Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #29
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
If I were to track a non-1LE V6, I think engine cooling and brake cooling would be my concern. Other than that, with the right tires and some camber adjustment, it should work fine.

There was a 2.0T non-1LE with SS 1LE replica wheels at a track day and it did pretty well. At the smaller track we went to, we couldn't see each other during the 20-minute session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d15b7 View Post
Those are really good V6 engines. Very powerful for their weight. There’s a guy in my region that has an RX-8 with the Camaro V6 swap with 6speed in it and it is very fast and reliable.
Those are usually LFX engines taken out of Caddy's and indeed, some 5th Gen Camaro V6. Not sure if LGX is popular yet, but LFX seems to be more plentiful and cheaper.

LFX swap has gotten some traction in the RX-8 world due to its relative lightweight compared to LS and RX-8 being a relatively light car so 300-ish BHP with healthy torque can work pretty well. And as I said, LFX is relatively easy and cheap to scavenge out of a lot of Caddy's.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:13 PM   #30
Autosenses

Drives: MK7GTI, 21 Traverse
Send a message via AIM to Autosenses
After a year since I put my name down I finally got an email with a V6 allocation. This thread got me going and then the email...so awesome. I submitted my build summary-going tomorrow to put down deposit and get more details.

LT V6 Manual
Shadow Grey Metallic
RS
Tech
HD Break and Oil cooler
Dual Exhaust
Front Lip Aero

Hoping to AutoX by end of summer. Fingers crossed!
Autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #31
Paulman

Drives: Slow Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosenses View Post
After a year since I put my name down I finally got an email with a V6 allocation. This thread got me going and then the email...so awesome. I submitted my build summary-going tomorrow to put down deposit and get more details.

LT V6 Manual
Shadow Grey Metallic
RS
Tech
HD Break and Oil cooler
Dual Exhaust
Front Lip Aero

Hoping to AutoX by end of summer. Fingers crossed!
Great news, congrats!
My first color choice too!
Hope you get it soon!

Prior:
'22 Camaro 1SS 1LE
'90 Mustang LX
'18 Volkswagen GTI
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:33 AM   #32
Paulman

Drives: Slow Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
They are out there. A quick search on Cars.com shows a fair number for sale with fairly low miles and prices between about $27k-36k. That may be worth it if you want to keep the car stock and run it in F Street autocross class (I have no idea what that does for any track time trial classes, though). The only real downside I see is that the V6 1LE came with 4-piston front brakes that are smaller: those are fine for autocross use but might be lacking on track compared to the pimpy 6-piston Brembos. Maybe some others can chime in here if they've tracked the 4-piston brakes.

That's a good question. First, it depends on how badly you really need the upgrade for track duty, and again I have no experience to say. Second, of course, it depends on how much it would cost you to do a similar (or the same) upgrade yourself. It looks like you can get the exact same parts to do the upgrade yourself for a little over $2500. That doesn't include labor, of course. Maybe that would be a better way to go if you are handy enough to do the labor. You could skip the brake option on the order form and see if the regular brakes on the V6 are good enough for track duty (you'd still want to flush the fluid and put in good hi-temp fluid, and pick some good track pads). Then if you decide you want the bigger front brakes, buy the kit. Either choice has merits.
Wanted to thank you again for all the advice. Rather than play the waiting game on a ‘23 order, I landed a fairly low mileage ‘21 V6 1LE out of state. Looking forward to track events with it.

Prior:
'22 Camaro 1SS 1LE
'90 Mustang LX
'18 Volkswagen GTI
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote