5w30 requirement. Once a 0w40 with Dexos certification came out (ESP), GM made that viscosity the specified fill for these engines because it actually protects better both at cold startup and in high-temp/high-shear use.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:31 PM   #139
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
While I'm sure you are largely correct about the certification updates, that is not the same thing as an update in the oil viscosity. GM legit wanted a Dexos oil in the LT1/4 probably mainly due to the DI system, but I don't think a Dexos 0w40 was available in 2016...ergo the early Dexos 1 5w30 requirement. Once a 0w40 with Dexos certification came out (ESP), GM made that viscosity the specified fill for these engines because it actually protects better both at cold startup and in high-temp/high-shear use.
I know the 2017 Track Prep Guide specifically calls out 0W-40 or 5W-40 dexos2 oil for track use... Not certain on the 2106...

They didn't change the factory fill and the general "recommendation" for all cases to 0W-40 dexos2 until either 2019 or 2020 though. And nothing about the oil or the certs changed...
Old 01-07-2024, 09:41 PM   #140
SuperSnake1972

Drives: 2020 chevrolet camaro 2SS
Mobile 1 0w40 Racecar for the win !
SuperSnake1972 is offline   Reply With Quote