Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #29
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I am a gm guy but lets be honest here, for a base bare bones car with the A10 the 5.0 for 29k plus ttl is a bargain and performs like a beast even in stock mode. It is not nearly as refined or imho classy as a 6g but bang for buck you really can't go wrong. Smart move waiting on a used Zl1 bc at that point there is absolutely no comparing a Zl to a 5.0.
I agree except I don't know where you can get a GT A10 for $29K. Mine was $31K before TTL with haggling. I almost bit on it but held off.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #30
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
I am a gm guy but lets be honest here, for a base bare bones car with the A10 the 5.0 for 29k plus ttl is a bargain and performs like a beast even in stock mode. It is not nearly as refined or imho classy as a 6g but bang for buck you really can't go wrong. Smart move waiting on a used Zl1 bc at that point there is absolutely no comparing a Zl to a 5.0.
You get what you pay for. Reliability wise, the current gen Coyotes are crap. And without adequate cooling a base will overheat when pushed. Even the PP overheats.

I feel for the guys stuck with these cars. Even the 2019s are now ticking and rattling.

The only advantage I see with the Coyote is it's cheaper to get big power. But at what long term cost? The reliability is a toss up.

Overall, considering, you can get a 1SS for low 30s (or less) , it is certainly the better value IMO. More reliable engine, better cooling, better handling and more reliable manual tranny by far.

But I have to admit, the A10 > A8 and that's about the only advantage I see with the base Mustang and that's about to be a thing of the past.

How can people seriously pay 40-50k for a Mustang GT, and have to put some additive to quiet down the engine? Or worrying about whether their aggressive driving is going to break something? And, no it's not just some engines - it's pretty much the majority. It's a manufacturing flaw or poor engineering that Ford is keeping quiet about, but they can't for long.

I thought they fixed it in the 19s, but apparently not.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #31
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
You get what you pay for. Reliability wise, the current gen Coyotes are crap. And without adequate cooling a base will overheat when pushed. Even the PP overheats.

I feel for the guys stuck with these cars. Even the 2019s are now ticking and rattling.

The only advantage I see with the Coyote is it's cheaper to get big power. But at what long term cost? The reliability is a toss up.

Overall, considering, you can get a 1SS for low 30s (or less) , it is certainly the better value IMO. More reliable engine, better cooling, better handling and more reliable manual tranny by far.

But I have to admit, the A10 > A8 and that's about the only advantage I see with the base Mustang and that's about to be a thing of the past.

How can people seriously pay 40-50k for a Mustang GT, and have to put some additive to quiet down the engine? Or worrying about whether their aggressive driving is going to break something? And, no it's not just some engines - it's pretty much the majority. It's a manufacturing flaw or poor engineering that Ford is keeping quiet about, but they can't for long.

I thought they fixed it in the 19s, but apparently not.
I work at a performance shop and tbh we haven't heard of any issues on the coyote's (and we build plenty) on the motor side of things. The manual transmissions (mt82) are complete garbage and practically useless. I think it is a tossup on reliability idk. I had a 2015 5.0 and I beat the shit out of it and it never once gave me any issue. I sold it and the current owner loves it (also has a ctsv and a badass corvette). I would not pay over 32k for one if I was in the market but that is just me (I want performance not creature comfort features) and I think it's the best bang for buck although it's doubtful I will buy one for myself again.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #32
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
I work at a performance shop and tbh we haven't heard of any issues on the coyote's (and we build plenty) on the motor side of things. The manual transmissions (mt82) are complete garbage and practically useless. I think it is a tossup on reliability idk. I had a 2015 5.0 and I beat the shit out of it and it never once gave me any issue. I sold it and the current owner loves it (also has a ctsv and a badass corvette). I would not pay over 32k for one if I was in the market but that is just me (I want performance not creature comfort features) and I think it's the best bang for buck although it's doubtful I will buy one for myself again.
Only talking about the gen3 Coyotes (2018 and up). I'm sure you'll be hearing about them. Based on what I've read, the gen2 was a lot better. And the forums seem to reflect that. As soon as the 2018s came on the scene, there were reported engine problems. Kinda like the voodoo and the gt350. Just this past Sunday 2 guys reported blown engines (voodoo), one at 7k and the other around 2.4k miles.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #33
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
455 HP is nice, driveable, gets decent to excellent miles/gallon.
On the way home from work, I was DAWDLING behind Prius, and ahead of him, a Nissan- something or other. PITA. Diddling around 35-40mph up the highway, me getting poor mileage,, etc.
Came around a corner just out of a small town around here, and there was a straight-a-way around 1-1.5 tenths long.
Impatient, I nailed it. Behaved all day long driving to work, so I figured i would see how it WORKS.
After mashing the accelerator, as usual a fugger came around the corner at the end of the straight-a- way.
Me, I didn't let up. Thought the azz-end of the car lifted slightly, and maybe was gonna rip the asphault off the highway.
Passed those 2 cars like a missile. For an A8 I was astounded. Gawd, what a rush!

Geez, cheap low HP version. WOW, what surprise!!!
Still mild mannered enough to get up to 30mpg in warmish weather.

CAMARO is where it's -AT_!!!!

Love it !!!
Agree, I might toy with the idea of installing a supercharger from the crowds of current ZL1 and Z06 owners that are not satisfied with 650HP and are swapping out there superchargers for larger units. Can pick them up real cheap so I might pull the trigger and install after the warranty expires.