Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-08-2023, 06:07 PM   #29
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
Ok but, I did my wife’s car with it as soon as we brought it home. I’m really disappointed with how some bird poop etched into the paint.

Which version did you use? They have had a few over the years. The newest version is the best and applies the easiest. Never had any issues personally with any of them as I’ve coated 5 vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:35 PM   #30
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I switched to a spray "wax" on my vehicles. They are fantastic if you are not trying to museum a vehicle. A good look at how they perform. I use the Meguiars, have been for a while. I personally love it.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:38 PM   #31
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I switched to a spray "wax" on my vehicles. They are fantastic if you are not trying to museum a vehicle. A good look at how they perform. I use the Meguiars, have been for a while. I personally love it.

Thanks Fran!
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:11 PM   #32
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
3D speed is an excellent all in one that is a polish and wax.

Collinite 845 is a gold standard in the detailing world. Part wax, part sealant it offers excellent protection for all seasons.

Remember a wax is only as good as the canvas you put it on. So make sure that your car has been properly stripped both mechanically and chemically. It needs to be free of contaminants in order for any wax to bond to the painted surface. It is optimal to do a one-step polish with a DA prior to applying wax in order to achieve the greatest longevity. However if you don't have access to a DA, your best bet is to do a mechanical decontamination with a clay bar and lubricant followed by a good cleansing stripper.

Wax is nowhere near being dead in the detailing world. Ceramics have their place as do carnubas.

If you are looking for YT suggestions Pan the Organizer is a good resource, as is Apex detailing, Autogeek and Ammo NYC to name a few. If you are new to the detailing world I suggest Pan as he is very beginner friendly and does many how to videos (not just product reviews).

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:32 PM   #33
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post

Collinite 845 is a gold standard in the detailing world. Part wax, part sealant it offers excellent protection for all seasons.

Remember a wax is only as good as the canvas you put it on. So make sure that your car has been properly stripped both mechanically and chemically. It needs to be free of contaminants in order for any wax to bond to the painted surface. It is optimal to do a one-step polish with a DA prior to applying wax in order to achieve the greatest longevity. However if you don't have access to a DA, your best bet is to do a mechanical decontamination with a clay bar and lubricant followed by a good cleansing stripper.

Wax is nowhere near being dead in the detailing world. Ceramics have their place as do carnubas.

If you are looking for YT suggestions Pan the Organizer is a good resource, as is Apex detailing, Autogeek and Ammo NYC to name a few. If you are new to the detailing world I suggest Pan as he is very beginner friendly and does many how to videos (not just product reviews).

This is a very good post. I'm still a big fan of a good wax and polymer sealant. Definitely will be trying Speed next season, heard and seen a lot of good things.

Ordered: April 2022-----Built: July 2022-----Delivered: September 2022

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
-Red Painted Calipers (J6F)
-5 Split Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels (56W)
-Chrome Camaro Logo Fender Badge
-Second Generation Front Splitter in Satin Black
JT6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:50 PM   #34
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT6Speed View Post
This is a very good post. I'm still a big fan of a good wax and polymer sealant. Definitely will be trying Speed next season, heard and seen a lot of good things.
The best sealant/wax combo is Jescar Powerlock and Collinite 845. Jescar has a specific application process (not difficult) to help it bind with the paint so be sure if you go this route to follow the directions. I use this combo on my daily as it does see some UV exposure and winter elements. The two give you at minimum in harsh conditions at least 6 months of protection.

3d Speed is a good all in one but because it has polish and Montan wax (different than carnuba) it does not have the same longevity. Still very good with impeccable gloss and very user friendly for light correction and protection. If your vehicle doesn't see harsh conditions (extreme Africa like sun exposure/winter/salt/touchless auto car wash) I would recommend 3D speed. If you do not need any paint correction and and want strong protection than Jescar and Collinite are a better suited combo.

All are very good products that suit different needs.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:38 AM   #35
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post

Thanks Val!
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 11-09-2023, 06:50 AM   #36
Mike C

Drives: 2014 Buick Regal GS AWD
I'm a former Zaino user also. Although I still use Z9,Z10 & Z-PC. I switched over to HydroSilex Recharge a few years ago. It works great. Spray, wipe, buff and your done. I can do my full size pick up in 15 minutes. Best part is that just like zaino, it stacks. The more coats the deeper the shine.
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:53 AM   #37
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
It kind of boils down to ...how much do you drive your car (daily or weekends), is it stored outside, do you drive in all weather conditions (some people on here won't even drive on a cloudy day in fear of rain), and how much do you truly enjoy washing, cleaning and detailing the car. Some people detail their car as a way to relax and enjoy just 'working' on the car itself.

Washing, polishing and waxing and all that has been great, for me in the past, where I had more time to work on the car. But today, products are better, time is harder and harder to come by to spend on the car and keep it clean.

I have over the past 5 years, had a friend do the ceramic coating to my cars and it's a huge difference in cleaning/washing after the fact..much faster/quicker to get it clean.

This year we got a new 2023 ZL1 and I did my first ceramic coating myself (watched lots and lots of videos). I have used lots of Adams products in the past and familiar with how easy their products are to use and they work. I used Adams Graphine Ceramic coating and the car looks great. Now I can actually wash/clean and dry the car in about 15 minutes. I'll come back and hit the trim/tires in the garage and done. The car is still as slick/shiny as it was when the ceramic coating was applied. No more buffing, polishing, waxing...I don't have time for that and I enjoy having that time back to do other things on the car.

Thank goodness you have lots and lots of options on how you want to detail your car. Lots of great products on the market, and finding ones you enjoy and feel it gives you the best bang for the buck is going to be splitting hairs.

The gang on this forum can clean the heck out of their rides, none are wrong, but they all enjoying spending time with their babies. For me Ceramic coatings and the new graphine products are the newest and latest technology to keep that shine and protection longer.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:13 AM   #38
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'm a former Zaino user also. Although I still use Z9,Z10 & Z-PC. I switched over to HydroSilex Recharge a few years ago. It works great. Spray, wipe, buff and your done. I can do my full size pick up in 15 minutes. Best part is that just like zaino, it stacks. The more coats the deeper the shine.
Thanks Mike!
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 11-09-2023, 07:15 AM   #39
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
It kind of boils down to ...how much do you drive your car (daily or weekends), is it stored outside, do you drive in all weather conditions (some people on here won't even drive on a cloudy day in fear of rain), and how much do you truly enjoy washing, cleaning and detailing the car. Some people detail their car as a way to relax and enjoy just 'working' on the car itself.

Washing, polishing and waxing and all that has been great, for me in the past, where I had more time to work on the car. But today, products are better, time is harder and harder to come by to spend on the car and keep it clean.

I have over the past 5 years, had a friend do the ceramic coating to my cars and it's a huge difference in cleaning/washing after the fact..much faster/quicker to get it clean.

This year we got a new 2023 ZL1 and I did my first ceramic coating myself (watched lots and lots of videos). I have used lots of Adams products in the past and familiar with how easy their products are to use and they work. I used Adams Graphine Ceramic coating and the car looks great. Now I can actually wash/clean and dry the car in about 15 minutes. I'll come back and hit the trim/tires in the garage and done. The car is still as slick/shiny as it was when the ceramic coating was applied. No more buffing, polishing, waxing...I don't have time for that and I enjoy having that time back to do other things on the car.

Thank goodness you have lots and lots of options on how you want to detail your car. Lots of great products on the market, and finding ones you enjoy and feel it gives you the best bang for the buck is going to be splitting hairs.

The gang on this forum can clean the heck out of their rides, none are wrong, but they all enjoying spending time with their babies. For me Ceramic coatings and the new graphine products are the newest and latest technology to keep that shine and protection longer.
Yes, mainly a garage queen. I doubt it will see over 500 miles per year.

Thanks for explaining your process!
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 11-09-2023, 07:59 AM   #40
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Mine is a daily,I wash it 2-4 times a month. For over 6 months I have only used armor all ceramic car wash. It stays slick , shiney and beads water. I may never wax, polish again
Old 11-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #41
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
Mine is a daily,I wash it 2-4 times a month. For over 6 months I have only used armor all ceramic car wash. It stays slick , shiney and beads water. I may never wax, polish again
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 11-09-2023, 08:23 AM   #42
13brv3

Drives: 2024 1SS Coupe
Timely thread. I just washed and dried the new SS yesterday, and pulled out my old box of Zaino stuff. Rather than going through all the steps, I was thinking of just using the Z-AIO.

Mine is a daily driver, and I refuse to pamper it like I used to with the Corvettes. I need something quick and easy, and don't want to worry about getting those bug guts off immediately. I'll look into some of the ceramic sprays mentioned, so thanks.

BTW, I also have a 2014 Silverado that stays outside. I literally only wash it maybe once a year, and it's never been waxed. I'm shocked at how nice the paint still is. I really don't think modern auto finish needs a lot of help.

Rusty
13brv3 is online now   Reply With Quote